Author Topic: Carcassonne: The Labyrinth Variant English Rules Translation  (Read 12743 times)

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
Carcassonne: The Labyrinth Variant English Rules Translation
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:30:34 PM »
I was looking for the Variant Rules for The Labyrinth in English but I couldn't find anything that was in the regular rules format >:(.
So I decided to use Google Translate to translate the rules into English. I edited the text from Google Translate to be more consistent
e.g. changing maze to labyrinth, changing street to road, etc.

If anyone has any improvements/changes post them here or PM me and I will add them (anyone who speaks German would be appreciated).

It Is Available To Download At:
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=339

Merry Christmas Everyone :D!
Posted on: 20th of December 2017

Edit on 22nd of December 2017:
Version 1.1 is now Available to download from the link above :D!

Edit on 23nd of December 2017:
Version 1.2 is now Available to download from the link above :D!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3713.0
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:18:32 PM by InTheDark »
"Where Is the French Monasteries Mini Expansion At?" -Guy Wondering Why Game Set In France Gets Expansions Set In Other Countries.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne: The Labyrinth Variant English Rules Translation
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 12:14:22 AM »
InTheDark... I think the official rules in the regular format are in german...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B87HIKt_PkmQTkpTbzg5WHJjM1U/view

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 12:37:55 AM »
InTheDark... I think the official rules in the regular format are in german...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B87HIKt_PkmQTkpTbzg5WHJjM1U/view
That is the document I edited :).

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 01:09:58 AM »
I think they are the only one

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:37:22 AM »
I think they are the only one

I got the same document from the old HiG website using the Wayback Machine.
Here is the link: https://web.archive.org/web/20170517132603/http://www.hans-im-glueck.de:80/fileadmin/data_archive/Regeln/CarcLabyrint_Regel_Final.pdf
I didn't realize it is available on Google Drive:).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:04:42 AM by InTheDark »

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 05:32:08 AM »
First of all great work with translating the german rules to english. As the labyrinth isn't in the S-CAR. (hint hint  ::) ).
There were some questions for me reading it:
Quote from: Labyrinth english translation
If you add a road to an existing road that
already has a Meeple on it, you can not
(as usual) use a Meeple. The labyrinth
and the four outgoing roads are the
exceptions.
I think it is maybe better to say: place, here.

The labyrinth and the connected roads are scored
when all 4 of the roads are completed. If you have
the majority of the Meeples on the labyrinth and
the connected roads, you will get 1 point for each
card as usual. In addition, you get 2 points for each
Meeple standing on the labyrinth or on a
connected street. If several players have the
majority each of them gets the full amount of
points.
I think it is maybe better to say: tile , here.

Furthermore it looks really good, I haven't yet had the time to look at the german translation.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:34:02 AM by Sinscerly »
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 07:39:07 AM »
I tried to make some editing recommendations, but Acrobat won't let me copy-paste the text, and when I try to save the file in a text format it says I don't have permissions for that operation.

If you'd like to post just the text of your translation, I'd be happy to make some editorial suggestions.
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
First of all great work with translating the german rules to english. As the labyrinth isn't in the S-CAR. (hint hint  ::) ).
There were some questions for me reading it:
If you add a road to an existing road that
already has a Meeple on it, you can not
(as usual) use a Meeple. The labyrinth
and the four outgoing roads are the
exceptions.
I think it is maybe better to say: place, here.

The labyrinth and the connected roads are scored
when all 4 of the roads are completed. If you have
the majority of the Meeples on the labyrinth and
the connected roads, you will get 1 point for each
card as usual. In addition, you get 2 points for each
Meeple standing on the labyrinth or on a
connected street. If several players have the
majority each of them gets the full amount of
points.
I think it is maybe better to say: tile , here.

Furthermore it looks really good, I haven't yet had the time to look at the german translation.

Thank you for your suggestions :), I have updated the pdf and I will upload it now.

I tried to make some editing recommendations, but Acrobat won't let me copy-paste the text, and when I try to save the file in a text format it says I don't have permissions for that operation.

If you'd like to post just the text of your translation, I'd be happy to make some editorial suggestions.

That strange because it appears that Sinscerly manage to copy the text, this may be because I edit locked the document (I have a bit of a habit of doing that) and your pdf reader doesn't let you copy text from edit locked documents. I will upload the next document with no edit lock and post the text here.

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 06:50:41 PM »
The link at the top of the page will now take you to the updated version or if you're feeling lazy, here is the link: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=339.

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »
Here are the rules in text form for anyone who wants them:
Edit:Please be aware this is the text from 1.1 the current version at the time of writing is 1.2 :).

Klaus-Jürgen Wrede
Carcassonne
Das Labyrinth
Rules for advanced players
In issue 1/2016 of the SPIEL DOCH! There are two new tiles for Carcassonne. One has been illustrated in the style of the classic edition by Doris Matthäus, the other in the style of the current edition by Anne Pätzke. Both tiles can be used in all editions. The combination with other extensions and mini-extensions is not completely tested and we do not take any rule explanations for these cases.

Game Components: 2 landscape tiles with a Labyrinth, marked with SD
Setting Up: Mix the Labyrinths under the previous tiles.

1. Placing a tile
If you draw a labyrinth, you place it according to normal rules.

2. Placing a meeple
Since the labyrinth makes the connections of the roads, quite unmanageable, the placing of the Meeple is regulated differently in this variant. If you place the labyrinth, you may place a Meeple on it, even if there is already a Meeple on one or more connected roads. Who owns these Meeple does not matter.

You place the labyrinth on a road that you connect with it. Although there is already a Meeple on this road, you may place a Meeple on the labyrinth.

