Author Topic: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?  (Read 135284 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »
I've sent again an email to HiG - Moritz Brunnhofer.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »
Still, though, after reading the latest posts, I can't see why everyone is upset.

Either buy it or don't. To go all ballistic because it upsets ones collection or dislike the graphics is taking it way too seriously. Maybe I've gone soft, for I used to be quite the controversial 10 years ago and that younger me probably be right there with you with the protest signs.

Now, I do understand the new version comes with a new element not existing in the old version, but still, they are compatible. If anything, the 'River III' exclusive in Big Box 5 is far more concerning if it's meant to be only in this box alone.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Gerry

« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2014, 02:50:23 PM »
It's not so much a case of being upset or going ballistic but we have an opportunity to give strong feedback to HiG of how (as paying customers) we would like the product to go.  If they get a clear enough response on the new tile layout and its possible impact on future expansions then I suspect that HiG will clarify things by putting the new format tile layout in the same class as the winter edition as an “interesting” alternative for fun.  Then hopefully they will get back on track with the original tile design and produce new expansions.  It would be interesting to know how many copies of Hills and Sheep they have sold so far as this is the best indicator of the demand .

I would encourage members to continue give their feedback positive or negative until HiG make their direction clear.

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 18
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2014, 02:56:04 PM »
If anything, the 'River III' exclusive in Big Box 5 is far more concerning if it's meant to be only in this box alone.
Yes, that is another straw on the camel's back. How many does it carry around now?
"We do not want to make someone buy a whole set just to get a few new cards. We like our fans!" - Donald X Vaccarino

Link

Gerry

« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2014, 03:01:44 PM »
If anything, the 'River III' exclusive in Big Box 5 is far more concerning if it's meant to be only in this box alone.
Yes, that is another straw on the camel's back. How many does it carry around now?

yes, but it is only the last one on the camel's back that HiG has to worry about   :)

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 18
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2014, 03:07:38 PM »
yes, but it is only the last one on the camel's back that HiG has to worry about   :)
The last one is one too late.

Offline thegreatone3182

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »
It seems to me that the majority of the negativity surrounding this new edition stems from "the fear of the unknown"...

Hey everyone- long time lurker here (I probably check Carcassonne Central 10-15 times a day). This is the first time I've felt compelled to add to the conversation.

I think danisthirty is exactly right here. The biggest problem (and the most frustrating thing for me) is that there's so much we don't know. The biggest problem isn't that they are updating the graphics (of which I am concerned), but that the communication has been so poor. It really makes it frustrating for long-time fans.

I immediately purchase every new expansion that comes out. I'm a guy who actually loves The Catapult. I can't give HiG my money fast enough. What's so frustrating is that there is so little communication regarding expansions like Die Belagerer, The River III, and even this new Abbot one. I don't know whether I need to fork over hundreds of dollars to try and obtain these, or if I should just wait and see if they're available separately.

The same issue is true with this new Edition- we're left with so many unanswered questions, so it makes sense that there will be some negativity and confusion. Many of these issues could be solved by just telling the fans what's going on. Others have highlighted the key questions that everyone wants to know. My biggest concern is that going forward, all new expansions will use the updated artwork. That makes no sense to me.

I hate to pile onto the negativity, but honestly, it's the lack of communication regarding my all-time favorite game that is bumming me out. Hopefully we get some answers soon.....

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »
Still, though, after reading the latest posts, I can't see why everyone is upset.

Just off the top of my head:

1. The new art is gawdy and overbearing. (Granted, art is a matter of taste...but the effect of those blue roofs on the map cannot be denied. In addition, the field colors and textures are not compatible with the original art.)
2. The blue roofs and white walls will obscure and hide the blue and white pennants.
3. We may have some sense of self-importance here because we, along with CarcF, exhibit a loyalty to the game, if not the publisher, that they likely do not receive or enjoy from any other orgainzed fan base. We have a member, and members at CarcF, who have been involved in proof reading and editing recent releases. Yet, with all this we are completely surprised and in the dark, and incensed as a result of our perceived self-importance. Not expecting HiG to ask our permission, but a heads up and an update would be nice.
4. Either we have to put up with the new and old art clashing, buy revision 2.0 of all the old expansions (if they are even offered), or end our collection...and by attrition, our interest.
5. Every one of our tile-based fanspansions is hereby obsolete (unless you opt for clashing art referenced in item 4).
6. HiG has released yet another exclusive expanion bundled behind a full price set of tiles.

