Poll

Which expansion would you like to play in the next "expansion league" competition? (select 2)

Inns & Cathedrals
12 (35.3%)
The Princess & The Dragon
5 (14.7%)
The Tower
4 (11.8%)
Abbey & Mayor
10 (29.4%)
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 04, 2015, 07:57:14 AM

Author Topic: The Next Expansion League  (Read 8247 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
The Next Expansion League
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:57:14 AM »
Hello all! Even while most of us are still in the midst of the Traders & Builders expansion league, it pays to think ahead and decide how the next league is going to be run when this one finishes. There's lots to think about, but one important thing is what we're actually going to play so I've created this poll to help us decide.

I'm running this "secret ballot" for 2 weeks with the results being released as soon as this time is up. You can choose up to two options as you like, but only the single expansion with the most votes will be selected for the next league and we will hold subsequent polls to decide which expansion we use for the third/ fourth/ fifth expansion leagues.

Happy voting!  :)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1467.0

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: The Next Expansion League
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 02:38:05 PM »
No Catapult as an option?  ??? :D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 12:43:40 AM »
No Catapult as an option?  ??? :D

Ha ha. I think even farin may have trouble implementing some of the features from that particular expansion!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 12:25:44 PM »
He couldn't make it worse ;)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »
Not a fair vote!  We have all of these expansions except Bridges, Castles & Bazaars, and we play with them all.  Picking two? Ouch!   :)

Getting a vote is a good idea.  However, and alternative may be a schedule where you work through all the various combinations of expansions, so that all get used at one time or another.
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:06:52 AM »
Not a fair vote!  We have all of these expansions except Bridges, Castles & Bazaars, and we play with them all.  Picking two? Ouch!   :)

Getting a vote is a good idea.  However, and alternative may be a schedule where you work through all the various combinations of expansions, so that all get used at one time or another.

What better opportunity to learn them than via another online league?  ;)

You don't have to cast two votes if you don't want to, but so far the spread is looking very interesting!

Good idea re: the schedule. I might put something together to make sure that we get to cover everything once we've had 2 or 3 votes...

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 03:57:08 AM »
Interesting Results!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 06:42:11 AM »
Indeed. If I'm honest I was slightly disappointed by this as I find it difficult to get excited about Inns & Cathedrals in the same way as I can some of the others. I'm sure it will still be a great contest though.

Just out of interest, I voted for Abbey & Mayor and Princess & Dragon. I don't think I've ever played Abbey & Mayor by itself but in an 84-tile game I imagine there would be a big race to place your barn at first and then hurriedly try to make the most of everything else afterwards. There's so much to think about though! I think it might work better as part of a bigger game but am keen to play it a lot to learn some of the tricks.

I will start a sign-up sheet for this soon, with a view to hopefully getting it started by the end of the month assuming the Traders & Builders league is complete.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 07:23:39 AM »
I can't see the results yet. It says, the poll closes in approx. 40 min., but I assume I&C it is?

I must say, I voted for I&C, and only for that one. Not, that I dislike the others, but it's the only big expansion left, I already played a little bit on the actual table. And I have not played so many friendly JCZ-games of the others either. (Even none of BC&B.) So I want to get a little more extra practice for them too, before we go into league play and just preferred to have I&C first.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 07:30:48 AM »
I can't see the results yet. It says, the poll closes in approx. 40 min., but I assume I&C it is?

Oh. Apologies if I spoilt the surprise then! I've been able to see it since the start as it's my poll, but according to the closing date/ time it looks like it should have closed already and I assumed Decar had seen the result already too.

Your reasoning makes complete sense. I certainly don't begrudge it, maybe it's just that it will feel too much like the World Cup again, but I'm sure the tournament will be a lot of fun anyway.  :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:36:26 AM »
Sorry!  I got confused - it's easily done!  Clearly by spoiling the result, this would be null and void - we'll take second instead.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 08:34:47 AM »
I was not surprised,that you as an admin could see the results, still wondering, why Decar could see it, too. But no problem about the "spoiling".

Speaking of getting extra practice with the expansions. Anybody here around 9 pm CET tonight for a new friendly game?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 08:45:17 AM »
I was not surprised,that you as an admin could see the results, still wondering, why Decar could see it, too. But no problem about the "spoiling".

It turned out he hadn't seen it, just confused himself!

I would love a head-to-head against you sometime  :)

I can't do tonight but I'll drop you an email so we can arrange something?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 10:09:35 AM »
I voted for I&C and A&M and I thought it was kind of obvious that these two would be the winners.

Despite Dan's apathy towards I&C, it is clearly considered by most fans to be on the highest level of expansion rankings with T&B. Meanwhile, two-player games with the dragon aren't great, and some people don't like the destructive expansions anyway, which also no doubt cost the Tower some votes. BC&B just doesn't seem like a great expansion, especially bazaars. So that leaves A&M, which seems to me like a good choice because it has a few different things going on, because the barns are cool, and (although this is a controversial view) because the abbey allows you to get out of a situation with a trapped meeple. While I see that this may not be good for 'purists' in a competition format, surely those purists can see how other players who perhaps aren't as good at trapping meeples would be happy to have this wildcard to get them out of trouble.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 12:11:51 PM »
Well, with I&C and A&M it will feel a lot like World Cup. Not that that's a bad thing  8)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
What next for the Expansion League series?

Started by danisthirty

24 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 08:16:29 AM
by Jéré
xx
The Next Expansion League (Again)

Started by danisthirty

28 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 09:12:51 AM
by Decar
question
Poll: Next Expansion League