Author Topic: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)  (Read 273653 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2016, 04:57:59 AM »
I've not played enough CATAN to formulate an opinion. Given it needs 3 players unless you have an expansion, I've not had much chance to play.  I like the resource gathering, but it's the trading I dislike.  Wood for Sheep?  Games where players become deadlocked, knowing if they agree to an exchange they lose, never seem to appeal to me.  I like resource gathering games, I've mentioned Above & Below & Artifacts Inc.  I find it quite pleasing constructing a machine to turn stone into gold, through levels of careful balancing. 

You should take a look at Orleans, I like the mediæval artwork and colour schemes, but the game can be solo orientated even with high player counts.  The core of the game is building engines which can work based on your random bag pull.  I got the expansion for Xmas that makes it Co-op, but I've yet to sit down and try it.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2016, 05:12:19 AM »
Remember me never to play Monopoly with you. :D

Well, Monopoly has its own problems of course. It lasts forever, players get eliminated hours before the end, etc. But I am fine with the buying and selling in Monopoly. It's collecting random resources and trading them for something else in an arbitrary way that bugs me.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2016, 06:31:25 AM »
I think Catan is a lot more interesting than Monopoly, but I don’t think there’s much in it in terms of fun for me personally. I haven’t played it with any of the expansions, but it seems to me like both games suffer from some common problems. Whilst you can’t actually be eliminated from a game of Catan until someone else has won, you might as well be if you don’t get off to a good start. Once one or two players have started doing well for themselves, it’s downhill all the way for everyone else. No other game has ever made me feel so irrelevant/ superfluous, even when I’ve been doing badly at it! Plus there’s the trading as has already been mentioned. I don’t like the idea of players inventing their own trades between them in any game as it always results in someone feeling as though they’ve been victimised (rightly or wrongly). It’s the same in Monopoly. I prefer to have a set of rules to stick to, even when I don’t always like the rules.

As for resources in general, I usually find I get on pretty well with them. 7 Wonders is the first game that springs to mind and I’m a big fan of that. Regardless of what the resources are, or what they represent, I like how I can try to win 1 of x and 2 of y in order to build z, or do I go for 3 of x and 1 of y in order to build z2? How decisions like this affect the game and determine your overall strategy is really interesting to me, moreso than theme or artwork, and the fact that I can’t really build a temple with 2 bricks, 2 planks of wood and a bottle of water doesn’t even enter my mind.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2016, 06:45:16 AM »
Well said Dan. The resource aspect is what has made me hesitate over 7 Wonders too, but if you don't like Catan but like 7 Wonders, maybe there's hope for me too :)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2016, 07:41:42 AM »
Medici is down to its last 8 hours. They added two more stretch goals today and one of them has already been reached at $52,000. They need $55,000 for the next one, which is upgraded card quality.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2016, 02:03:53 AM »
New additions to Kickstarter:

This one look neat as it will probably touch a lot of gamers preferences, it has tile laying, resource management, in game mission, dice fighting....
Heldentaufe - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heldentaufe/heldentaufe-the-adventure-board-game-for-the-whole?ref=category_newest
And with a online demo also http://demo.heldentaufe.ch/?lang=en

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2016, 03:48:48 AM »
Two Roman-themed games that are on my 'to buy' list are having new editions published through Kickstarter this year, though neither campaign has begun yet.

The first is the classic two-person war game Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage. I was considering getting this game when I go to Rome later this month, but now I guess I'll wait to see what the KS edition looks like.

The second is Colosseum. The original 2007 edition looks like it has quite cool artwork to begin with, so some people on BGG are questioning the point of making a new edition. And the KS campaign has already been delayed, so we'll have to wait and see what happens here.

But anyway, look out for these on KS sometime this year.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2016, 02:12:09 PM »
One of the €35 early birds for Lex Arena has opened up if someone's quick!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lexarena/lex-arena-a-unique-strategy-board-game-from-ancien?ref=discovery

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2016, 02:18:18 PM »
Guess people are starting to pull out their pledge, this campaign has no chance.
But as a lot of then they will surely learn from their mistakes and relaunch it sooner or later.
Heldentaufe is an example,  successfully launch the first time and now will get funded surely on the first week.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2016, 10:14:33 PM »
Biergarten also failed the first time and was funded in its first week the second time.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2016, 12:16:22 AM »
Exactly. If they find a good campaign manager and specially one or two blog reviews it's a sure thing.

Even with the limited information I do think that the game is good to go as it is.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2016, 01:22:31 AM »
As long as they wait until I have some money left to spend I wouldn't mind backing Lex Arena (the revenge) as well. This month has already been an expensive one though...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2016, 01:36:12 AM »
Two more early birds for Lex Arena are available as I type, but it sure looks like it won't be funded unfortunately.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2016, 09:10:42 AM »
I usually don't lurk around the Playing Cards category so I completely missed this one.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyanideandhappiness/joking-hazard

The mechanics are much the same of Cards Against Humanity but if you're fun of the corrosive humor of the Cyanide & Happiness it's a deal.
On my side it's to expensive considering the 32$ shipping for the 45$ pledge and that it would be quite difficult to find 4+ to play with me.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2016, 10:17:02 AM »
A couple more I just stumbled upon that could be interesting: 

Saloon Tycoon - a 3D tile-laying game with a Wild West theme.

LAND - a historically-themed game set in the 2nd century BCE. Unfortunately they made a mistake on the length of the campaign when launching the KS and now they have to relaunch it, so it's not off to a great start.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Keep track of your Carcassonne collection in your forum profile

Started by Scott

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2022, 03:31:35 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Watch It Played - Carcassonne

Started by Decar

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 08:31:36 AM