Poll

How do you primarily use Baba Yaga?

I place it in an area very unlikely to be expanded and claim the tile.
0 (0%)
I place it as a 4x Field tile and ignore the feature.
1 (10%)
I only claim the tile if it's nearing the end of the game.
3 (30%)
I use it in some other creatively strategic manner (describe below).
0 (0%)
I don't ever play with or don't own Baba Yaga & Bogatyr.
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: September 18, 2015, 03:24:56 PM

Author Topic: Baba Yaga & Bogatyr – Element of the Week #52  (Read 6578 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Baba Yaga & Bogatyr – Element of the Week #52
« on: September 11, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »
ELEMENT OF THE WEEK: THE BABA YAGA & BOGATYR

Carcassonne has definitely taken strange turns in the past ten years, so these few expansions may not be in your knowledge bank, but that doesn't make them any less official (or does it?). So as we conclude this series over the next few weeks, feel free to express any form of praise or criticism you may have for these off-beat elements.

This week, we present BABA YAGA & BOGATYR, the first official expansion printed by the Russian distributor of Carcassonne and given out officially at Russian Championship games. This tiny expansion only actually includes one new element, that of Baba Yaga (the hut). If a player decides to place a Follower on Baba Yaga, their goal is to avoid placing any other tiles adjacent to it (except the required one). Thus, it could be worth 8 points maximum (the tile itself scores 1 point). However, because of this concept, the Follower is stranded on the tile until the end of the game. The second tile in the expansion acts just as a normal 4-way road intersection.

Obviously this is more of a promotional tile than an actual strategic tile. Unless it is pulled at the end of the game, the likelihood is that it will devalue at the same speed as property prices in Montana. It's just a bad investment unless there's only a few tiles left. That, combined with the fact that the official tile is extremely difficult to obtain (although print-n-play versions are easy to make) makes this probably the least exciting expansion ever released by a Carcassonne distributor. Still, collectors will be collectors. In any case, discuss your relationship with Baba Yaga & Bogatyr and how you optimise your use of this strategic element.

Next Week: NONE! (New "Elements of the Week" will be posted as new elements and expansions become available)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2070.0

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Baba Yaga & Bogatyr – Element of the Week #52
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 02:51:18 AM »
I have not yet had the opportunity to play this but I think it would take possession of the hut only if it is one of the last cards used, the use of the three-way intersection can bring many points attached to an inn.
Probably in my games I will use the rule of the house to Baba Yaga tile. Whenever another player places a tile around the hut of Baba Yaga, the owning player gets 1 point. When this is completely surrounded the player can resume his follower and receives 3 points.
I think this is a great way to disturb others and get points.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 05:55:40 AM »
Thus, it could be worth 8 points maximum (the tile itself scores 1 point).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I would have thought that the most it could be worth is 7 points as there must be at least one adjacent tile as well as the tile itself in order for it to be placed (unless it can be placed in the centre of a 3 x 3 gap with no single tile next to it!). In the same way as the least a cloister can be worth is 2 points.

Next Week: NONE! (New "Elements of the Week" will be posted as new elements and expansions become available)

Thanks so much for all your work on these discussions whaleyland. It has been a great series and I have enjoyed it very much! :(y)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 06:42:11 AM »
Thus, it could be worth 8 points maximum (the tile itself scores 1 point).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I would have thought that the most it could be worth is 7 points as there must be at least one adjacent tile as well as the tile itself in order for it to be placed (unless it can be placed in the centre of a 3 x 3 gap with no single tile next to it!). In the same way as the least a cloister can be worth is 2 points.

Yes, you are misunderstanding something :D
Imagine that there are no tiles that surround Baba Yaga tile. In this case it is worth 9 points (8 absent tiles + 1 point for the tile itself). But tile must be adjusted to some other tile, so we loose minimum 1 point. That's how we get maximum of 8 points for this tile.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 07:21:17 AM »
Thanks. That makes sense to me now. :)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 07:53:06 AM »
Now that the Element of the Week series has finished (for now), I'd like to thank Whaleyland for his great contribution. Merit for you!

I also think that we could still use these threads as catch-all threads for continued discussion about each element. If others agree, could we put them all in a sub-forum for easy access?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »
Now that the Element of the Week series has finished (for now), I'd like to thank Whaleyland for his great contribution. Merit for you!

I also think that we could still use these threads as catch-all threads for continued discussion about each element. If others agree, could we put them all in a sub-forum for easy access?

I’m not convinced that a dedicated sub-forum is entirely necessary, but if it proves to be a popular idea then I will certainly set one up.

What might work better is a simple index which could be posted and stickied to provide quick access. Here’s one I made earlier: :(y)
:blue-meeple:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:20:09 PM by danisthirty »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTB Russian Baba Yaga & Road to Carcassonne Promo Tiles

Started by ooh_jim

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2015, 06:07:40 AM
by Paul
lamp
Izbushka - Baba Yaga's Hut breaking the limits...

Started by DIN0

22 Replies
Last post September 02, 2021, 10:08:29 PM
by corinthiens13
clip
WTT Russian promo ” Bogatyr' and Izbushka”

Started by Yashin-n

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2017, 01:55:56 AM
by Yashin-n
xx
Question about Bogatyr tile (Russian Promo)

Started by DIN0

10 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 12:14:00 PM
by DIN0
smiley
{Closed} [WTS] Russian promos. 2- tiles set. Izbushka + Bogatyr

Started by Push

1 Replies
Last post May 22, 2018, 09:25:28 AM
by Push