Author Topic: A Case for Calling the New River I The River III  (Read 17398 times)

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
Re: A Case for Calling the New River I The River III
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 02:49:52 PM »
Super-late to the party here, but after thinking about this, here's a river naming convention I'm thinking about. First a brief history of the various river tiles...

2001: The River (later called The River I). The original 12 river tiles. Contains no additional features with special gameplay effects.

2005: The River II. Has several important differences from the original, including altered road and city configurations, a river fork, a lake with a city that blocks farm wrap-around, a second lake (to support the fork) that also has a volcano, one inn, and a riverside pig-herd.

2006: The Mini Expansion (Games Quarterly #11). Includes 2 river tiles: a revised source tile with a road that blocks farm wrap-round, and a copy of one tile from The River I (a straight river with cities on either side). These 2 tiles are not effectively usable without one of the full rivers.

2014: The River I (Big Box 5 version). A reprinting of The River I with 4 tiles enhanced by either a vineyard or a sheep symbol (there are two of each). This has the same physical river/city/road/cloister configurations, but different gameplay dynamics due to the four added special features. (Thus, players debate whether it should be called River I or River III.)

So here's one way to refer to these that builds little reminders into the version numbers:

River 1 — 2001 original river
River 2 — 2005 River II
River 0.2 — 2006 two tiles from the Mini Expansion, no good by itself
River 1.4 — 2014 river I with four modified tiles

When describing an actual game where you've added the Mini Expansion tiles to a river, you can literally just add the 0.2:

River 1.2 — original river + Mini Expansion
River 1.6 — 2014 river + Mini Expansion
River 2.2 — River II + Mini Expansion

Any game configurations that use two or more full rivers would not add the numbers together, but keep them separate. For example, "Last night we played mega-carc, including River 2.2 & 1.6" would mean the base rivers II and 2014, each enhanced by its own copy of the two tiles from the Mini Expansion.
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 12:06:23 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but it is not physically possible to play with River 1.2 since we can't add the 2 GQ tiles, we have to remove the spring one from the original river , which sucks :(

Sooo, 1.1 ? :)
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 09:59:24 AM »
The numbers aren't really mathematical; they don't refer to the number of tiles you end up with. They're just little mnemonic tricks.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
River / River III from Big Box 5 on the market.

Started by Paul

10 Replies
Last post September 03, 2017, 06:59:59 AM
by Paul
xx
The River (III)

Started by thegreatone3182

1 Replies
Last post December 28, 2014, 01:37:00 PM
by Decar
xx
WTB: The River III