Author Topic: Carcassonne by Forums 2015: The Red Game  (Read 94298 times)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne by Forums 2015: The Red Game
« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2015, 12:59:43 PM »
Perfect
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 29, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »
Coolos.

Next tile coming soon... 8)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #257 on: October 01, 2015, 06:17:14 AM »
I used my abbey, gained 9 points from already placed follower on a cloister.

I also think I am at a huge disadvantage here. 5 points gone to waste for me while you guys are roaming free with too many followers. If it's alright by the other players, I would ask if it's possible to gain a fifth (regular) meeple to compensate this.

It's all new territory but I also would like to keep the game fun instead of having to battle unfair odds the remainder of the game.

Original size: http://sydby.com/carcassonne/games/carcC_ByForum20150701_RedGame/2015-10-01__IMG_0001.JPG
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 01, 2015, 06:25:37 AM »
I don't we trade, I'l give you two of my meeples when/if free for one Abbey.

Since the followers were "bought" it woudl be fun to trade them.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 01, 2015, 07:03:46 AM »
Hi Paul, I’m sorry if you feel like the abbey was a waste but if you thought buying it was going to put you at a disadvantage then why did you buy it? Part of the point of the game was that everyone was free to do whatever they wanted with their credits, and nobody knew what everyone else was going to do. It’s true that the abbey was expensive, but I don’t think it was disproportionately expensive for such a potentially powerful piece, it all depends how you choose to use it.

You could look at it another way and say that Chooselife would gladly sacrifice some of his extra pieces for an abbey now that he desperately needs one. The point is that you don’t know how the game is going to go or what else the other players are going to bring to the table. That was what made this game unique.

I like the idea of players being able to swap pieces during the game, and this could definitely be considered for a future game. Out of fairness to everyone involved though, I’d prefer it if we stuck to the rules established at the start of this game until the end.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 01, 2015, 07:16:09 AM »
Always diplomatic Dan :(

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 01, 2015, 07:21:24 AM »

Sorry! Feel free to stick needles in your Dan meeple if it helps... :o

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #262 on: October 01, 2015, 07:55:03 AM »
This isn't a championship or a contest with prizes, as far as I know. How about a vote or at least a discussion? Is anyone on my side on this?

This is how the board looks like now and for the rest of the game:

Yellow (me): A barn and four meeples.
Black: Large follower, Phantom and 5 regular followers
Red: Large follower, Mayor, 4 standard followers.

In essence, they have 2-3 more followers to play with rest of the game.

Now, we all didn't quite know how this would turn out as it's new to us all, figure this is supposed to be a friendly fun game I'm sure we can allow for some leeway.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:00:57 AM by Paul »

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 01, 2015, 08:09:05 AM »

Sorry! Feel free to stick needles in your Dan meeple if it helps... :o
>:D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This isn't a championship or a contest with prizes, as far as I know. How about a vote or at least a discussion? Is anyone on my side on this?

This is how the board looks like now and for the rest of the game:

Yellow (me): A barn and four meeples.
Black: Large follower, Phantom and 5 regular followers
Red: Large follower, Mayor, 4 standard followers.

In essence, they have 2-3 more followers to play with rest of the game.

Now, we all didn't quite know how this would turn out as it's new to us all, figure this is supposed to be a friendly fun game I'm sure we can allow for some leeway.

I understand both positions the ones playing want to have fun and win and Dan not playing is giving us the ability to play by keep it tight.

The majority of the wood I've on board is either stuck or in minority so but although trading would be a awesome way to get me back in the game if I end up winning it wouldn't be that fare as the rules changed halfway and I was the ones suggesting it.  >:D O:-)

In the end this is the most close to a proper game I've been playing and the opportunities and schedule to get back as an regular at JCZ evenings are getting dimmer and dimmer so I'm happy with whatever you decide.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 01, 2015, 08:16:11 AM »
I think in further games you should have some credits to use them during the game ...

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2015, 05:43:01 AM »
Paul,

I would have expected you to do some sort of mea culpa and say: "well, I realise now (after playing for 3 months) that my purchases were perhaps not the best and will not allow me to win... I will do better next time!". But no, unfortunately... Maybe you could also reckon that the current situation might be the result of other players having better strategies (tile placements, purchases, etc.)  But instead you seem to think that there is something unfair in the way we all agreed to spend our respective credits.

I understand this is not a competition but this is certainly a fun experiment and by changing the rules mid-way, we couldn't properly measure how good (or bad) our initial purchases were. This is one of the reason why I would like to continue like this until the end. Otherwise, how will I accurately know if I had a good strategy if we modify the parameters? After several months of playing, that would be my reward to be able to evaluate my strategy. I actually don't care much about winning... it is certainly a bonus but not my main criterion for having fun.

Another reason would be that you are currently the leader on the score board and you have a big fat barn comfortably sitting in the middle of the main field... dude, that's a shit load of points you've got right there! I've seen situation worse than that!

Thirdly, you speculate on the current content of my meeple supply. At this stage, we have revealed most of our purchases but there is still a bit of unknown... What if I also bought an abbey and I profoundly regret, a bit like you do? What if I have a barn that I'm desesperately trying to place in main field, and at the end I fail to acheive that and I say the F word out loud?? What about bridges: how good are they in the context of our current game? You simply assume that my supply is full of standard followers ready to invade the landscape but that's wrong, I can tell you that. Just wait and see. I think the fun resides in discovering what the others have bought and how you can improve you own strategy for the next game... and also gathering ideas in order to improve the rules next time. I have already suggestions for the prices in credits but I won't share now, just once we have completed the game.

If I were you, I'd try to complete other small cities in the main field to score even more points with your barn. Try to make good use of the trapped monk you just rescued. By the way, with your abbey, you have also blocked (not completely but...) our farmers from joining the main field... so it was not completely vain! Cheer up man! I've seen much desperate situations and I still believe that this game is fun and friendly.

Jéré

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 12, 2015, 05:59:58 AM »
Paul, do you have any further comments? If not, I'd suggest to simply move on and I'd ask Dan to reveal the next tile.

Let us know :) thanks!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #267 on: October 13, 2015, 02:50:48 AM »
Ok. Next tile.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #268 on: October 19, 2015, 04:48:00 AM »
Not to complicate things further, I'll leave my Abbey tile where it is and simply put a monk on it and claim 9 points from the other cloister (finally ending my turn).

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 19, 2015, 06:33:11 AM »
Next tile is a cccf (no pennant) for Jéré...

:red-meeple: :(y)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne by Forums 2015: The Blue Game

Started by danisthirty

147 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 03:14:08 PM
by Hounk
smiley
Carcassonne by Forums 2015

Started by danisthirty

28 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 04:51:31 PM