Author Topic: Ticket to Ride championship  (Read 9357 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Ticket to Ride championship
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:24:10 AM »
Just returned from national Ticket to Ride championship. I think that the format used in the tournament is wrong.
We were 9 participants, played on 3 tables, 3 players on each. 2 games were played, one on USA map and 1 on Europe map. I won both games. But 3 finalists were determined by the sum of points from two games and by that factor I remained 4th. Maybe it is the only championship in the world where you can win all qualifying games and don't get to the finals :-\
What do you think? Is it fair format? ???

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1005.0
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
Re: Ticket to Ride championship
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:37:17 AM »
That is strange indeed.. and not logical at all..

normaly the amount of points is the second thing to be looked at. so.. meaning that there were 6 games, and 3 winners.. all 3 winners should be qualified and the amount of points would be used to determine whos 1st, 2nd or 3th

Offline Nebus

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • Lost in the CarcaZone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:08:23 AM »
This just sounds wrong! How can you win both games and only get 4th? - craziness!

Write a letter to the organizers and maybe they will revise the rules before next years tournament.

:black-meeple:

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:54:43 AM »
meaning that there were 6 games, and 3 winners

Not exactly 3 winners: in each game there could be different winner, so we could have 6 winners as maximum.
I won my games with 125 points (USA) and 134 points (Europe). But on other tables people managed to win with 143, 153, 155 points (Europe) and 122, 123, 120 points (USA) and got the higher sum. My point is that we should count points from two games, yes, but at every table separately! And we have situation that from my table nobody qualified for the final and from other tables accordingly 2 and 1 player.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 09:01:05 AM »
MrNumbers,
the best way is for you: play the next time your national championship with Carcassonne.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »
MrNumbers,
the best way is for you: play the next time your national championship with Carcassonne.

I will definitely play in national Carcassonne championship in September this year! It's by default :D

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »
...What do you think? Is it fair format? ???

That does seem very odd. They could have technically taken 3 from one table. That does not seem to be very inclusive. That situation would have left me very frustrated. I can feel your pain  >:(
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 09:04:03 AM »
That isn't fair at all. I'm no expert in Ticket to Ride (have only played it a couple of times) but it seems fairly common than some games are simply lower-scoring than others so the fact that you won should definitely be taken into consideration ahead of what your winning score was. You had a 100% record of scoring more points than your opposition; how many points were won by players in others games is irrelevant. It should be anyway.

I wasn't there, but I've read that a couple of years ago the UK Carcassonne championship was played in the same way and the players with the highest combined scores across several games won a seat at the top table. Obviously this is ridiculous, and most of those who realised this played in a friendly way to generate and share as many points for themselves and their opponents as possible.

There was at least one person who played aggressively and won all of his games, but ranked very lowly because everyone else has been playing such high-scoring games.

I can see both sides of the argument, but my personal opinion is that competitions are supposed to be competitive and being competitive is all about winning...

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 06:09:05 AM »
Today I participated in national Ticket to Ride championship. Some time ago I qualified for the finals, and here it is! We were 4, and all of my 3 opponents were familiar with each other - they are from one company, which plays TtR very often. We played 2 games - Europe and USA. I won the first one with 127 points, but lost the second with the same 127 points (winner had 138 points). In Europe I chose "more tickets" strategy, which paid off. In USA I took only 2 initial tickets (20+17 points) and tried to claim as many 15-points parts (consisted of 6 wagons) as possible.
Because of the format the summary of two games determined the winner and I had 254 points, and nearest opponent had 245 points total. That's the story - I am Latvian Ticket to Ride champion! 8) :D
For my win I received "Camel Up" board game, which I missed in my collection till today :)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 06:36:14 AM »
Wow! Congratulations MrNumbers! That is excellent and very exciting news. Will you go to the world championships now? If they take place in Essen we'll have to make a big banner with your name on!

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 06:43:57 AM »
Congrats MrNumbers, well done!!!  :(y)

TTR is a great game in its own right except my wife wins most the time  :(  I've encouraged her to get into a tournament, she is that good!

We still play regularly and I think we have all the expansion maps. I do better when I can get her onto a new board  :)
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 06:48:19 AM »
Congratulations MrNumbers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
Gratulations to you MrNumbers.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 02:19:40 PM »
Thanks to everyone for congratulations! ^-^

Will you go to the world championships now? If they take place in Essen we'll have to make a big banner with your name on!

It would be cool, but, as far as I can find the information, TtR World championship was held only once, in 2014 in Paris, 10th anniversary year for this game.
So this was just national championship without being delegated anywhere further. But still it is very cool to be National Champion, regardless of the discipline :D

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 02:41:04 PM »
Congratulations from me, too, Mr. Numbers.

I myself, by the way, suck at this game. Last time I played, I even managed getting a negative score from tickets total. :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
exclamation
"irregularities" in Ticket to Ride world championship final

Started by danisthirty

6 Replies
Last post November 10, 2014, 09:46:24 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Ticket to Ride 10th Anniversary Edition

Started by MrNumbers

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 11:25:50 PM