Author Topic: Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)  (Read 4140 times)

Gerry

Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)
« on: December 28, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »

One of the lame points of Carcassonne is the 2 tile city that scores 4 points .  It is basically Meeple goes on Meeple comes off.  Not exactly a strategically demanding element of the game.  The Castle was introduced (I presume) to address this with the option of placing a castle on the 2 tile city and claiming the points of the next completed structure within the adjacent 6 tiles.   The reward gained from a castle bears no relation to the effort in creating it and I wondered how other players felt about this feature.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1379.0
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:43:53 AM by Yellow »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Castles - Element of the Weak
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 08:52:49 PM »
Gerry, are you co-opting my Elements of the Week series? That's not very nice. I think I see what you're trying to do, but it kind of undermines my weekly series by mimicking it. I would like it to have a different name if you are going to continue this as a weekly thing. Thank you!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Castles - Element of the Weak
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 01:37:18 AM »
Gerry, I assume this is just a one-off post to criticise the strategic balance of the castles? I quite agree with you that these can be seen as an easy way to win points you haven't "earned" but Carcassonne includes a lot of this and personally I'm quite fond of the castles as I think they can provide an interesting short-term focal point in a game since it's usually possible to complete a smaller, less-valuable feature to undermine the usefulness of the castle.

However, I too was a little confused when I saw this and had to read it quite closely before I saw what you'd done. Would it be possible to rename this to something else as whaleyland has suggested please?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Boardgamegeek unofficial expansion list

Started by asparagus

10 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 08:12:50 AM
by asparagus
xx
What happened with the "officialy unofficial" expansions??

Started by mas9dj

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 07:54:42 AM
by kettlefish
xx
Unofficial simplified CAR

Started by Guy

9 Replies
Last post March 01, 2015, 11:43:20 AM
by Wasgo
question
German Castles – Element of the Week #45