Author Topic: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)  (Read 276498 times)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
Re: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2016, 12:09:25 PM »
Saloon Tycoon lools really good and the 3D aspect jumps to the eye.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2016, 12:59:06 PM »

I agree and I'll probably end up backing it. Then if I get Colt Express we can have Wild West game days!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2016, 03:04:32 PM »

I agree and I'll probably end up backing it. Then if I get Colt Express we can have Wild West game days!
That's the spirit :)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2016, 03:51:07 AM »
I backed Saloon Tycoon. Shipping to Switzerland is an outrageous $40 (the same price as the pledge for the game), but fortunately I can have it shipped to France for $15 instead. Unfortunately shipping worldwide is expensive for this game, but for some reason France (along with Canada) is the second cheapest, after the US ($10). They are also trying to use shipping hubs to make shipping much cheaper, but that only works in areas with a lot of backers.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2016, 03:55:13 AM »
Well if I not end up backing it I will help you unpack  >:D >:D :))

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2016, 06:41:15 AM »
Second edition of what seems to be a quite hard to get game.
A lot of things going on and possibly a bit too complicated to me.
Mi Tierra Nueva Era (Second Edition)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1329697199/mi-tierra-nueva-era-second-edition?ref=category_newest

The Butterfly Garden looks like a simple collect and pair card game but with a quite nice artwork, and the price is comely.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/337407318/the-butterfly-garden?ref=category_newest

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2016, 10:30:15 AM »
Second edition of what seems to be a quite hard to get game.
A lot of things going on and possibly a bit too complicated to me.
Mi Tierra Nueva Era (Second Edition)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1329697199/mi-tierra-nueva-era-second-edition?ref=category_newest

Yeah, it looks like a farmer-resource-Agricola-lite type of game, and that's not for me.

The Butterfly Garden looks like a simple collect and pair card game but with a quite nice artwork, and the price is comely.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/337407318/the-butterfly-garden?ref=category_newest

This appeals to me more. I have three of Dr Finn's games (Biblios, Biblios Dice and The Institute for Magical Arts) coming to me in the post as I type and they should arrive within the next few days, so hopefully I'll be able to play some of them before the end of this Kickstarter campaign. The Butterfly Garden looks simpler, but wife-friendly, so maybe I should ask her.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2016, 10:33:34 AM »
LAND - a historically-themed game set in the 2nd century BCE. Unfortunately they made a mistake on the length of the campaign when launching the KS and now they have to relaunch it, so it's not off to a great start.

This is now up and running here. It's a first-time campaign and it looks like there are some rookie mistakes - no reviews and no gameplay tutorial/video yet. I'm interested in the theme but that's about all I can say at the moment, so I'll have to watch the campaign and see if I get enough information to make a decision.

While I'm at it, Lex Arena's campaign finished today and it wasn't funded. The designers have said they would like to make a limited number of copies and sell them rather than do another KS campaign.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2016, 05:39:32 PM »
Has anyone else got onto the new Queen Games: World Monuments?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/world-monuments

I woke up to a notice form QG and have a spot on hold. Not sure there is enough game here but the quality looks good and the simple mechanics make it tempting. There are no preview - reviews and just a few vids from the publisher and also one from BGG.

From KS page:

I hadn't heard of the designer, Piero Cioni, that looks to have 15 published credits. The highest BGG rating is for Daimyo published in 2005 – 6.48 BGG ratings. #220 in Abstract games. Not a bad pedigree overall but nothing outstanding either. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/2752/piero-cioni

World monuments has an Abstract feel but not sure there is enough game there. The primary decisions are what stones to Quarry and what order to place pieces for best point outcome. The game boards and the nice chunky wood pieces look great.

It was interesting watching the early uptake on this. When I first checked the Early bird threshold hold was at 74 taken of 200. While I looked for references to the game I came back to the KS page it had drop to 66 of 200. At this point I decided to hold a spot.

By the time I got to work and checked in on the KS. All 200 early birds were gone. After work and looking into the progess, QG up'd the Early Bird to 350 backers (!?). As I type there are now only 17 spots left before the $50 buy-in goes up $10. (all USD).

Also interested how many time others have held a Crowdfunding spot and cancelled their pledge before completion? I haven't done it often, maybe 2 or 3 times.

Edit: Apologies for the late addition. I forgot to mention, there are four extra monument boards with the Kickstarter. The non-KS edition only comes with 4 monuments. The individual maps add modifications beyond just the look of the buildings. No, I don't work for Queen games  :)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:06:17 PM by franks, Reason: Added info I thought might be important to some. »
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2016, 01:11:39 AM »
I'm in an Early Bird slot - TBD though!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2016, 03:28:00 AM »
Well World Monuments does look as refreshing and as Jungleboy magically put it referring to Butterfly Garden:
... looks simpler, but wife-friendly,...
on top of that my daughter should be able to quickly pick up on it, if we take the scoring part, so even better.

