Author Topic: Carcassonne Games Marathon: July 2nd in London  (Read 30729 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Games Marathon: July 2nd in London
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2016, 05:46:50 AM »
JT Atomico,
please explain the word "Carcathon" - I know it is a word with combination with Carcassonne - but what is the other word?

May HiG will be allowed to use the great time lapse video from you at their homepage, to promote the CarcC community?

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2016, 06:21:09 AM »
please explain the word "Carcathon" - I know it is a word with combination with Carcassonne - but what is the other word?

It's "Carcassonne" and "Marathon" (as in an endurance event).

May HiG will be allowed to use the great time lapse video from you at their homepage, to promote the CarcC community?

Yes, of course. That would be great. :green-meeple:

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 12:04:35 PM »
Hi Kettlefish,

It is not an easy answer.  The shade of each colour and the ambient lighting both affect my perception of colours thanks to the inability of my retinas to correct process colours.  I can't for instance tell the difference between JT Atomico  (green :green-meeple:) and jungleboy  (red :red-meeple:)?  But in daylight I can easily tell the difference between the real wooden red and green meeples.  On JCZ I cannot tell the difference between the blue and the purple or pink or whatever colours they are.

I always play yellow or white or very occasionally black.  If I face opponents with red and green and the indoor lights affect me then I don't tell the opponents that I have the problem and it does not really matter.  I am trying to score yellow and block/trap/not score red/green/blue etc.

So it's our secret.  (Don't tell anyone!)
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »
Some photos of a few of the games from my viewpoint. Comments and replies coming tomorrow.

Getting underway in our first game of the day - why, Carcassonne of course!

Halfling and JT Atomico sharing a city:

The first game ends in a tie for first with both Halfling and Curt on 69 points. Lucky we had the 70-point scoreboard!

Curt's hut in Hunters and Gatherers:

The desert landscape of Ark of the Covenant, which was (I think) enjoyed by all:

The end-game board from Carcassonne: the City completely surrounded by city walls. This was one of my favourite games of the day.

Halfling, Curt and I battle for a farm (trap?) in New World / Mayflower:

I never managed to complete this island in South Seas:

My first game of Gold Rush:

And my first game of Carcassonne II. In the end it wasn't too bad :)

An incomplete farm of mine in Over Hill and Dale:

The unofficial 20th game: Adults of Carcassonne!

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »
These photos are fantastic jungleboy and the write-up is excellent Halfling, merit to both of you! :D

I have run out of time in the day to do a proper summary post, but over the next week I will add photos of the end board of each game along with a brief write-up and the individual scores.

For now I will leave you with photos of our four intrepid (and colour-coded) players!

:red-meeple: jungleboy :blue-meeple: Curt194 :yellow-meeple: Halfling :green-meeple: JT Atomico

:red-meeple: jungleboy

:blue-meeple: Curt194

:yellow-meeple: Halfling

:green-meeple: JT Atomico

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »
I will do a full write up also over the next week but for now a quick summary of the day.

Specific thanks to JT for all the perpetration done for the day, and to halfling for the original suggestion. The time lapse has come out really well and we got some great photos of the day as well. Thank you to all involved for the wonderful day! It really was fantastic.

I enjoyed playing the games I'd not had a chance to yet, such as Ark of the Covenant, as well as favourites such as South Seas. Playing cardcassonne was great fun and has encouraged me to get my copy out again to give it a try. It was also very interesting playing the various rule variations such as first edition rules and the no darling for Carc 2.

Overall a great day that absolutely flew by. I'm certainly not yet sick of playing Carcassonne in its many forms and look forward to the possibility of another event next year with around the world 3 added in for good measure  :(y)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2016, 10:52:50 PM »
Thanks for the write ups and photos, I enjoyed seeing what you got up to - looks like you had a great time. Well done for completing all the variants. Merits all round.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Carcassonne Games Marathon: July 2nd in London
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2016, 02:13:34 AM »
2012 The Winter Edition. "Halfling does not make Jungleboy's day"  ... Jungleboy is not impressed ...  Scoring the other end game features actually gives me the win, so I think Jungleboy forgave me as I stopped him from overtaking me by 20+ points had he shared 'The Field'.

Yes I did :) In the end it won you the game so it was certainly a valid and good move to make. But if you hadn't placed it, I would have won the game, and I needed all the wins I could get by that stage!!

Some random thoughts from me:

- We played much quicker than expected, but in hindsight maybe it would have been nice to have spent 5 minutes after each game discussing the game and the strategy and digesting it all before moving on to the next game.

- I basically always play 2-player games, so maybe that was one reason why I did so badly throughout the day (as well as having excellent opponents, of course!). Along the same lines, the competition was brutal. Twice (winter edition and travel edition), I was extremely close to winning, only to come last.

- The timelapse is great, I love the ending! For some reason I also really like how the boxing and unboxing of each game turned out.

- The City is great with four, I think that was my most enjoyable game of the day. Plus I love how the walls completely surrounded the city, that that hadn't happened in any of my previous plays.

