Author Topic: I love the postman...  (Read 1160151 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: I love the postman...
« Reply #300 on: February 19, 2015, 06:20:35 PM »
That's the term I was looking for: "off-center". Yes, the fleas are off-center. I mean, sure it fits with their personality as bugs, but still, couldn't they hold still for one moment?  :P

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #301 on: February 21, 2015, 03:27:31 AM »
Another box arrives just before lunch:

Sorry about the flash!

Here's the collection so far:

excuse the unpacking rubbish on the right hand side :x

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
  • No, *you* haven't updated your profile yet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 21, 2015, 05:23:44 AM »
oooohhh!!!
where did you buy cathars and crop circle I?!?

I snagged Cathars from the board game geek market; and an ebay seller offered me crop circles after I bought CSS from them. Slightly pricey in total, but not as bad as I was expecting. £18 for a new Cult Siege & Creativity seemed fairly low to say I couldn't see it for sale anywhere else.

And how much for the crops and cathar?

Cathar was €30, and Crops I was €45.

Today I received my pimp package from spielmaterial.

From left to right: sheds, houses & towers; sheep; crops, cloth & wine; castles; Robber Baron & King pieces to mark relevant features.

Now I've made up all of my tuckboxes too, everything looks so good in my artbin ;D

Only the tunnel to go!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 21, 2015, 05:49:35 AM »

From left to right: sheds, houses & towers; sheep; crops, cloth & wine; castles; Robber Baron & King pieces to mark relevant features.
I suppose, the castles are these unpainted? Can you please make photos, how they look like on an actual "4 point city"?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:51:50 AM by Hounk »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 21, 2015, 06:07:13 AM »
I know that not everyone gets as excited as I do about custom meeples but today the postman brought me something very special: a full set of pewter meeples made by ailurus of these forums  :gray-meeple::

(8 standard meeples)

(shepherd, normal meeple [for comparison], large meeple, pig and builder)

(barn, mayor, wagon, messenger meeple, robber)

(and this nice little bonus: a keyring engraved with my initial on either side!)

These are incredible! Thanks so much to you ailurus, you are truly a master craftsman!  :) :(y)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:08:28 AM by danisthirty »

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 21, 2015, 07:31:49 AM »

I suppose, the castles are these unpainted? Can you please make photos, how they look like on an actual "4 point city"?

They are indeed; grey though, not unpainted. When I was ordering, I was worried that the castles were going to be too small, however it turns out that they're just the right size to fit within the walls of a two tile city and support a follower:

Still, would be nice to have a bit more detail in the design in my opinion.

Without wanting to get too off topic, here are some photos of the others in action if they'll help anyone. I bought the pieces to stand out clearer than the tokens that come in the expansions so that they're more visible when putting together a game of megacarc.

The Sheep look good with the shepherd.

The tower's design could be slightly more in-line with the game's architecture and I probably should have bought a different colour for the houses to distinguish from the sheds; but over all I'm very happy with how these look.

The trade goods look good sitting in the cities, and match up well with the gold bars from The Goldmines.

The two big fellas here. Little bit too big for my tastes, I'd prefer them no bigger than the count. I'm using them to move around the board to mark largest city & roads whilst the king/baron tiles move between the players to show who's currently getting the points at the end.

And finally, here's a size comparison

(Also, that pewter set looks sweet!)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 21, 2015, 07:51:10 AM »
Gee, I think, they look great. Thank you very much for posting. Wish HiG would have come up with them instead of their tokens. On the other picture, the color looked different, that's why I was thinking, they are from the unpainted (or transparent painted?) batch. I'm seriously thinking of getting them, not only to "pimp up" my Carc, but with the original tokens it annoys me especially, that they seem to connect farms, what they don't.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 21, 2015, 08:16:16 AM »
What do you do with the Wolf Jim?

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 21, 2015, 09:00:47 AM »
I didn't bother with the wolf as they're never really in play on the board - as soon as you draw the wolf, everything just goes back to the Hills & Sheep supply. I did check for wolf figures at the time though, and it doesn't look like they have any.

I considered getting something to replace the plague fleas (Flea figures are unlikely, so I was wondering what to get: rats? skulls? headstones?) but couldn't find anything appropriate online.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 21, 2015, 10:52:58 AM »
Love the pewter meeples Dan.  They are exciting.  I know as soon as I buy them though, they will put out a couple more new ones!   :D
Flee the fleas.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 21, 2015, 01:24:43 PM »
Dan - how on earth did you persuade him to make them. I was emailing him, trying to get some but he flat out refused. They do look simply amazing. I wonder...
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 21, 2015, 01:30:41 PM »
Dan - how on earth did you persuade him to make them. I was emailing him, trying to get some but he flat out refused. They do look simply amazing. I wonder...

I made him an offer he couldn't refuse...  :)

In all seriousness, it was quite an offer. I won't list everything, but I think it was the transparent phantoms that swung it for him in the end!  :gray-meeple: :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #312 on: February 21, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
They are certainly awesome, though I'm not sure about accidentally dropping them on the tiles.

Looks to be a great weekend from everyone with a Carcassonne stash!

BTW,  I have a very big bag of invisible phantoms if anyone wants one!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 21, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »

They are indeed; grey though, not unpainted. When I was ordering, I was worried that the castles were going to be too small, however it turns out that they're just the right size to fit within the walls of a two tile city and support a follower:

Still, would be nice to have a bit more detail in the design in my opinion.

Without wanting to get too off topic, here are some photos of the others in action if they'll help anyone. I bought the pieces to stand out clearer than the tokens that come in the expansions so that they're more visible when putting together a game of megacarc.

The Sheep look good with the shepherd.

The tower's design could be slightly more in-line with the game's architecture and I probably should have bought a different colour for the houses to distinguish from the sheds; but over all I'm very happy with how these look.

The trade goods look good sitting in the cities, and match up well with the gold bars from The Goldmines.

For the sheep i have the same ones but i have written the numbers of how many they represent on the sides put them in a bag to draw from.  what about the wolves? i hear you say, well a different shape would obviously feel different so my wolves are wolves in sheeps clothing - sheep painted black!  black sheep so to speak.  it works well and looks good and to be honest it is much easier to lift them off the board when you want to claim them back.

For my little houses set i have the same towers and the same sheds but the houses are bigger so they are easier to see.

I like the castles too although i dont have that expansion yet so i wont buy them yet.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 21, 2015, 02:08:27 PM »
BTW,  I have a very big bag of invisible phantoms if anyone wants one!
What do you meen with "invisible"? Transparent without a color? Could be great for my white set of meeples, I got from CundCo today with some other stuff.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Love Letter & Love Letter Premium (Comparison)

Started by dirk2112

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2018, 12:40:44 PM
by Willem
xx
Whilst I don't blame the postman, I object to his employers' business practices

Started by danisthirty

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2016, 01:34:47 AM
by Paul
xx
I hate the postman..

Started by dirk2112

41 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 12:19:08 PM
by SRBO
clip
Can your postman dig a hole through the Earth to make Cundco shipping cheaper?

Started by Whaleyland

8 Replies
Last post November 27, 2020, 12:03:13 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
The Game of Love Podcast

Started by danisthirty

2 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 05:52:39 AM
by danisthirty