I'll keep it on close watch as there are still some early birds available but at +60Eur with shipping it's a lot. Nevertheless I'm currently backing Heldentaufe, following Villages of Valeria, Joking Hazard and Saloon Tycoon and waiting fulfillment on another 5 so more and more I'm feeling like:
Hello my name is Franks and I have a problem  :P  ;D
;D ;D ;D

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2016, 03:41:52 AM »
Thanks for your detailed post franks! I discovered this shortly before your post and backed it.

A few points:

1. This is the first time in my short Kickstarter 'career' that I backed something without being sure if I would honour my pledge. I saw that there were two early birds left so I grabbed it without thinking twice. Now I see that the number of early birds keeps rising, which is a bit tricksies. They are making people think they need to back it immediately to be sure of an early bird, then they just add 50 more early birds when it gets full.

2. Now that I've had a chance to look at it a bit more closely, I think the game looks cool. I'm not sure how deep it is but I love wooden pieces and I love the world monuments idea - the wood/abstract/building reminds me of Medina, which (I think) is sitting in a box across from me in wrapping paper as I type. The scoring for World Monuments is simpler than for Medina and there are fewer choices of what do to with your pieces, but the quarry aspect adds another level to the game in that not everyone begins with the same pieces.

3. I'm a 'cultural traveller' (for lack of a better term) so I'm interested in the theme of travel (e.g. I have seen in person all five of the buildings revealed so far). Therefore the last four buildings that are part of the KS exclusive are important for me. We already know (thanks to Decar's guess) that the first one is the sphinx. As I posted in the comments, I'm hoping for ancient/medieval buildings for the remaining ones because that's what I'm interested in, and I'm pretty sure I'll never build the US Capitol. But theme is more important to me than to most people. This is why I don't really understand the 'abstract' concept that much. I am much more interested in building St. Peter's than the US Capitol, even if they're both just about placing wooden blocks to form an abstract version of the building.

Edit: added some stuff.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:50:27 AM by jungleboy »

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2016, 04:36:16 AM »
Well World Monuments does look as refreshing and as Jungleboy magically put it referring to Butterfly Garden:
... looks simpler, but wife-friendly,...
on top of that my daughter should be able to quickly pick up on it, if we take the scoring part, so even better.

I'll keep it on close watch as there are still some early birds available but at +60Eur with shipping it's a lot. Nevertheless I'm currently backing Heldentaufe, following Villages of Valeria, Joking Hazard and Saloon Tycoon and waiting fulfillment on another 5 so more and more I'm feeling like:
Hello my name is Franks and I have a problem  :P  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Apparently admitting one has a problem is the first step in therapy  :o

Wife friendly is very important in my household as well.

jungleboy - Yes, I see QG has increased the 'Early Bird' to 400! In regards to theme, building the monuments has some uniqueness to it but the theme feels a little thin besides that. Not sure if they could introduce other game elements in future expansions to help with the theme, (and maybe complexity). The building block aspect and completing the monument does look fun though.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2016, 06:16:29 AM »
I'm not seeing the strategy here - specially not for 2-players.  One player gets to move once to take a piece from the quarry, second player gets to take two.  Then 3, then 4 .etc...  Looks like there are 25 stones.  I think that means player 2 will have two less stones.  In two player, the player with the least level-1 blocks will probably win unless they get level 3s to go with them.  I wonder if blue blocks make enough difference and there's enough strategy selecting blocks from the quarry.

I'll need to watch the gameplay video, but I think I'm out.  Great components, great idea, weak mechanics.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2016, 08:27:22 AM »
I'll need to watch the gameplay video, but I think I'm out.  Great components, great idea, weak mechanics.

My problem is that I'm a sucker for components and idea/theme.

So, about the mechanics, let's try to figure it all out. I think the quarrying might have more to it than it seems, not only in terms of the blocks you select for yourself, but also how you position the quarry pawn at the end of your turn. It's not that you get to take a certain number of stones per move, it's that you get to move the quarry pawn a certain number of spaces per move. If there are no stones on the spaces you move through, you don't get any stones. So you may have to decide at a certain point whether you want to get the most valuable stones, or perhaps take less valuable stones but position the quarry pawn in such a way that the next player will end up with fewer stones.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Keep track of your Carcassonne collection in your forum profile

Started by Scott

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2022, 03:31:35 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Watch It Played - Carcassonne

Started by Decar

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 08:31:36 AM