Author Topic: The Ferries - Question  (Read 19244 times)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Re: The Ferries - Question
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 07:13:45 AM »
I did also read the CAR 6.4 and albeit it can be confusing to some, to me it also states there that the ferry is only placed if a follower is placed on a road segment of that tile.
  What makes it confusing is that the entire text is followed by one another and the error CAR 6.4 has in the numbered list of the turn order. (I.e. the first long description text says a ferry is placed only if a follower is placed but then in the numbered list it says another thing.)

Yellow, I don't see where you are finding the references I emphasized in your text.

I don't find the CAR to be in error - in either place you reference. In no case does it make the Ferry placement requirement contingent on the placement of a follower. It is indicated in the paragraph on page 135 and listed in the turn sequence on page 136 as a separate independent requirement.

Footnote 405 even points out that some RGG English rules were incorrect when they made the placement of the Ferry dependent on the placement of a follwer.
???
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 07:32:01 AM »
I did also read the CAR 6.4 and albeit it can be confusing to some, to me it also states there that the ferry is only placed if a follower is placed on a road segment of that tile.
  What makes it confusing is that the entire text is followed by one another and the error CAR 6.4 has in the numbered list of the turn order. (I.e. the first long description text says a ferry is placed only if a follower is placed but then in the numbered list it says another thing.)

Yellow, I don't see where you are finding the references I emphasized in your text.

I don't find the CAR to be in error - in either place you reference. In no case does it make the Ferry placement requirement contingent on the placement of a follower. It is indicated in the paragraph on page 135 and listed in the turn sequence on page 136 as a separate independent requirement.

Footnote 405 even points out that some RGG English rules were incorrect when they made the placement of the Ferry dependent on the placement of a follwer.
???

I just read footnote 405. I missed that one completely! My bad. This literally explains everything, even why the Swedish rules differ.

:red-meeple: (blushing yellow follower)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »
I think the confusion stems from the statement, "If he chooses to place a follower on a road, he or she must place the follower on one of the three or four road segments." As intended, this is an enclosed if...then statement, with the implied "then" coming after the comma. The word "then" beginning the next sentence simply indicates the next thing to come in the sequence of gameplay. 

However, I understand how the "Then" at the beginning of the next sentence looks like it could belong with the "If". I will tweak the wording for the next version of the CAR.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »
However, I understand how the "Then" at the beginning of the next sentence looks like it could belong with the "If". I will tweak the wording for the next version of the CAR.
Thank you!

Also, excellent way of describing it.  Would you have some programming backgroup?
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »
Thank you!

Also, excellent way of describing it.  Would you have some programming backgroup?

Nope, no programming background. That's just the way my mind works. Of course, for all anyone knows, my mind works that way because I'm just a software algorithm that is currently passing the Turing Test...

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 12:06:45 PM »
Nope, no programming background. That's just the way my mind works. Of course, for all anyone knows, my mind works that way because I'm just a software algorithm that is currently passing the Turing Test...
Who told you that you passed?

:)

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »
Who told you that you passed?

:)

Touche.   :D

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »
Clarification of rules - Email with HiG - 05 05 2014 - Reply #2

The player, who places the tile, also puts a ferry on the lake. It doesn't matter if a follower is placed on a road, or as a farmer or if no follower is placed on that tile.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
The Wagon & The Ferries: Element Match-Ups #5

Started by Whaleyland

6 Replies
Last post October 18, 2015, 12:38:15 PM
by jungleboy
xx
Ferries, lakes, and farms/fields

Started by Allograft

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2021, 10:06:35 PM