Author Topic: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)  (Read 277263 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2016, 03:27:56 AM »
I've watched the video.  There's definitely a bit of strategy in the quarry, although I think choices will be limited, because you're forced to take stones in certain orders (having to take all the stones & ending on the outer rim).  Mathematically, I find that sort of thing quite pleasing; I keep thinking there must be a way of stopping someone getting stones, but I can't see it.

I didn't realize there was a negative point score if you couldn't place a stone; this almost makes it's cooperative.  That's nice.  I can see plenty of opportunity to make fan expansions & queenies if it's popular.

I'm taking a long hard look at Heldentaufe - I remember playing the PC game and wondering why I needed a boardgame of it.  I think that's why it didn't do well last time.  I'm also considering Knights & Bikes - a computer game, that has a great art style.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2016, 04:16:58 AM »
The other thing I found out about World Monuments via the comments is that it's possible (and I suppose likely) that the monument will be incomplete at the end of the game. If anyone has to pass at any point in the third phase while still having non-blue/black stones behind their screens, the monument won't be finished. That seems like a shame, doesn't it?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2016, 05:09:24 AM »
Yeah, I thought that might be a consequence.  I wonder how far two people will be able to get.  I don't see the intensive for giving points away to your opponent.  I think this might be a try-before-i-buy.  Queen Games usually distribute queenies, I'd be surprised if the 4 extra exclusive buildings didnt become available eventually.  I think the mechanics are lacking in this game.  It might be nice to play with children, where the focus is working together to build a famous monument, I don't see it lasting more than a few quick games.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2016, 05:25:27 AM »
I might be starting to agree with you. I'll see what the remaining three monuments are and make a decision then.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2016, 06:19:46 AM »
I've been iffy from the start with this one and it can certainly be hit or miss with Queen.

Besides what you guys mention above I'm also bothered by the short funding drive and Queen's lack of review copies. I want independent reviews or at least impressions by others. In the end this is what usually sells me on a game.
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2016, 03:57:49 AM »
Any addicts seen : House of Borgia?

I'm not sure I liked the look of 'Landed' - nothing beats a bit of tile-laying - but the point scoring seems a little basic: Draw tiles, Make this shape, score points.  I didn't see any anguish or difficult decision making to be had.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2016, 04:47:59 AM »
Well it looks those kind of games that only work with close friends or family that like to bluff one anothers for the fun. A bit like Council of Verona.
Comparing with the other more complete games currenty under funding it is not on the priorities.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2016, 07:36:41 AM »

I did see this a little while back. I generally don't gravitate to social deduction and bluffing games much. The biggest fall down for me is they work best with high player count and I don't have a regular enough game group for that.

I do have a couple in the genre already, One Night Ultimately Werewolf and One Night Resistance. While enjoyable, these are more than enough for as much as they get played.

I will say that there are some twists in the mechanics of Borgia that look interesting and the production looks good. Just not one for me.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #128 on: February 29, 2016, 02:25:53 AM »
Meanwhile Saloon Tycoon is humming along. One exclusive mini-expansion has already been unlocked, another will fall in the next 24 hours and a third looks likely to be unlocked before the end of the campaign too.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 29, 2016, 03:03:33 AM »
Villages of Valeria is on the final 48 hours and although the SG for the standard pledge were closed in order not to mess up the logistics, the deluxe version will probably unlock the Exp.Pack2.

At USD17 (standard) and USD23 (deluxe) it does appears to have great value for the money but being a card only I'll probably let this one pass.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #130 on: February 29, 2016, 11:25:11 AM »
I am going to drop my pledge for World Monuments. If anyone is interested in it for the early bird price, let me know and we can try to coordinate it.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 29, 2016, 04:21:04 PM »
I am going to drop my pledge for World Monuments. If anyone is interested in it for the early bird price, let me know and we can try to coordinate it.

I dropped mine yesterday, along with 3 other, apparently. I was going to post something similar until I saw the early bird had dropped to 396/400. I just checked it now and it is still at that same number.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2016, 12:40:39 AM »
I'm out too.

Imps & Monsters is ending soon and the postagebis terrible :(
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/99575233/imps-and-monsters-ten-years-of-art-by-justin-hillg

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2016, 03:43:15 AM »

I'm not sure I liked the look of 'Landed' - nothing beats a bit of tile-laying - but the point scoring seems a little basic: Draw tiles, Make this shape, score points.  I didn't see any anguish or difficult decision making to be had.

I'm just getting around to looking at this now. The theme and the artwork look great, so that puts me 2/3 of the way there. I'll have to look into the gameplay a bit and see if the final third does it for me.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2016, 04:09:27 AM »
Steam Court is basically a fancy version of the game called President/Asshole/Scum etc that you play with a regular deck of cards (and that we used to play at university). It takes this basic game that's super easy to teach and play and adds a cool theme, great artwork and a few other cool things (such as special powers for each player, special cards etc). Plus there's a really beautiful wooden box that you can pledge extra for.

So I'll have a think about this one too.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Keep track of your Carcassonne collection in your forum profile

Started by Scott

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2022, 03:31:35 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Watch It Played - Carcassonne

Started by Decar

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 08:31:36 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
Kickstarter project: Carcassone collection box?

Started by Guesclin

35 Replies
Last post February 15, 2015, 02:41:55 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
Kickstarter Help Wanted

Started by Khonnor

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 11:05:12 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
KickStarter - Backed Projects