Author Topic: You should never go to IKEA  (Read 19338 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: You should never go to IKEA
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 03:05:32 AM »
But fortunately there's not enough time for danisthirty to find Carcassonne 2 Darmstadt Lego between now and then!

THAT sounds like a challenge to me... ;)
You mean:

:D
If you don't have birthdays, then I am waiting for you on my annual Carcassonne tournament! ;)
Hehe, good memory! So you caught me and my birthday is indeed later this month. But fortunately there's not enough time for danisthirty to find Carcassonne 2 Darmstadt Lego between now and then!
But it's enough time to caught the plane and participate in tournament! Only 851.98 € with Airbaltic! Book now! ;D :))
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 04:21:46 AM »
Well.... since I'm pretty much responsible for this thread let me put this out there and sorry for the long post:

I FRIGGING LOVE IKEA O0 :P

- I'm a logistics driven person so I love how design is affected by logistics on most of their core products.
- I respect the visionary entrepreneurship of the founder.
- If you follow the store "route" you will see everything without losing yourself and going back and fourth the same section.
- If you're in on a schedule you can jump form section to section using the safety doors.
- If you're really in a hurry you can take the item reference online arrive to the store go directly to the warehouse and be out in 15minutes or less.
- It's like LEGOs for grown-ups.
- I love woodworking but since I live in an apartment (and got forbidden from sawing in the kitchen) IKEA is pretty much the second best thing.
- It is highly affordable, for the price of an solid wood old school china cabinet for the living room you can possibly buy the furniture for the all the living room.
- Pressed wood is environmentally "safer" then solid wood and IKEA has an history of investing in low formaldehyde gluing solutions.
- Tough it doesn't endure a lifetime IKEA furniture starts needing replacement by the same time than my Wife starts talking in changing the rooms dispositions.
- Having a meal in the cantina is really cheap for the quality and besides the usual meatballs, the other usuals here (cod, gammon) are also really good. And that Swedish berry juice is great.
- The crèche is a great way of taking the older one out without enduring the normal tantruns.

That being said and as you're already figuring out:
- My home office is a combinations of Billy's with a complete and improved Micke desk. I do recommend the narrow ones instead of the full width ones if you want to store books without sagging the shelfs.
- Our 10m2 kitchen was completely assembled by me and my wife in two days. Regarding the appliances only the oven and microwave are IKEA. I do not recommend the solid wood counters, the are awesome but if you intensely use the kitchen don't maintain them properly they tend to sag, twist and rot depending on the level of moist/heat/water proximity. They are also really heavy to move around and hard to cut modify with DIY tools. We had beautiful two piece almost 4m long solid wood counter but after 4 or 5 years we changed to a pressed wood with a marble like top veneer, cheaper and easier to handle. :'(
- Living room besides the current sofa that I'll only replace when the cat passes away is 100% IKEA.
- Sleeping rooms and the bathroom cabinets are also 100% IKEA.

Fun story, when my parents moved north and I stayed, at an aunt's house, in the Lisbon area to finish college I needed a job.
So since IKEA was just opening their first store and it was halfway where I was staying and the Henry The Navigator Nautical School where I was on the second year of the Logistics Management Degree (explains my logistics fondness) it seems only logical to try and grab one of the 500 openings.

I somehow nailed the "psychotechnical tests" and got immediately called for a first interview with two lovely, naturally blond , good looking HR Ladies ;) :o that were really enthusiastic about my logistics studies and test scores so I had the most awkwardly perfect job interview ever (if only I was older, more "experienced" and in a bar instead of pre-fabricated unacclimatized booth......).

Due to the first interview I was being upped from the guy driving the stacker vacancy to some-kind of low level team leader or shift coordinator or something opening so that meant a second interview with the logistics department boss, since it was the first store all the senior levels were being filled by senior managers from other countries so I ended up face to face with a Spanish gentleman.

And that's the fun part (not the Ladies one) although now a I'm a IKEA enthusiast at that time I really just wanted a job and barely knew what IKEA was about, so the conversation was a bit like this (please note it was more than 10yrs ago so it might be slightly altered due to recollection and dramatic effect):
- Hi Pedro, I know you're studying something related to logistics and are highly recommended by my HR colleagues. Tell me why do you want to work in IKEA?
- Hello! well I'm in college and a job would really help paying the tuition and help in my parents so since IKEA is opening here I thought why not.
- Well that's nice but WHY IKEA?
- (His tone got me startled so I elaborated a bit) Well again my parents have modest jobs, I'm living in a aunt's house and I don't want to be a burden for either so I really could use the income, on top of that the store location is really good considering the bus/train lines I catch between home and school which is a plus and if I end up on the logistics department it can be interesting from the degree point of view.
- Yes, yes, I understand BUT WHY IKEA?
- (Now I was completely baffled so back to basics) Well I need a job, store is opening, 500vacancies were announced, I'm not afraid of work so WHY NOT I'm sure there is something I can do here.
-Well Pedro, you know?!...
-...(Here we go, maybe I'm not getting this job after all, I thought)...
- IKEA is a PASSION,
-...(Ok  ???)....
- to work here you need to LOVE IKEA...
-...(Well now :o)...
- you need to wake up everyday EAGER to come to work, it's not just a job or a part-time is a LIFE choice
-...(dude on WTF are you high in, what kind of seasoning to they put on the cinnamon rolls)....
- YOU SEE? Do you UNDERSTAND?
-...(I see that I'm don't really know if I want you as a boss)???
- Mr. something, I see (I don't), I'm sure I'll enjoy the experience (and the small talk with the HR personnel) and I'll proudly be part of team and the IKEA family, while I really don't know IKEA now I'm sure I'll learn to cherish fast.....
- Hum! Well Pedro but I'm sure we will call you really soon.
They didn't.

