Author Topic: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)  (Read 273770 times)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
Re: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)
« Reply #345 on: January 04, 2017, 03:25:21 AM »
This thread has been slow and focus on publishers rather than games (or the addiction to back them  >:D :o O0) so an update since my last reported backing ensues:
So after Medici The Card Game I've backed:
Einstein I just couldn't avoid the theme as I'm an science enthusiast and the puzzle type gameplay is a favorite at home.
Dwar7s Fall One of those games I feel I'm not backing just for the gameplay, or the theme, or the art, but for how they mix together and complete each other into a "I should back this" feeling.
Quodd Heroes Got cancelled on the last day and should be re-launched by January end. Innovative gameplay but the campaign timing was not great. I'm sure it will sky rocket on the second launch.
Tao Long Just backed this 10m ago, the art is amazing if your are into medieval Chinese/Japanese style art and although the gameplay seems like an odd mix of backgammon, with checkers, and (Nokia) Snakes it seem difficult to grasp but solid. In less than 24h it already hit the 60k (EUR) mark so it will get big.
Not sure if it will play well with 4 players but I ended up going on the early bird Deluxe pledge so we will see.  O0

I received Fields of Green , torn insert, poor quality cardboard, fair quality wood tokens, very good quality cards and really, really great gameplay. I'm loving it. I just need to source some metal coins, any ideas? If only the one cent euro coin was a bit bigger I would use real money.
Also received Fishy Tactics, one for the kids. The complexity will grow has they grow since you can add multiple layers, but unless you have small kids it's really not a must.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #346 on: January 04, 2017, 03:38:01 AM »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #347 on: January 04, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »
Tao Long Just backed this 10m ago, the art is amazing if your are into medieval Chinese/Japanese style art and although the gameplay seems like an odd mix of backgammon, with checkers, and (Nokia) Snakes it seem difficult to grasp but solid. In less than 24h it already hit the 60k (EUR) mark so it will get big.
Not sure if it will play well with 4 players but I ended up going on the early bird Deluxe pledge so we will see.  O0

This might be another one that I'll just let you buy and then I play with your copy :)

I have Santorini coming, and I'd like to get Onitama, so I think the two of those will do for me abstract-wise for now.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #348 on: January 04, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »
I'm beginning to like abstracts more and more. I got to play agamemnon with my wife a few days ago and we both enjoyed it. I also liked playing gipf with Dan at essen, but not had chanve to play that again.  Some of the other games in that series weren't up my street. It's hard to know what you'll like!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #349 on: January 05, 2017, 01:03:41 AM »
This thread has been slow and focus on publishers rather than games (or the addiction to back them  >:D :o O0) so an update since my last reported backing ensues:

I haven't really been on KS much the last couple of months, but today I saw a micro-game that interests me: Avignon: Pilgrimage (a stand-alone / expansion for Avignon: Clash of Popes). I'll probably get the original game as an add-on. The $50 all Avignon package is tempting, but I could pay $17 less for everything but the playmat, so I'll probably do that.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #350 on: January 07, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »
I'm of weary of Jason Tagmire / Button Shy Games.

I backed one of their micogames 'Pentaquark', shipping was 10$ which I thought was expensive for a 12$ game.  A week later they had another campaign, 'Ahead in the Clouds'.  I put a comment on the second campaign asking if there was some way to reduce shipping costs, paying another 10$ was silly.  Especially because 'pentaquark' was now an add-on on the new campaign.  Jason replied very quickly saying, they they should be able to delay the shipping of the 'Pentaquark' and bundle them together to save a few $$.  I just had to send him a PM.

So I did.  Heard nothing.

Before the campaign ended, I sent him another PM.  Nothing.

So put a comment asking about it.  Ignored.

So of their micogames seem interesting, but I'll probably give future ones a miss, at least until one of them arrives at my door.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #351 on: January 07, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
I'm of weary of Jason Tagmire / Button Shy Games.

I backed one of their micogames 'Pentaquark', shipping was 10$ which I thought was expensive for a 12$ game. 

Yeah, they've changed their model this year to have three-game campaigns instead of one to save on shipping.

