Author Topic: The Great Game for War Child, London - Carcassonne Volunteers Wanted!  (Read 9742 times)

Offline tristan.gaffney

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
We are looking for Carcassonne players to who want to show others why they love Carcassonne so much and help us raise money for an inspiring cause! If you are interested please get in touch!

On the 6th of June we are organising a charity fundraising event for War Child in Putney, London.

The event itself is to celebrate and promote Board Gaming, Model Painting and Game Design with local adults, children and hobby enthusiasts.

Guests will be exposed to a variety of different games and guided on how to play, from card games and mainstream games to miniature based board games and strategy games!

There will be the opportunity to paint some of your favourite models and miniatures and workshops to introduce some new skills!

There will be workshops in board game design that inspire you to get involved and show you how!

We will celebrate everything that the hobby has to offer and inspire adults and children to get involved. We want to see the community coming together, connecting and inspiring children to develop some great skills in the process.

All the while we will be raising money for an inspiring cause:

Throughout the world there are many children losing their families and futures as victims of war. Perhaps they lose their homes, a parent, or both parents, or an entire family. Children are sold off into under-age marriages and forcibly conscripted as child soldiers. Both girls and boys are open to horrific abuses in their new frightening circumstances. This often leads to a cycle of violence where the children can become the perpetrators of violence for a new generation.

We want to make a contribution to break that cycle, to relocate children with remaining relatives or adoptive parents and provide education, peace and stability to their lives. This helps break the cycle of violence and contributes to brighter more peaceful futures for the children, their countries, their regions and the whole world.
To make all of this happen:

We need Donations!
We need Volunteers!
We need Guests!

Please get in touch: thegreatgame@inboxalias.com
https://www.justgiving.com/thegreatgame
www.facebook.com/TheGreatBoardGame
www.twitter.com/greatboardgame

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1661.0
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:42:56 AM by tristan.gaffney »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: The Great Game for War Child, London - Carcassonne Volunteers Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 03:21:31 AM »
Carcassonne Central - I've been in touch with Tristan and some of you to see if we could assist with this event. 

Thus far, everyone I've contacted is already booked on the 6th June 2015.  :-[

In case I missed you and you're considering going to this event; please let us know.  It's a great opportunity to share Carcassonne & CarcC with new players.

Danisthirty & I are preparing a small goodie-bag to anyone who can help out.  I can also offer you as many merits as I can throw at you for helping out  :(y)

If you can't attend I can only encourage you to support the event using one of the links Tristan provided above!

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:07:19 AM »
I believe I should be free on the 6th June actually. I'll double check but would love to help out if you still need volunteers!

It looks like a great cause and I love introducing people to new games so I hope I could be of use!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 06:19:26 AM »
Curt194 - Fantastic News!!! - Really sorry I forgot to send you a note previously.

If you drop me a PM with your email address, I'll make sure you get in touch with Tristan and get a few more details :)

A merit to you for stepping forward.

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:24:31 AM »
Not a problem at all, happy to be of any help I can! I have sent you a PM with my email address so I'll keep an eye out for more details!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:29:33 AM »
Could I get more info as well? Naturally I want to show up and participate, keep fingers crossed I can schedule it. Really could use a time away from work, home and country.

Paul
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 07:37:31 AM »
That would be awesome Paul!

I think the facebook page is the best place to look for info:

Door open to the public 11am-7pm, volunteers/organisers can get setup from 10am.  Now that Curt is able to make it, CarcC will have a stall   :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y)

Let me know when you think you'll be definite and I'll put you in touch with Tristan - (why not come for the week and join the UK Championships the week before ;)

Offline tristan.gaffney

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 07:55:32 AM »
Thanks for these responses! Really exciting!

If you have specific questions, drop an email to:
thegreatgame@inboxalias.com

I'll respond promptly and directly!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 08:21:29 AM »
A week! That would be awesome, indeed. Though not sure I will be able to.

Weekends are usually ok, for those are holy to me not being involved with anything work related or staying at home.

Offline tristan.gaffney

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
Hey Guys,

Any further thoughts on this? Did anyone else wish to join? Did CC want their own table etc?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Hi Tristan.

Thanks again for reaching out to us. I would genuinely love to be involved in this but unfortunately it comes at a bad time for me as the UK Carcassonne championships are the week before and I won't be given permission to have a break from family life for two Sundays in a row!

I wish you every success with this venture though, and look forward to hopefully being able to support it more practically in future.

Dan

Offline tristan.gaffney

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
Dan, it's Saturday, so you could be home for Sunday ;)

Joking aside, I appreciate all the efforts you guys have gone to to have Carcassone represented at the event and Curt will be there carrying the flag!

Paul did mention he was considering it and I wondered if he had come to any final decision.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 05:21:23 AM »
A little update from my part.

I'm still not sure if I will be able to make it. My companion is still undecided but she'll let me know hopefully no later this Wednesday.

Paul

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »
Hi all,

I wanted to give an update on this event and how it all went!

We had a mix of people who played the game, some had heard of the game but never played, some hadn't played in a while, and some hadn't heard of the game before, but everyone responded really well and I had some great games with people.

I took along the base set and the river as well as some examples of some of the expansions (Princess and Dragon, Hills and Sheep as well as some of the recent mini expansions like the German castles) which seemed to pique some interest with some of the people who hadn't played the game in a while. Some people hadn't heard of any of the expansions and were really interested in the many ways the game had been expanded.

I got lots of great feedback from new players as well who all seemed to get into the tactics of it early on and we had some high scoring games.

I'd like to thank Decar and DanisThirsty for support in getting things for the stall and offering advice to me. I'd also like to thank Tristan for organising the event! It was a great day and I think was successful in all of its aims and the last total I got of money raised was at over £850.

I wanted to take lots of photos on the day but got a bit caught up with everything. I did manage to get a photo of Dan's meeple keeping watch over everything though!

If anyone has any other questions about the day please let me know.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 12:22:17 PM »
Great report Curt, thanks so much for representing us so well and for sharing your love of Carcassonne with so many others!  :(y) :(y) :(y)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Hipster child of Carcassonne & Settlers of Catan

Started by AlbinoAsian

3 Replies
Last post January 04, 2014, 02:19:29 AM
by Paul
xx
Star war

Started by oldbonz

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2019, 04:44:49 AM