So while has an husband, father and living in my own house I'm a big fan of IKEA we didn't start our love relation with the right foot.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 04:36:39 AM »
Read all the post and still can't figure out why all the bashing of IKEA.

Is this some irony I'm missing? If not, mind be more obvious? Feels like an unneccessary rant atm (to me). Especially on this forum where I am all for positivity.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 04:46:43 AM »
Read all the post and still can't figure out why all the bashing of IKEA.

The lesson, as always, is that you should never go to IKEA.
Jungleboy started it  >:D >:( >:(

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 04:58:50 AM »
Is this some irony I'm missing? If not, mind be more obvious? Feels like an unneccessary rant atm (to me). Especially on this forum where I am all for positivity.

I think this post is perfectly valid. I've enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed reading other posts that were/ weren't closely related to Carcassonne.

If there's good opportunity to blame jungleboy for something though, I'm completely behind it. O:-)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 05:45:30 AM »
Paul,

I think everyone has a love and hate relationship with IKEA. They are SOOOO good at what they do (separating your money from your wallet) that they normally put every other furniture store out of business.  You can walk in there looking for a book shelf and the next thing you know you are at home building a poang chair.  The best thing is they let you drop your children off in "small land" for 30 minutes.  The problem there is it is almost impossible to get my wife through the entire store in 30 minutes   >:D.   She loves everything there. 

If you ask the average American to name a Swedish company, they will most likely say IKEA.  Just like Americans are known for unleashing McDonalds on the world and the Germans are known for unleashing Aldi, you all unleashed the furniture juggernaut.   Just be glad you aren't from Denmark.  Every parent curses the Danish when they step on their kids' legos while walking to the bathroom at 1AM.

^-^

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 05:52:32 AM »
Ok, but, as I have commented in other posts, please be specific when posting things here. There are people that don't understand these remarks and can easily be offended. I am one of them.

If you look at the very first post it looks like it just started middle of a conversation.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 06:07:44 AM »

If you look at the very first post it looks like it just started middle of a conversation.

I assumed they were supposed to meet up, but Chooselife went to IKEA and lost track of time.  It is easy to spend hours there or even get lost if you don't know the layout.  I am pretty sure everything here is done in jest.  If you took anything I said the wrong way, I apologize. 

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 06:19:20 AM »

I assumed they were supposed to meet up, but Chooselife went to IKEA and lost track of time.  It is easy to spend hours there or even get lost if you don't know the layout.  I am pretty sure everything here is done in jest.  If you took anything I said the wrong way, I apologize.

To get it strait I was supposed to schedule the game, for the round two of the currently base game league, with Khalid during it the weekend but I got the approval of my accountant (Wife) to go to IKEA in order to buy some new Billy's to replace the old ones on the office and a Micke drawer module to add to the desk.
So while I only spent half the Saturday morning at IKEA, it took me the rest of the weekend to take the books and toys out, unmounted the old ones, mount the new ones, and put everything back while at the same time cleaning, sorting and improving my desk.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 06:19:40 AM »

This is probably because it did. But it was moved here to its own topic so that it didn't derail the thread where it began.

I'm generally a pretty positive kind of guy too and I will usually hold my tongue/ fingers (not literally) when everyone else wants to bash something they don't like. Or I'll stick up for it regardless and am happy to be at odds with what everyone else seems to believe (Carc 2.0 being a good example of this).

We need to recognise that individuals' views are personal to them. They're entitled to them, and they're entitled to share them. I would say that if someone gets offended at the idea that someone else doesn't like IKEA that this is a problem with the offended individual rather than the person who is expressing their personal opinion about why they don't like it. Personally I love it. As I've said. And I have been very much enjoying the silliness and banter that has been surrounding the conversation that has sprung up because of it.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 06:35:29 AM »
I'm generally a pretty positive kind of guy too and I will usually hold my tongue/ fingers (not literally) when everyone else wants to bash something they don't like.

I'm literally the opposite, I am known in several circles as the guy who is always complaining about everything, it's a kind of family tradition, to the point that one of the former managers  of Estoril-Praia hired two thugs to harass me at the stands for complaining to much and showing white scarfs, like this time :

(I'm the one with the scarf but without the hat)
He was sacked.

An the one after that (who was an Assistant Coach that got promoted to Manager) tried to avoid that I was allowed to buy my usual season ticket at the Stadium..... he was also sacked I'm still there.   :)) :)) :)) >:D

That being said, I've very few complaints about IKEA.  ;)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 06:40:02 AM »
The photo didn't work :(

I dread to think what English football fans would have to do to warrant similar treatment!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 06:42:53 AM »
A Merit to Chooselife for the most brilliant Ikea post ever  :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »
The photo didn't work :(
It's a *.gif it does work on both my desktop and mobile  ::)  :-[

A Merit to Chooselife for the most brilliant Ikea post ever  :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y)
Thanks I guess  O0 ^-^

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 08:53:03 AM »
Ok, guess it makes more sense now.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
sad
Do you own expansions you never play yet still rush out to buy new ones?

Started by Gerry

27 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 10:47:05 PM
by henrysunset
thumbup
Guardian UK newspaper - 20 awesome board games you may never have heard of

Started by loki

8 Replies
Last post August 30, 2015, 04:09:25 AM
by SRBO
xx
Which small expansions will never see a 2.0 reprint?

Started by flipshot

17 Replies
Last post July 12, 2020, 07:31:14 AM
by DIN0
question
How should the Monk be represented?

Started by Decar

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2016, 01:38:37 AM
by Decar
xx
Should I Get The New Big Box?