The 'All Avignon' bundle was supposed to be $20 in shipping, and when I asked how much shipping would be without the playmat, Jason responded straight away and said $10. So from my perspective, so far, so good. We'll see if they deliver. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #352 on: January 07, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
So the playmat was half the expense of shipping - CRAZY?
Certainly my experience could have been an one-off oversight on their part; but really it seems to be operating more like a shop.
They'd be better to operate a P500 list like GMT.  It's fine bundling 3 mirco-games together; but they're assuming I'd want all three games!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #353 on: January 07, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »
It's fine bundling 3 mirco-games together; but they're assuming I'd want all three games!

Right. In this case I only want one, so like you before, that would cost $10 in shipping for a $12 game. But now I can get the game that was previously kickstarted, the standalone expansion currently being kickstarted, some other expansion/promo cards and another related microgame all for the same shipping price as if I wanted just the expansion.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 10, 2017, 04:37:26 PM »
So I went to the local store today and saw a tower of Santorini games.  They weren't from the Kickstarter campaign because the expansions were outside the box.  So yes it was cheaper to kickstart it then it was to buy it from the store (if you count the price of the expansion), however, it really stinks that local stores are getting these while our poor friends in the European Union are made to wait.   

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #355 on: January 21, 2017, 12:25:59 PM »
Tortuga 1667 is 900% funded with 26 days to go. I'm not sure if I'll end up backing it or not, but I love how the game box is a faux book and the game components look good too. I like the historical pirate theme so it's just a matter of seeing how the gameplay looks.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 21, 2017, 02:13:05 PM »
Tortuga 1667 is 900% funded with 26 days to go. I'm not sure if I'll end up backing it or not, but I love how the game box is a faux book and the game components look good too. I like the historical pirate theme so it's just a matter of seeing how the gameplay looks.
Let me make it easy for you, I've pretty much the same opinion than you and I found the gameplay interesting enough for me and simple enough for the rest of the family, so we can go on the Tortuga 1667 x2 pledge.  >:D ^-^ :P

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2017, 02:26:23 AM »
Let me make it easy for you, I've pretty much the same opinion than you and I found the gameplay interesting enough for me and simple enough for the rest of the family, so we can go on the Tortuga 1667 x2 pledge.  >:D ^-^ :P

You're a bad man. Let me think about it.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 25, 2017, 04:29:04 AM »
I miss the Hollidays slow season at Kickstarter since "I would like to get that one" games keep poping up.
Tao Long  and Tortuga 1667 are keeping very strong campaigns. I'm in on Tao Long although the add-ons are making it more and more expensive and 51% in on Tortuga (but who I'm I kidding right ::)).

Age of Towers got launched yesterday. It is the second tower defense game launched this year so we might be facing a trend, like Mars theme game last year.
It looks good, a bit on the expensive side, but if I know Devil Pig Games campaigns money will pour in and the content will increase as well, and at some point add-ons will be introduced and further increase the "take it all" cost.
Import/Export is also under the radar, but since the theme is real dear to me (I work with Container and my "Work Life" pretty much revolves around Shipping) I really need to study the gameplay and unless it connects with "real life" I'll not back it.
Quodd Heroes Got cancelled on the last day and should be re-launched by January end. Innovative gameplay but the campaign timing was not great. I'm sure it will sky rocket on the second launch.
Quodd Heroes is set to be relaunched on KS on February 1st.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #359 on: February 05, 2017, 01:20:28 AM »
I'm backing Order of the Queen -
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/99575233/by-order-of-the-queen/description

I back their previous two kickstarters which completed successfully and quickly.  The game looks average but the artwork and theme is great fun!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Keep track of your Carcassonne collection in your forum profile

Started by Scott

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2022, 03:31:35 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Watch It Played - Carcassonne

Started by Decar

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 08:31:36 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
Kickstarter project: Carcassone collection box?

Started by Guesclin

35 Replies
Last post February 15, 2015, 02:41:55 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
Kickstarter Help Wanted

Started by Khonnor

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 11:05:12 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
KickStarter - Backed Projects