Author Topic: WBC - Carcassonne Tournament 2012  (Read 9012 times)

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
WBC - Carcassonne Tournament 2012
« on: July 23, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »
I went to the World Boardgame Championships last year.  I was only there for two days, but it was fun.  I had hoped to detail my experience at the time, but the forum hadn't been fixed yet.  I just remembered about it today.  I was skeptical that it really was a world championship, but was surprised at the number of people in attendence and the long distance they travelled, so I'm satified to acknowledge it as such. 

Briefly...  Al games were two-player with only the base set.  I played my first game against a young guy who we pretty good, but I defeated him by about 20 points or so.  If I recall correctly, I took the big farm from him to seal it. 

My second game was against a 20-something girl who got extremely lucky, but perhaps only when compared to my bad luck.  I think I drew something like 12 road-only tiles in a row, mostly straight roads.  She seemed genuinely sorry for me and my bad luck.  Meanwhile, she drew four cloisters almost in a row and put them all together is a 2x2 block and quickly completed them all for 36 points while requiring only 16 tiles.  I was severly demoralized and sort of threw in the towel at that point.  She ended up building a small city at the end of my really long road out the side of the main gameplay.  That small city quickly got up around 20 points before I quite snivelling long enough to notice.  By that time it was too late to get into it and as you probably guessed a while ago, I lost.  It wasn't an overwhelming defeat though as I managed to catch up enough to lose by somewhere around 10 points.  If I hadn't been so busy feeling sorry for myself and let her have that city, I'd have had a real chance to win.  I found out later that she was a champion from a year or two previous.  I guess I don't feel so bad losing to a champion, but I think I could have hung with most of the players in the room. 

Despite my whining, it was fun.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=339.0
Flee the fleas.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Re: WBC - Carcassonne Tournament 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
Where was this held?

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »
Awesome story - thanks for the re-cap! It's making me think to suggest a Carc tournament at GenCon this year.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »
The event is held in Lancaster, PA each year at the end of July, beginning of August... during that week.  It's coming up again very soon.  There are lots of ads on BGG, but you can google it.  wbc.org I think.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »
Wow, my son lives in Gettysburg, not too far from there. I can see this being a yearly visit in the future. Thanks for the info!

Are you attending this year CK?

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »
Wow, my son lives in Gettysburg, not too far from there. I can see this being a yearly visit in the future. Thanks for the info!

Are you attending this year CK?

Yes, Gettysburg is pretty close.  I would very much like to attend this year, and I just came home from that area this weekend.  However, I was working away from my family for 5 weeks, so I couldn't justify sticking around for two more just for the con.  It's pretty fun though.

Offline aeoliner

• Authors
  • Vassal
  • Merit: 1
  • The Hat has Spoken...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »
It would have been the winner from 2010, she knocked me out in the 4th round of 2010 in a similar fashion. I took myself out of the game and before I knew it I had lost. In 2011, I finished in the top 20, made it 5 round that time. She didn't make it out of the 2nd round. I was able to go again this year WBC 2013, but the Carcassonne tournament was being ran by a new gm this year. Instead of 1v1 rounds with base set it was a series of heats with 4-5 player base set and 5 player semi-final and final rounds. I don't enjoy nor do as well at non-1v1 base set games so I sat this year out after the first heat. I finished distant last with against a former champ who came in second but still lost by 15 points. I know I played every tile perfectly but it became more about luck than skill with that many players in a base set only game. hopefully next year will be better. I still enjoyed the whole week of open gaming. Plan on attending again if I can get the time off.
The Perfect Tile Every Time.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTS - Carcassonne: King,Robber,Cult + Count + Mini exp.1 (2012)(no Kornkreise)

Started by GodSiGmaR

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2023, 06:23:18 AM
by GodSiGmaR
smiley
WTS Carcassonne Big Box 4 - 2012 Basic game & 9 expansions dutch language

Started by The-Edge

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2021, 12:26:36 PM
by The-Edge
xx
WTB: The Windroses (2012) and The Festival