Author Topic: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)  (Read 273738 times)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
Re: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)
« Reply #495 on: May 01, 2017, 07:14:43 AM »
Check at your very own risk Game Upgrades 3.0 by Meeple Source! for:
Charterstone
Carcassonne
Camel Up
Pandemic
Colt Express
Empires of the Void II
Above and Below (will try to resist this one)
Islebound
Catan
Hardback
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #496 on: May 01, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »
Check at your very own risk Game Upgrades 3.0 by Meeple Source!

The dragon/mage/witch etc set for Carcassonne is quite nice. I'll have a think about that one. I'm on day one of my 'maximum of one game per two months' rule, but extra meeples don't count anyway :) I also absolutely love the character meeples for Colt Express but they're very expensive $55 for the set, including a lot of other unnecessary stuff.

Meanwhile I'm out on both Hannibal and Brass. Thanks guys for your sanity.

And finally, the second printing of Gloomhaven is up to $3.7 million with 11 hours to go. That is all.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #497 on: May 01, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »
Are you backing gloomhaven? I didn't sound like your thing?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #498 on: May 01, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »
Are you backing gloomhaven? I didn't sound like your thing?

No I'm not, just saw that it was in its final day. You're right that it's not my thing.

On a related note, the guy I played a few games with yesterday likes games like Blood Bowl. I consider my interest in board games to be an extension of my life interests in things like history/travel/culture, so those are the themes that I like and I'm not into games with themes that are violent or are related to sci-fi / zombies etc, regardless of how they play, because I don't interact with those themes in any other way in my life (sorry Dan, I know you like zombies). I'm not sure I explained it very well and felt a bit lame. But basically, mechanics and gameplay aside, I like to ask the question: what do you do in this game? If the answer is something like: you build a medieval landscape and claim features on it (Carcassonne); you construct wonders of the ancient world (7 Wonders); you build a landscape kingdom around your castle (Kingdomino) etc, that sounds like a game I'd like to play. If it's something like: you use a giant mech to drag a big ball and kill minions (Mechs vs Minions), then that's not my thing. That's still the first thing I like to know about a game before I even get into how it plays. Is that reasonable?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:26:42 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
  • Merit: 15
  • More complex is, more I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #499 on: May 01, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »
It's reasonnable, 'cause buying a boardgame, it's for a lifetime when you like it at first time. And with all the pieces we can buy now, we can restore old game with missing part, play it again and again :black1-meeple:

Offline GinCarc

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
  • No other game is like Carcassonne!
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 01, 2017, 12:38:49 PM »
Hi All
Just stumbled over this Kickstarter project by meeple source very few days left and not fully backed. Let's all put our support behind this project as new meeples and upgrades are always fun and welcome. Really like the character meeple upgrades for carcassonne. Dragon, Fairy, Teacher, mage, etc
Cheers Gin

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meeplesource/game-upgrades-30-by-meeple-source?ref=discovery

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 01, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
As I am reading through the MeepleSource Kickstarter, I noticed their improved components for Charterstone.  What is Charterstone?  Apparently it is a game that hasn't been released yet.  So we have reached a point in Kickstarting where we can preorder replacement components for a game that hasn't been released yet.  I feel as though we are through the looking glass.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #502 on: May 01, 2017, 12:58:11 PM »
On a related note, the guy I played a few games with yesterday likes games like Blood Bowl.

I've not played Blood Bowl in years and years.  It was a masterpiece, but can see it's not your cup of tea.  I'll never forget the time I used a Hafling to grab the ball at kick-off.  Pass it to the front line, allow my Ogre to grab the Halfing holding the ball, run as far as he could, throw the Hafling toward the tie-line and then use the Halfling to run the final 5 squares for a touch-down.  All that with only one re-roll - and with no gratuitous violence!  Ahh good times.

I consider my interest in board games to be an extension of my life interests in things like history/travel/culture.
I like to ask the question: what do you do in this game? If the answer is something like: you build a medieval landscape and claim features on it (Carcassonne), that sounds like a game I'd like to play.
That's still the first thing I like to know about a game before I even get into how it plays. Is that reasonable?

