Author Topic: 2017 - Seasonal Shenanigans  (Read 11800 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: 2017 - Seasonal Shenanigans
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2017, 01:38:36 PM »
Here's some photos of our tree we managed to get up this afternoon:

We always try to amass an eclectic assortment of decorations; nor are we too fussed where everything sits.
Hopefully you can see a few interesting things.

Most of the decorations are ones we've collected over the years, or even from childhood.
But every year we try to collect one new decoration for the tree.
This year is was very apt:

The owl on the left was our decoration for 2011, we got it in the National Museum of the American Indian in NY City.
The mushroom was from ikea!

Speaking of Christmas Tree Decorations, we often go for ones with character.  This is Steve the Squirrel:

We have quite a lot of decorations from ikea, maybe you can spot a few more on the tree, however I like this pair sat above our fire-place:

I have no idea why we got this one, but he watches the tree non-the-less:

Finally, here my favourite Christmas decoration.
I remember buying this Christmas Duck (called Goosey btw) in Woolworths in the late 90s.
While I was at University, I received a phone call from my parents telling me that our dog had decided to attack Goosey, and eat one of his eyes.  It was ok though...my father had made an eye patch for him.  And there the story was complete...until
However, just a couple of years ago, I was frequenting a local charity shop when I stumbled across this fine specimen.
Who else would even consider buying a Christmas Duck missing an eye?
I'll tell you who, the owner of a similarly sight-impaired duck!
Needless to say, this pair come out every year and take pride of place in our Christmas display.  Goosey and Mrs Goosey:

PS: Thanks to Rich The Fish for collecting Roland Revenge's copy of Battle Line.

And finally this is where we play most of our games:

I hope you enjoyed this short jaunt through our Christmas Traditions  :D

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2017, 01:56:31 PM »
Tom I love it, thanks for sharing. The ducks are absolutely wonderful and the story behind them makes them even more special. As I said about our tree we have two thirds of the decs which have meaning to us and the remainder have been with us from our very first Christmas.

I'm an old sentimental git at heart and Christmas, to me, gives me the chance to let it all out and relax in the comfort of happiness with my family and friends. Threads like this one lets me know that being round here of an evening is with like minded sorts and makes the world feel good. Keep it up guys :)
Oooo, look at all the meeples

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2017, 01:52:00 AM »
Good Morning All,

Not every point but here goes my Christmas photos:
1) What are your Top Festive Criteria (like I listed above)?
My top Festive Criteria have of course to do with food, this is the second time I organize family Christmas at our home but the first I'm responsible for the Cod (Mom usually handle it), so it's my first time de-salting it:

I'm hoping for the best.
Every year I also do a type of kneaded sweet bread but only on the 24th so I'll post tomorrow.
Not food related I also try to have our Christmas Tree fully decorated but with the help of the kids this was the first time I managed to use all the decorations, next year I will buy a few more:

3) Share a photograph of your favorite Carcassonne Tile and Meeple / 6) Share a photograph of a festive meeple
If I have to choose one of each, it is the ones ever gifted to me, never used the tile and avoid to take the meeple out of my Carc Box as he is prone to mischief and hiding on strange related places:

I'll try to come back tomorrow with a few more photos but if not possible MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 02:19:37 AM »
I'm not sure about that abbot on a labyrinth tile though...not many points :D
It's actually a mayor :)!
"Where Is the French Monasteries Mini Expansion At?" -Guy Wondering Why Game Set In France Gets Expansions Set In Other Countries.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2017, 02:26:05 AM »

That's weird because i distinctly remember scrolling back jo to check it was a mayor...saw the mayor..but wrote abbot anyway....doh.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2017, 02:28:59 AM »
Excellent photos chooselife!

Good luck preparing the cod!  (That's not something I thought I would be saying this Christmas)

Your tree is looking mighty good too.

I stupidly left my Maltesers advent calendar in work, so will have tl collect it next year.

I'm guessing your sweetbreads are a local dish and nothing like the sweetbreads you may find in the UK, which are something enitrely different!

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2017, 08:02:34 AM »
... and avoid to take the meeple out of my Carc Box as he is prone to mischief and hiding on strange related places:

The new "Elf on the Shelf"?
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »
Our chinchillas like to hide in our Christmas tree.  One of them ate the strap on one of the gift bags.    ::)

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2017, 05:38:17 PM »

That's weird because i distinctly remember scrolling back jo to check it was a mayor...saw the mayor..but wrote abbot anyway....doh.
Everyone makes mistkaes :).

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2017, 02:55:10 AM »
Haha, glad to see I'm not the only one with rodents in my tree  ;D ;D

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2017, 11:18:24 AM »
Update and maybe completed Shenanigans(?)

7) Share a photograph of where you read Carcassonne Central the most

I'll share 2 photos here. The first is our main entertainment and living room area. I spend more time on my laptop than the TV.
Where's Coco?

The second is our back converted bedroom/office. This walks out onto a deck with a south facing garden. It's cold and snowy at the moment but maybe not the white-out as it appears! This is where we sit when the luxury of time allows us during the day. The book case stores our 'upstairs games' or the ones we regularly play. The main collection is downstairs but that is for another post  >:D

So I kind of bunched a couple of the Shenanigans together in previous photos but that will up to Decar to decide if those qualify  ;D

1) What are your Top Festive Criteria?
2) Share a photograph of where you most frequently play board games (combined with #4 & #5)
3) Share a photograph of your favourite Carcassonne Tile and Meeple (combined with #6)
4) Share a photograph of you playing a board game with the the people you play with the most
5) Share a photograph of you playing your favourite boardgame in action
6) Share a photograph of a festive meeple
7) Share a photograph of where you read Carcassonne Central the most

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and best wishes for the New Year  :white-meeple: :red-meeple: :green-meeple:
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
I am not getting to all of these.  We already started cleaning up from Christmas.   This is the least eaten side of the gingerbread house.

This is my favorite meeple and tile (the grinch who won't share a road with the inner city scum).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:37:34 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2017, 03:40:38 PM »
I'm just glad to see you have a dog bed in everyroom too franks...I was beginning to think we were the only ones.... also good to see such a well organized collection!

That's quite a gingerbread house too dirk!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Phantom shenanigans

Started by StatiS

0 Replies
Last post November 03, 2017, 08:17:26 AM
by StatiS
xx
Spiel 2017 - in Essen, Germany - 26.-29.10.2017

Started by kettlefish

19 Replies
Last post November 01, 2017, 08:22:58 AM