Author Topic: Carcassonne V2 tiles not matching V2 expansions  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Danci

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Carcassonne V2 tiles not matching V2 expansions
« on: January 03, 2017, 07:20:46 AM »
I'm new to the world of Carcassonne after researching board games for a Christmas gift for our family. It was difficult deciding whether to buy the new Zman V-2 or go with the older versions.  I decided to go with the newer edition as I wanted the tiles to match moving forward and didn't want to pay the prices for out of print games.  I bought the base game, and two expansions- inns & cathedrals and builders and traders.  The problem is that the tiles for both the expansions are much darker than the base game.  While I understand that printing runs can vary in color these tiles are so much darker in color that it's distracting when I play the game. Is this a common problem? Do the tiles match better in the older editions?  I love the game but am disappointed with the new V-2 edition.  Any advice?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3056.0

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Carcassonne V2 tiles not matching V2 expansions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 07:46:28 AM »
Hi Danci, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Carcassonne.

Unfortunately, colour matching has been a problem throughout the history of Carcassonne. It annoys me like crazy, but some others don't mind it. One of our great members here, Decar, likes to remind everyone that he has several different colours of green in his grass at home, and so Carcassonne should be the same!

The main problem regarding colour matching in V1 is that some expansions have very dark green for the fields. Off the top of my head, these include the Festival, German Castles, German Cathedrals, the Plague and others (mostly small expansions, for what it's worth). Big Box 4 apparently contained darker green fields for all tiles.

For large expansions, a good way to avoid matching issues could be to buy a big box, where I believe there is more unity in the colours. There is a big box in V2 scheduled for release in 2017 which should contain most of what has been released so far.

Another issue with V2 is that, if I recall correctly, the game designer requested lighter city interiors from Expansion 3 onwards, so there could be some matching issues there - another reason the big box may be the way to go. But I don't own anything in V2 so I can't confirm any of the matching issues you described.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:06:25 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Danci

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply back jungleboy!

I'm like you in that the color mismatch annoys me too!  It doesn't bother my daughter too much, as she's able to glance at a tile and place it immediately, while I'm just wondering if the tile fits at all because the colors don't match.  :-[ 

Thanks for the update on the big box that's due out in 2017.  I was going to buy Princess and Dragon V-2, but I think I'll wait and see if it comes in a big box in hopes to get more of a color matching set as you mentioned.  After spending way too long online researching all there is to know about the World of Carcassonne I guess I'll have to add researching the matching of color tiles as well!  (As I now see others have on this site as well.) 

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »
Welcome to the forums Danci!

I'm one of the ones who doesn't really mind slight colour mismatches, but this is usually because I'm so absorbed in the game that I don't even notice them.

I have played with both of the expansions you mention in the new artwork though, and I never really noticed anything in terms of colour mismatching other than that the 2 cathedral tiles from Inns & Cathedrals looked a bit plain and ugly compared to the original art versions. So with this in mind, are the expansions you have definitely in the new artwork too?

Also, for what it's worth, I think you made the right decision going with the new artwork version. The old artwork is certainly more popular but if you're just starting up now, I'm sure the constant flow of new artwork expansions being released at the moment will keep your games interesting and fun for years to come and shouldn't be too hard to find/ expensive either.

Enjoy the site! :) :(y)

Offline Danci

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »
Thanks for the comments danisthirty!  I rechecked the I&C and B&T expansions and they are both the new Zman V2 editions (with the blue city tops) from 2015.  My base set is a Zman V2 from 2016.  It's just as I mentioned previously and jungleboy confirmed; the expansion tiles are darker and don't completely match my base game.  And I agree with you that the two cathedrals are ugly (don't know how they looked before), especially since the background on them is so dark.  I immediately dump them onto someone else and forego the chance of extra points! Now I'm thinking of buying a big box of the old style (maybe box 5) because I'm disappointed with the new edition, but I'm tired of spending big bucks for big disappointments.  :'(

Prior to buying the set mentioned above, I bought the Winter Version to see if I liked the game. (Which obviously I did!) I wanted the gingerbread expansion and did a lot of research (so I thought) prior to buying it to make sure I got the right one.  I read somewhere that all the Zman V2 Winter Edition's contained the gingerbread man.  The edition I bought said it had 12 bonus tiles so I assumed it was the gingerbread expansion.  It was not.  The 12 bonus tiles were of the animals which I love, but was disappointed there were no gingerbread tiles.  (Does the winter edition with the gingerbread expansion not have the animal tiles?) It's all so confusing for a Carcassonne newbie! I ended up buying the gingerbread tiles on ebay (they haven't arrived yet) and am now wondering if they are going to match or not! Any clarifications would be great.  Love the site!  :green-meeple: :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »
Hi Danci welcome to Carcassonne Central!

