Author Topic: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)  (Read 276988 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)
« Reply #315 on: October 18, 2016, 10:33:33 AM »
I've had my eye on Spires for a while and the KS campaign was finally launched today. The June 2017 delivery date is not ideal so I'm not sure whether I'll back it or not ... but in the end I probably will!

Meanwhile, Dr Stephen Finn (of Biblios, The Institute for Magical Arts, Butterfly Garden and other great filler games) is launching a new game on KS tomorrow called C.O.G. Here is the preview page. I love Dr Finn's games but I'm not too interested in this one because it's a word game and I don't really dig those. It's supposed to be his most complex game.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #316 on: October 18, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »
I think Essen filled my game quota for this month  :o :o

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #317 on: October 18, 2016, 10:53:23 AM »
I think Essen filled my game quota for this month  :o :o

KS games count for the quota of the month they arrive. Until they arrive, at which point they count for the month when they were backed.  :(y)

But yes, you bought a haul of games that would almost make MrNumbers blush.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #318 on: October 18, 2016, 10:59:09 AM »
I think I bought enough games to see me through to June 2017....I really hope so!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 18, 2016, 11:06:37 AM »
Well since I didn't went to Essen where at the very least I would have ended with a copy of Above and Below, at the maximum probably ended bankrupt, I'm starting this month KS quota with Medici The Card Game although the boardgame didn't ring any bells the card games touches all the right bottons, specially the non-gamer female ones.

;D ;D
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #320 on: October 18, 2016, 12:45:24 PM »
I'm starting this month KS quota with Medici The Card Game although the boardgame didn't ring any bells the card games touches all the right bottons, specially the non-gamer female ones.

Chooselife, you're doing it to me again!

I just got my edition of the board game (Dan brought it to Essen for me as it couldn't be shipped to mainland Europe). Seems like the sister card game would be a nice complement. I think the art for both games is great. Meanwhile the board game arrived a month earlier than anticipated, so Grail Games have shown that they can deliver.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 18, 2016, 02:34:32 PM »
Seems like the sister card game would be a nice complement.

Speaking of Medici and nice complements, I'm sorry for what I said about it. I think my brain wasn't working so well when you were explaining the rules so I had literally no idea what was going on for most of the game and let this influence my overall assessment of the game rather unfairly! ::)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 18, 2016, 03:47:20 PM »
Was also tempted by Medici: The card game, at least until I watched Rhado's run through. I'm just not sure there is enough game there? I like simple games but not sure it has enough depth, (draw cards and count points), though I'm sure it is meant to be a lighter game. Sorry for being negative about this but maybe I'm missing something?

Rhado stopped short of a full session (as usual) so maybe there's a kicker in the final scoring that makes it more interesting than what was shown. I want to like this game but now have my doubts. Regardless, it has great artwork and I really like Grail games. Another plus, the project is already funded. I will keep an eye on it!
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #323 on: October 20, 2016, 07:35:57 AM »
Was also tempted by Medici: The card game, at least until I watched Rhado's run through. I'm just not sure there is enough game there? I like simple games but not sure it has enough depth, (draw cards and count points), though I'm sure it is meant to be a lighter game. Sorry for being negative about this but maybe I'm missing something?

Rhado stopped short of a full session (as usual) so maybe there's a kicker in the final scoring that makes it more interesting than what was shown. I want to like this game but now have my doubts. Regardless, it has great artwork and I really like Grail games. Another plus, the project is already funded. I will keep an eye on it!

You're right in that it's simpler than the original game, but I like how it preserves so much of the original game while suddenly changing it from an auction game to a push your luck game (although there is some push your luck element to the auction in the original game too).

The crux of both the card game and the original game is that you want high numbers to win high boat, but you also want to control the various commodities for the points you get there. So a 5 spice is a better card than a 3 wheat for high boat, but if wheat is in the balance in terms of control, or if you need one more wheat card for extra bonus points, then that might be a better card for you. So essentially you have these two different goals in terms of the cards you're trying to collect, and sometimes the goals work in perfect harmony but most of the time they don't. That's the core of the game as I see it.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 20, 2016, 05:28:19 PM »

You're right in that it's simpler than the original game, but I like how it preserves so much of the original game while suddenly changing it from an auction game to a push your luck game (although there is some push your luck element to the auction in the original game too).

The crux of both the card game and the original game is that you want high numbers to win high boat, but you also want to control the various commodities for the points you get there. So a 5 spice is a better card than a 3 wheat for high boat, but if wheat is in the balance in terms of control, or if you need one more wheat card for extra bonus points, then that might be a better card for you. So essentially you have these two different goals in terms of the cards you're trying to collect, and sometimes the goals work in perfect harmony but most of the time they don't. That's the core of the game as I see it.

Great summation Jungleboy! I think that pretty much nails it. I didn't quite get all that from one viewing of the Run through. Maybe its the Push your luck aspect that didn't seem to click. I'll take another look, really like how this publisher operates.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #325 on: November 14, 2016, 05:31:33 AM »
Lisboa (BGG Link) is supposed to hit Kickstarter tomorrow (Tuesday November 15) and it's got quite a bit of hype about it. It's by Vital Lacerda, the designer of Vinhos, among other games. It looks a bit heavy for me but I'm obviously super interested in the theme since I'm about to move to Lisboa, so I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 15, 2016, 07:50:15 AM »
Lisboa (BGG Link) is supposed to hit Kickstarter tomorrow (Tuesday November 15) and it's got quite a bit of hype about it. It's by Vital Lacerda, the designer of Vinhos, among other games. It looks a bit heavy for me but I'm obviously super interested in the theme since I'm about to move to Lisboa, so I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

Unfortunatly Vital Lacerda games are just so heavy in gameplay and price tag that I really can't justify to purchase them just on the Portuguese theme alone.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2016, 08:39:56 AM »

Unfortunatly Vital Lacerda games are just so heavy in gameplay and price tag that I really can't justify to purchase them just on the Portuguese theme alone.

Yeah, it's too heavy and expensive for me too ($79 without shipping).

Lots of people disagree with us though, it's going to fund ($50,000) about an hour after launching!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 16, 2016, 02:32:30 AM »
Yeah, it's too heavy and expensive for me too ($79 without shipping).

Lots of people disagree with us though, it's going to fund ($50,000) about an hour after launching!

Indeed after 4hours it went up to 100.000 and it's already over 140k this morning.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2016, 04:29:52 AM »
After watching 7 minutes of the video, I think it would be more fun to actually rebuild Lisboa than to play the board game simulation.  Brevity is the key to great written communication and I sometimes think simplicity is the key to great board game creation.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Keep track of your Carcassonne collection in your forum profile

Started by Scott

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2022, 03:31:35 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Watch It Played - Carcassonne

Started by Decar

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 08:31:36 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
MeepleSource @ Kickstarter

Started by Purity

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2014, 02:36:36 PM
by Purity
xx
MeepleSource Kickstarter - Design our Mascot!

Started by Decar

27 Replies
Last post October 24, 2016, 11:40:04 AM
by gantry
xx
Tasnia tile builder game on Kickstarter

Started by Green Arrow

12 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 05:03:43 AM
by harvster