I think that makes perfect sense!  It's often rewarding being constructive in game.  I usually rate mechanics ahead of theme; which is why I love abstract games so much.  Some games do wrap up the violence of war behind a thin veneer, such as Hannibal, or even chess.  I'm also not sure about the use of slavery utilized building a lot of those 7 Wonders.  For some reason, I think building a pyramid might take a lot more than 3-stone and 2-paper.  The game mechanics are able to gloss over these things and the player-interaction is done in such a way to not be aggressive.  I know I wasn't a fan of 'Fleet' because it was about the whaler-trade; another example of a miss-theme for me.  I have to say that time spent working as a team to slay zombies, is my way of preparing for the foreseeable apocalypse.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #503 on: May 01, 2017, 01:08:26 PM »
As I am reading through the MeepleSource Kickstarter, I noticed their improved components for Charterstone.  What is Charterstone?  Apparently it is a game that hasn't been released yet.  So we have reached a point in Kickstarting where we can preorder replacement components for a game that hasn't been released yet.  I feel as though we are through the looking glass.

I'm thinking about starting my own Kickstarter campaign.  I'm hoping with the money I raise I'll come up with an idea for an actual campaign.  No doubt Meeple Source will create some meeple for me.  Hopefully I'll get some inspiration from them  :(y) :(y)

What do you think $50k should be enough to get me started?

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
  • Merit: 15
  • More complex is, more I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #504 on: May 01, 2017, 01:11:14 PM »
My pieces for carcassonne will be complete this week, so I won't back to change mine, backing only Brass and may be Werewolf coins, using coins rather than cards could be more pratical.  :black1-meeple:

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 01, 2017, 01:15:09 PM »

I'm thinking about starting my own Kickstarter campaign.  I'm hoping with the money I raise I'll come up with an idea for an actual campaign.  No doubt Meeple Source will create some meeple for me.  Hopefully I'll get some inspiration from them  :(y) :(y)

What do you think $50k should be enough to get me started?

:(n) :(n) :(n)

No no no, that is foolishness.  You have to get someone else to make the meeple for you.  Make sure they look and feel horrible.  Afterwards you let Meeple Source create "upgraded" meeple for you.  That way you can get your customers to buy twice.  After a year or so, you release a sequel to the game (or an additional map) and have it contain the "upgraded meeple".  That way the customers that bought from Meeple Source will be taught a life lesson and you continue to rake in the money.   

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #506 on: May 01, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »
You misunderstood, that was my plan.  Have meeplesource create me some meeple upgrades for a game that hasn't even been designed yet.  I'll probably include better ones in the actual game I produce, but you'll only find that out after the Meeple Source Kickstarter has ended.  Then I can ask Meeple Source to upgrade them again for the 2nd edition and repeat it.  I should be able to sell at least 4 sets of meeple that way

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 01, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »
You misunderstood, that was my plan.  Have meeplesource create me some meeple upgrades for a game that hasn't even been designed yet.  I'll probably include better ones in the actual game I produce, but you'll only find that out after the Meeple Source Kickstarter has ended.  Then I can ask Meeple Source to upgrade them again for the 2nd edition and repeat it.  I should be able to sell at least 4 sets of meeple that way

Ohh ok sorry, I misunderstood.

Just remember when you release Decar's game 2.0 to remove one of the original colors and replace it with a new one like lime green or hot pink.  Also create a new meeple for the new expansion so that customers that have 1.0 will have to upgrade in order to play the expansion. 

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #508 on: May 01, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »
I can do one better than that.  I'll repurpose the old meeple for another function entirely, but not include them in the new box.  That way new customers have to buy the old edition too.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 01, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »
I can do one better than that.  I'll repurpose the old meeple for another function entirely, but not include them in the new box.  That way new customers have to buy the old edition too.

You sir, are more evil than I.   >:D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Keep track of your Carcassonne collection in your forum profile

Started by Scott

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2022, 03:31:35 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Watch It Played - Carcassonne

Started by Decar

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 08:31:36 AM