As you progress through the game, if you place a tile at an exit of the labyrinth that does not have a Meeple yet, you may place a Meeple there, even though the network of roads and the labyrinth itself may have a Meeple.

Green later creates a road to an unoccupied labyrinth exit. He too is allowed to use a Meeple, although Meeple is already on the Labyrinth and the adjacent streets.

If you add a road to an existing road that already has a Meeple on it, you can not (as usual) place a Meeple. The labyrinth and the four outgoing roads are the exceptions.

You will later attach a road to a labyrinth exit. Since there is already a black Meeple, you may not use any of your Meeple on the road.

3. Scoring a feature
The labyrinth and the connected roads are scored when all 4 of the roads are completed. If you have the majority of the Meeples on the labyrinth and the connected roads, you will get 1 point for each tile as usual. In addition, you get 2 points for each Meeple standing on the labyrinth or on a connected street. If several players have the majority each of them gets the full amount of points.

All the roads are completed. You and   Black are tied in first place.

You and Black get 8 points for the tiles and 10 points for the 5 Meeples on the tiles. Altogether you both get 18 points

© 2016 Hans im Glück Verlags-GmbH Birnauer Str. 15 80809 München info@hans-im-glueck.de

In our Online shop we offer items for Carcassonne and our other games, as well as a spare parts service. www.cundco.de

We want to play with you!
Every year we tour Germany and pitch our play tents to play with you. More on:  www.carcassonne-on-tour.de

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:02:20 PM by InTheDark »

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 04:14:14 AM »
Well no one can stop Linux pdf readers  >:D >:D
As I was able to copy it, just select the text and then right click on it and it says copy me O0

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 05:47:54 AM »
Well no one can stop Linux pdf readers  >:D >:D
As I was able to copy it, just select the text and then right click on it and it says copy me O0
It let me copy in Acrobat DC on Windows :).

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 06:25:37 AM »
Yeah, my Acrobat is pretty ancient. Like 7.0 or something.

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 06:54:34 AM »
Yeah, my Acrobat is pretty ancient. Like 7.0 or something.
I posted the text above :).

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 07:08:27 AM »
I posted the text above :).

Yep, I saw it. I posted that last comment when I started my editorial analysis, which is now finished. The following notes are suggested to enhance rules clarity, improve grammar, and increase consistency with other English Carcassonne rules documents.

Klaus-Jürgen Wrede
Carcassonne
Das The Labyrinth

Rules for advanced players

In issue 1/2016 of the SPIEL DOCH! [italics] There are two new tiles for Carcassonne. One has been illustrated in the style of the classic edition by Doris Matthäus, the other in the style of the current edition by Anne Pätzke. Both tiles can be used in all editions. The combinations with other extensions expansions and mini-extensions expansions is are not completely tested and we do not take give any rule explanations for these cases.

Game Components: 2 landscape tiles with a Labyrinth, marked with SD
Setting Up: Mix the Labyrinths under with the previous other landscape tiles.

1. Placing a tile
If you draw a labyrinth, you place it according to the normal rules.

2. Placing a meeple
Since the labyrinth makes the connections of the roads, [delete comma] quite unmanageable, the placing of the Meeples is regulated differently in this variant. If you place the labyrinth, you may place a Meeple on it, [delete comma] even if there is already a Meeple on one or more connected roads. Who owns these Meeple It does not matter who owns these meeples.

You place the labyrinth on next to a road that you connect with it. Although there is already a Meeple on this road, you may place a Meeple on the labyrinth.

As you progress through the game, if you place a tile at an exit of the labyrinth that does not have a Meeple yet, you may place a Meeple there, [delete comma] even though the network of roads and the labyrinth itself may have a Meeple.

Green later creates adds a road to an unoccupied labyrinth exit. He too is allowed to use a Meeple, although Meeples are is already on the Labyrinth and the adjacent streets roads.

If you add a road to an existing road that already has a Meeple on it, you can not (as usual) place a Meeple. The labyrinth and the four outgoing roads are the exceptions. [Editor's note: The single-tile labyrinth and its four multi-tile branches are treated as five "sub-roads" for the purposes of deployment and occupation, but the whole thing is treated as a single road for completion and scoring.]

You will later attach a road to a labyrinth exit. Since there is already a black Meeple, you may not use place any of your Meeples on the road.

3. Scoring a feature
The labyrinth and the connected roads are scored when all 4 of the roads are completed. If you have the majority of the Meeples on the labyrinth and the connected roads, you will get 1 point for each tile as usual. In addition, you get 2 points for each Meeple standing on the labyrinth or on a connected street road. If several players have the majority, [insert comma] each of them gets the full amount number of points.

All the roads are completed. You and  Black are tied in for first place.

You and Black each get 8 points for the tiles and 10 points for the 5 Meeples on the tiles. Altogether you both each get 18 points.

© 2016 Hans im Glück Verlags-GmbH Birnauer Str. 15 80809 München info@hans-im-glueck.de

In our Online shop we offer items for Carcassonne and our other games, as well as a spare parts service. www.cundco.de

We want to play with you!
Every year we tour Germany and pitch our play tents to play with you. More on:  www.carcassonne-on-tour.de
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:27:25 AM by Just a Bill »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
English translation from Hans im Glueck-Almanac 2008

Started by tuckerr

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2015, 07:22:52 AM
by tuckerr
question
Basic advanced Labyrinth rules question!

Started by cicerunner

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2020, 09:23:52 AM
by Meepledrone
question
Rules for Carcassonne for 2 - English

Started by GreyMeeple

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2018, 05:13:56 AM
by Maj. Frost
clip
Easter in Carcassonne rules in English