Author Topic: Ticket to Ride tournament  (Read 2082 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Ticket to Ride tournament
« on: July 28, 2017, 01:45:23 AM »
Many of you know that I organize regular Carcassonne public game nights as well as annual tournaments with expansions. Also some of you know, that my second favorite game is Ticket to Ride. Then an idea came to my mind: why I can't organize also Ticket to Ride game nights? I have almost all expansion maps, I can use the same place, all I have to do is to arrange base game sets from local distributor (which differs from Carcassonne distributor).
In November, 2016 on one of the Carcassonne game nights I shared this idea with community, and they took it very positively, one of them even wanted to help me with organization. I had a meeting with TtR local distributor and their representative was very nice and forthcoming: he gave me 2 USA sets, 2 Europe sets and 1 Rails&Sails set for my game nights.
In January I had first game night, we had 30 people and 16 games! In February we had even more - 34 people! This is more than my Carcassonne events attendance! Since then I have two regular monthly public events - Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride game nights.
In April I had a message from Latvian Railway Museum, which offered their place for tournament organization, with no rent fee. Is there any better place for such tournament?! This will be the first tournament with expansions, not only USA and Europe, I will use all available maps. Also I developed special tournament format, which is fair using different expansion maps. So the TtR tournament is scheduled to the end of August in this venue, but the final games will be held inside the real restored 1920's carriage (dark green on the website).
If, by the chance, you are interested in taking part - you are welcome! :D
Of course, I will publish a full photo-report after the event.

P.S. Forgot to mention the prizes: 1st place receives Ticket to Ride Rails&Sails (~80 EUR worth), 2nd - 50 EUR gift card to a boardgame shop, 3rd - 30 EUR gift card. Plus some prizes from Railway museum, for example, a ride with a handcar :)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3487.0
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 02:33:28 AM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Ticket to Ride tournament
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 12:54:34 PM »
Great work MrNumbers! I would love to attend either one of your regular game nights or your tournaments (even though I am not experienced at Ticket to Ride). I look forward to reading a report about your Ticket to Ride tournament.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: Ticket to Ride tournament
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 06:08:12 AM »
So, that's it! This was a great event! The only minor thing is amount of participants: 50 registered, but only 32 actually came, so I needed to adapt the format in real time. But anyway, this was fun! After 3 games in preliminary round only 6 players left in the semifinals, 2 of them were unbeaten. Those unbeaten players won their SF and advanced to final. The final game was won by the same woman, who won my Carcassonne tournament this year and who won the national championship this year and will represent Latvia in Essen! Extraordinary performance!
Here are two photo-albums from the event: one and two.
And, like with Carcassonne tournaments, this event actually will become annual :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Ticket to Ride championship

Started by MrNumbers

16 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 10:41:58 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Ticket to Ride UK and PA

Started by dirk2112

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 03:42:32 PM