- It was my second play of New World, and that's the spin-off I'm most interested in of the ones I don't have. What I like about the surveyors is that it's a new mechanic that is felt throughout every turn and the whole game - unlike, say, walking in Over Hill and Dale, which is nice and all, but is just a small addition. So that makes New World feel like a very different game rather than just the same game with one or two changes.

- It was my second play of H&G, and while this is a very popular spin-off, I don't think that much of it for some reason. I much prefer Ark of the Covenant for a quick vanilla-type game. Maybe it's because I like history a lot more than pre-history!

JT Atomico and Curt setting up for New World:

And some quick thoughts on the new games I played:

- Discovery: I like not having roads and I like the simplicity of three scoring features in three different ways (a bit like Limes, although it's four in that case). The art is a bit too pastel-like for me but it was a pretty interesting game nevertheless. I could be tempted to buy it if I come across it in a store.

- Cardcassonne: As Halfling noted upthread, we all liked this. I really liked it, so I might get it. The decision about when to play your meeple can be agonising and always seems difficult. Four players seemed like a really great number, because you know that if you don't place your meeple on the row you want, it will probably be gone by the time its your turn again. The fact that buildings encourage taking different rows each turn and animals encourage taking the same row each turn is also a smart mechanic.

- Dice Game: This is a pretty weak game. It was nice to have a break from tile-laying during the Carcathon, but there's barely a game in it.

- Gold Rush: Even though I won this one, I wasn't too taken with it. There were some interesting new mechanics but for some reason these just didn't stand out for me. Colt Express and Saloon Tycoon will have to scratch my old west itch instead!

- Over Hill and Dale: This is a pleasant game with a couple of nice little additions, but at this stage of my Carcassonne 'career', it doesn't feel different enough to warrant buying.

- Star Wars: Not a fan. The Risk-like challenge for features just didn't do it for me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:23:35 AM by jungleboy »

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2016, 03:14:56 AM »
Another great write-up jungleboy :)

in hindsight maybe it would have been nice to have spent 5 minutes after each game discussing the game and the strategy and digesting it all before moving on to the next game.

I agree with this. I think we were all originally concerned that we might not finish all of the games, but then we actually had time to spare!

When the new Around The World spin off comes out and we do this all over again we can take not of lessons like that from this day! :green-meeple:

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 07:14:56 AM »
How many hours did you play in total ?

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2016, 07:21:08 AM »

We played for 10 hours, including the bonus game of Adults of Carcassonne.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2016, 07:22:26 AM »

We played for 10 hours, including the bonus game of Adults of Carcassonne.

Then we played some more :)

One game of Colt Express between the four of us, then once Halfling left, JT, Curt and I played Lanterns.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2016, 07:25:27 AM »

...and how many tables did you use?

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2016, 07:33:23 AM »
HiG is reading this topic too - because of my email to them.

I will ask here some more questions - I think I know some answers, but HiG doesn't know the answers.

- In the video - there are many different bags for the tiles. From which games are they? Or are there bags which you have created yourself- or what else?
- What did you eat at that day on the wooden plates?
- How many drinks / tea /coffees did you drink all day?
- Did other visitors of the "Draughts" look at your table and ask you questions?
- What does the "Draughts" servants say?
- And what game was the highlight for you in total?

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:40:16 AM by kettlefish »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2016, 07:43:22 AM »
- In the video - there are many different bag for the tiles. From which games are they? Or are there bag which you have created yourself- or what else?

The bags for H&G, Ark of the Covenant, the Castle, the City and the Winter Edition are mine: they came from Arts Cow, based on designs by quevy. Here is the thread where we talked about it.

- What did you eat at that day on the wooden plates?

I ate tomato bruschetta and mashed avacado on toast for lunch, and the same bruschetta with hummus and pita bread for dinner. The others can speak for themselves. :)

- How many drinks / tea /coffees did you drink all day?

I had two orange juices and 1.5 ciders (including half of Halfling's!). The English boys might have had a tea or 6 each and some unusual Coke. :)

- Did other visitors of the "Draughts" look at your table and ask you questions?

Not that I remember.

- What does the "Draughts" servants say?

Nothing in particular that I remember. They are probably used to having crazy gamers there! :)

- And what game was the highlight for you in total?

If I had to choose one game as my highlight for the day it was probably Carcassonne: the City.

I liked playing the City because I have never played it with four, Cardcassonne because I just thought it was an interesting game (and also well suited to four players), New World because I think the surveyor mechanic is interesting, and the Winter Edition because of the epic farm battle between JT Atomico and myself.

...and how many tables did you use?

One. We managed to fit two games of the Castle on one table which was pretty cool, check out the timelapse to see how it fit.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
All The Tiles marathon weekend?

Started by JT Atomico

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2016, 02:07:49 PM
by kettlefish
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
question
The Great Game for War Child, London - Carcassonne Volunteers Wanted!

Started by tristan.gaffney

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 12:13:34 PM
by Curt194
xx
New to carcassonne - borrow or buy? anyone in SE london?

Started by Fogarrach

23 Replies
Last post March 28, 2017, 08:21:32 AM
by Decar
xx
Meetup featuring jungleboy, Decar, danisthirty and Rich_The_Fish at d20 (London)

Started by jungleboy

14 Replies
Last post March 12, 2018, 12:02:26 PM
by CKorfmann