There may be more reasons...but my focus is obscured by all the red I am seeing at the moment.

Either buy it or don't...

This is what it will come down to. The concern is the potential for fracturing the fan base and killing a portion of it.

...If anything, the 'River III' exclusive in Big Box 5 is far more concerning if it's meant to be only in this box alone.

I agree that this is a big issue...and unfriendly to the fan base, but pales when considering the potential long term affect of 2.0 on the fan base and the course of the game.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Gerry

« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2014, 08:35:06 PM »
Good to hear from you, yes the lack of information on their plans is definitely the issue here

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2014, 11:35:24 PM »
When I was introduced to Carcassonne for the first time, I instantly fell in love with it. I've enjoyed playing the game ever since for the last 7 or 8 years. Even when losing the game was always fun, compared to other games where coming in second is just as awful as coming in last.

Maybe it's the decision I made to not spend vast money on the rare sets to complete my collection, that made me realise it's all good and I should be happy with what I have.

HiG and K-J W brought me one of the best board games I've had a chance to play and for that I am forever grateful. I am sure that whatever the decisions they make is purely from business point of view. I may not be as big in this area of expertise but I do have some grasp of it.

Instead of bashing the companies because of a decision they thought was appropriate, we should at least withhold and let it be revealed in full bloom.

As some of the previous posts already noted: We know so little. That is just part of how a company releases a product. To keep us guessing and hopefully be intrigued.
  Granted, I was ok with the image someone made with the new and old graphics, but that was also just a photoshopped image, so we can't know for sure either way.

I for one, will give them full support until after it's been released and then judge. Who knows by then, I might even take your side!
  Or maybe some of you will realise it's not as bad as you thought.

O:-)

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2014, 04:36:16 AM »
Those with concerns feel free to email HiG... My brother is doing so. It's good for them to hear from those that are not excited about their new move.

Whether they respond or not don't worry but maybe they'll get the idea they need to make some more communication.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:46:44 AM by AlbinoAsian »

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2014, 06:34:16 AM »
They have an account on this forum:
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=104.msg649#msg649
They could answer directly the fans' concerns.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2014, 06:57:57 AM »
I've sent some emails to HiG - Moritz Brunnhofer.
But it is weekend here in Germany. That means they are not in their office.
HiG has access in the forums.

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »
Instead of bashing the companies because of a decision they thought was appropriate, we should at least withhold and let it be revealed in full bloom.

As some of the previous posts already noted: We know so little. That is just part of how a company releases a product. To keep us guessing and hopefully be intrigued.

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy, but I'm really not interested in giving companies the benefit of the doubt when they are being deliberately opaque. They walk a fine line when they just drop a few little hints -- they want the consumer to be intrigued, and I'm okay with that if it comes to hinting about a new expansion. But that's not what this is. We all have questions about the aesthetics of future expansions, as well as the availability of announced expansions (i.e. the potential need to re-buy large collections over and over again), and HiG isn't saying a thing. Guess what? I'm not intrigued, I'm fed up with corporate bull***t. I have enough other ways to spend my time and money that don't have Carcassonne in the title.

Offline minnesotapenguin

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »

Guess what? I'm not intrigued, I'm fed up with corporate bull***t. I have enough other ways to spend my time and money that don't have Carcassonne in the title.

What are you talking about? Corporate Bull***t? Do you think Wal-Mart is making Carcassonne? Do you think Apple or IBM? There is nothing corporate about this.

Hams Im Gluck is a tiny company. I'm guessing your local coffee shop employs more people than Hams Im Gluck.

They're not a corporation. They're some people trying to make games, and make a living at it.

First time poster. It's a great site. I'm a little surprised at how irrational people's anger can be over small issues. It does show a great dedication and love of the original game.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
6th expansion Count, King and Robber (German edition) for new edition is on sale

Started by ozgurceylan

24 Replies
Last post July 17, 2017, 08:27:58 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
xx
WTB: Carcassonne Limited Edition and Limited Edition Die Märkte zu Leipzig

Started by Frans0

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 09:13:14 AM
by Frans0
clip
New edition Carcassonne with "der Abot"