Author Topic: Tips and tricks for the forum  (Read 22733 times)

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
Re: Tips and tricks for the forum
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 03:45:26 AM »
When faced with similar on other forums, I just use a targeted Google search...

Enter the terms you want into the search box and add "site:carcassonnecentral.com/community" to the end. Then all the results will be from the forums here on CC.
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 03:46:48 AM »
First of all: search function works "locally". When you are in one of the subforums, search works only in this subforum. If you try the same query when you are on the main forum page, it perfectly finds all related topics.
Second: you can use the same syntax, as in other search engines, e.g., use quotas ("") to find exact words match
Code: [Select]
"Carcassonne Travel Set"ADDED:
Third: there is another good thing called "Advanced search". It allows you to use even more search options (see screenshot). In order to access it press on "Search" button without entering any search string, you will see empty results page, but there you can press "Advanced search" button.
EDIT2: The same way to access it was described by Paul: just press on "Search" button after "Help" menu on the top-left corner.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:00:26 AM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 03:56:08 AM »
Does anyone have any tips for how to use the search function effectively? (Or, put another way: can the search function be made better?)

There is a thread called Carcassonne Travel Set. When you search for carcassonne travel set (the exact words without capital letters), there are no results. When you search with capital letters, it returns three results but none of them are the thread that has the exact search words in the title! Why isn't this better?

If you use the Search function top-right corner of a page, it only seaches the thread you are in, as mentioned by MrNumbers.
  Instead, go to the Search page using the link between Help and Admin top-left and search there and it will search the entire forum.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 04:01:14 AM »
Thanks a million guys! Great tips! Paul's method looks like the quickest and easiest way to a comprehensive search.

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2016, 06:17:39 AM »
During my private messaging with totor66 concerning Cathars, he pointed out to me that it isn't possible to send an attached file/photo via pm. Perhaps a suggestion for in the future, if it is possible to implement something like that?
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2016, 07:18:58 AM »
If both of you are able to join the irc chat you could send a file thru there or mail one another.

We'll look in to this see what is viable regarding sendin files with forum pm.

Offline gantry

• Administrator
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2016, 03:09:19 PM »
It's not built-in, but for my work I often use this free service to send files of any size to others, the only downside is you have to keep the browser tab open until the other person receives it: https://www.reep.io/

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2017, 02:09:23 AM »
At the moment there is not a great connection between the browser and mobile (Tapatalk) versions of the forum. Emojis and other symbols used on one of these platforms don't appear properly on the other. Is there any way to fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 10:06:43 AM »
At the moment there is not a great connection between the browser and mobile (Tapatalk) versions of the forum. Emojis and other symbols used on one of these platforms don't appear properly on the other. Is there any way to fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like work for Gantry. From what I've been poking around with I could not find any Tapatalk emoticon settings on this forum. What I do know is, that this forum uses a customized Icon set, which may very well not exist or is in par with Tapatalks version.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2017, 03:39:02 PM »
I tend to use Tapatalk and it really bugs me that polls don't appear - does anyone know if it's possible to view them in the app?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2017, 07:41:52 PM »
I tend to use Tapatalk and it really bugs me that polls don't appear - does anyone know if it's possible to view them in the app?

So I finally got around to install Tapatalk again. Did some searching and tampering and wow... just wow.... How is anyone using this? It's awful! Not only is the forum so much different, but you can barely find anything in an instant!

And then there are the ads, so many ads, accidently clicked them a few times. I for one would not recommend using this program.

A better way, in my experience, is to use a shortcut on your phone to this forum. Simply tap it and you're in, surfing like on a computer and you'll be able to use all the features.
  To make a shortcut (in Chrome) go to "Show unread posts since last visit." page (what I use so everytime I click the shortcut I can see all unread first) and then use the 3 dots top right in Chrome to make a shortcut on start screen.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 12:19:18 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to look into this Paul, much appreciated. The main reason I started using the app is that typing messages in the browser was problematic - partially typing a word and clicking on one of the suggestions (SwiftKey keyboard helpfully provides) would add the whole word to whatever you'd already typed and it just did my head in. I agree that the app is poor, and only tend to use it to quickly catch up with threads that I'm following. It's possible to navigate the site using the path at the top of the page but it's not good. I do like that the app provides regular suggestions of threads / posts which might be of interest. I'm sure that there is loads of interesting stuff I've missed though, so I need to make more of an effort and get back into the habit of visiting the site regularly! I'll definitely give the shortcut to unread posts since last visit a go and also see if the message typing issue is still there (I've changed my phone since and now use Chrome instead of default browser too). Cheers

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 12:34:24 AM »
The auto-fill and suggestion in todays technology is something I will never get used to, but I do recognize it's functionality and I've certainly had to look up words myself! My English is pretty much self-taught.

Meanwhile, I will continue monitoring the situation, I can't believe that polls aren't available in such a huge app as Tapatalk. This and the emoticons issue in another thread.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2017, 12:56:12 AM »
Yeah, me neither - most dissapointing. The notifications are pretty helpful too though - I'd miss them if I stopped using the app.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2017, 12:07:03 AM »
On my mobile I am using WAP version of the forum (See "WAP2" link at the bottom of each page). Minimalistic design, no pictures, no attachments, no emoticons, but all posts' text could be read, without any ads. If I want to read thread as intended, I can press "Go to full version", and it will open current thread in original design.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Book of Carcassonne: Strategy, Tips and Tactics

Started by danisthirty

35 Replies
Last post August 01, 2020, 08:32:19 PM
by haep
xx
Tips for a 4-player Basic Game

Started by danisthirty

11 Replies
Last post December 07, 2015, 02:27:45 AM
by jungleboy
xx
Tactical Tips for Ferries

Started by kothmann

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2023, 07:16:36 AM
by kothmann
xx
Wheel of Fortune: Tips for Tactics & Best Expansions to Use?

Started by kothmann

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2022, 02:33:26 PM
by kothmann
clip
Tips on how to organize mini expansions without a box?

Started by ac1982

17 Replies
Last post April 02, 2022, 04:42:05 AM
by Meepledrone