Author Topic: 2016 World Cup - Group B  (Read 24317 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: 2016 World Cup - Group B
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »
13 games played, 2 left.

Yes, Jéré, you are in QF regardless of outstanding games' results. To beat you on first place Leven needs to win with more than 100 points margin, which is quite a challenge ;)
If Leven loses to Valheru, Skane goes further.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2016, 11:13:51 PM »
That's not a good news for Valheru... Leven is not an easy customer and if on top of that he really needs to win by a big margin, brace for impact!

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2016, 04:18:16 AM »

To beat you on first place Leven needs to win with more than 100 points margin, which is quite a challenge ;)
That is rather 212 points (Jéré's PD is +252 while mine is +40). I think that's an impossible mission. But I'd be satisfied with a one point victory, too.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én Redmi 3 eszközömről

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2016, 05:00:13 AM »
I think that's an impossible mission.

Remember to never give up :)

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »
So, this group has been decided and my game against Rich_The_Fish will be one for statistics.

Leven  :violet-meeple: 260
Valheru  :green-meeple: 167

I was lucky and unlucky at the same to see the two big fields not merging. Leven is a better player than me, and had the two Cathedral cities for himself. Congrats on the victory and qualifying. Sorry to disappoint you, Skane.

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »
I was lucky and unlucky at the same to see the two big fields not merging. Leven is a better player than me, and had the two Cathedral cities for himself. Congrats on the victory and qualifying. Sorry to disappoint you, Skane.
Thanks, Valheru.
All in all, I had slightly more lucky tiles in this game which helped me especially at the completing of the cathedral cities. After the second one I think the game was pretty much decided (about 40-45 tiles before the end), for a moment it seemed that I could have a slight (ca. 1%) chance to accomplish my impossible mission (victory by 212 points to reach 1st place of the group) but Valheru kept fighting to the end (and did it very well) to avoid further increment of the point difference.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 03:26:21 PM by Leven »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2016, 03:44:37 PM »
14 games played, 1 left.
Congratulations to Jéré and Leven for reaching quarter-finals.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2016, 01:44:48 AM »
Congratulations to Jéré and Leven for reaching quarter-finals.

Thanks!!  :D

Now I really hope we won' t have to wait too long for the next stage. I start to wonder if we should translate the Code of Conduct to Latvian/Russian for your fellow countryman in your group...  ::) 

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2016, 02:08:50 AM »
Now I really hope we won' t have to wait too long for the next stage. I start to wonder if we should translate the Code of Conduct to Latvian/Russian for your fellow countryman in your group...  ::)
I have send him a PM, explaining main idea about 2 games per week. Hope he will play his games soon :D

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2016, 02:11:19 AM »
Great! Thank you!

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2016, 07:00:07 AM »
My game with Rich is scheduled for tonight. Hopefully I can erase that 0 point-low and not hit rock bottom in this group.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 07:08:17 AM »
My game with Rich is scheduled for tonight. Hopefully I can erase that 0 point-low and not hit rock bottom in this group.

Good luck! Rich has the same objective as you so that's going to be a bit cruel. Hope that both of you will enjoy the game, whatever happens! ...and I think we might be the first group to finish. Good job folks!

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »
Rich and I just finished the group and...

A lucky victory!

Valheru  :green-meeple: 237
Rich_The_Fish  :red-meeple: 211

I managed to snatch the win 4 tiles from the end with a regular rrff-tile, connecting my farmer at the bottom-left and stealing the farm. It was even until then with no more than 20 points difference during the whole game.

A few remarkable things happened during this match and I call myself really lucky to have been on the right end of those things. First of all was the battle for the farm (as described above) but it started way earlier than that. I think it was Rich's 3rd tile in the game when claiming the main farm. I joined quickly after to ensure it wouldn't be too difficult to join in later. Meanwhile, Rich was gaining an advantage in the tradegoods. I had to finish his cities with tradegoods to stay in that game. In the end, I won those 20-10. The big city in the middle was mainly built by myself but I just couldn't close it! Rich took advantage of that and gloomed right in. We shared it in the end. A tense battle for the biggest city, describing rightly how tense and close this game really was.

Second turning point, letting me stay right in the match (Rich had a solid advantage of about 20 points overal) was the roadcloisters. I drew them both, freeing a meeple on the cloister above and below and giving me 18 points 2 times! Very lucky for me indeed...

Back to the farm battle. Rich had some really smart meeple-placement to connect to the main farm. I blocked one, evened out another but still there was danger. He needed a cfff tile to claim it, but the tile never came! I got it a few turns later and finished the city on the bottom with it. Very, very lucky indeed. Snatching the farm for myself at the end would have just been a tied farmbattle (and a lost game) if that cfff-tile had come for Rich.

The cathedrals were absolutely useless. They came really late in the game and there were no more good opportunies to use them properly. Still pretty high scores in the game.

Unfortunately someone had to lose this game, and I wouldn't have felt bad if it'd been me. I felt we both gave our all in a match that didn't really matter for the World Cup anymore but was really fun and tense nonetheless. Again, thank you ever so much for this quick and lovely game, Rich_The_Fish. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Feel free to add your thoughts! It's always this easy to be positive about everything when you win but I can't stress enough how lucky I was during the game. Almost every piece of the puzzle fell right for me this time.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 02:02:10 AM by Valheru »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2016, 02:30:40 PM »
Final ranking table for group B.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2016, 03:31:12 PM »
Thanks for the game last night Valheru. It was enjoyable and indeed rather close throughout. I just couldn't seem to hold a majority in the main field - you were very good with your farmer placement which therefore kept forcing me to place another farmer in the hope I could get another into play. Had I managed to maintain control of the field, or you hadn't drawn those lucky clositers (which not only freed your 'trapped' meeples, but also scored an immediate 9 points) then the result may well have gone the other way. When you drew that RRRR tile (with the bridge) quite early on which you used to earn a healthy 18 points for a road with an inn, I suspected that it probably wasn't my night! However, I was quite fortunate on the odd occasion too, scoring a few reasonable roads and I managed to glom into your large city to share the reward for your hard work! Overall though, it was a very enjoyable game - thanks very much for playing.

In fact, I've enjoyed all of the World Cup games, despite losing them all! Good luck to those of you who've progressed to the next round. No doubt see some of you in the chatroom in the coming weeks for a friendly game or two. Cheers!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2016 World Cup - Group C

Started by danisthirty

46 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 10:13:02 PM
by Chuck
xx
2016 World Cup - Group D

Started by danisthirty

59 Replies
Last post November 14, 2016, 04:27:07 AM