It's true my garden does have many different shades of grass.  The irritation you've encounted occured in the middle of last year when the Princess and Dragon was released.  One of the complaints of the V2 artwork was that the city brown was too dark; apparently Klaus-Jürgen Wrede requested that the city shade was lightened and as a result later editions of the base game and future expansions now have a lighter shade of brown.  This brown is more consistent/compatible with expansions in the earlier artwork, but that doesn't really help out those of us with dark brown tiles.  Though it does give us an excuse to pick up a Big Box later this year  :(y) :(y)

All this talk reminds me of the 3-4 different types of brick in the walls of my house.....don't get be started :p   :gray-meeple: :gray-meeple:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 11:06:27 PM »
Prior to buying the set mentioned above, I bought the Winter Version to see if I liked the game. (Which obviously I did!) I wanted the gingerbread expansion and did a lot of research (so I thought) prior to buying it to make sure I got the right one.  I read somewhere that all the Zman V2 Winter Edition's contained the gingerbread man.  The edition I bought said it had 12 bonus tiles so I assumed it was the gingerbread expansion.  It was not.  The 12 bonus tiles were of the animals which I love, but was disappointed there were no gingerbread tiles.  (Does the winter edition with the gingerbread expansion not have the animal tiles?) It's all so confusing for a Carcassonne newbie! I ended up buying the gingerbread tiles on ebay (they haven't arrived yet) and am now wondering if they are going to match or not! Any clarifications would be great.  Love the site!  :green-meeple: :(y)

I thought the same as you regarding whether the Z-Man version of the Winter Edition included the Gingerbread Man expansion, but it sounds like you have it covered now anyway. If you're interested, there is also a Corn Circles expansion for Carc W/E which can be bought from cundco (https://cundco.de/mini-erweiterungen/carcassonne/173/carcassonne-winter-edition-kornkreise?c=14) for a few Euros + postage.

There aren't really any special rules for the 12 extra animal tiles but some people have come up with their own unofficial rules. For me, they just serve to increase the length of the game and provide some of the missing tile configurations that aren't present in the classic base game. The Gingerbread Man expansion provides an extra 6 tiles but I really like the configurations on the tiles themselves. This expansion is a real game changer too, and can boost scores by several hundred points or more if it used to its full potential! :(y)

I've never noticed any colour matching problems with Carc W/E but I don't tend to pick up on such things anyway so it might be that others have. Or it might just be that the snow in my garden is a fairly uniform colour on the rare occasion that it snows in Reading, so they've based the artwork and colour matching on that? ;)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 11:49:01 PM »
I read somewhere that all the Zman V2 Winter Edition's contained the gingerbread man.  The edition I bought said it had 12 bonus tiles so I assumed it was the gingerbread expansion.  It was not.  The 12 bonus tiles were of the animals which I love, but was disappointed there were no gingerbread tiles.  (Does the winter edition with the gingerbread expansion not have the animal tiles?)

All versions of the winter edition have the animal tiles. Some have the gingerbread man (like the Z-Man version I got), and some don't.

I ended up buying the gingerbread tiles on ebay (they haven't arrived yet) and am now wondering if they are going to match or not! Any clarifications would be great.  Love the site!

I don't have easy access to my tiles at the moment (they are at the bottom of the pile on the left), but I seem to remember a slight colour difference between the gingerbread man tiles and the other winter tiles - that the gingerbread man tiles are slightly lighter/more faded. But I may be misremembering...

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 01:36:47 AM »
Or it might just be that the snow in my garden is a fairly uniform colour on the rare occasion that it snows in Reading, so they've based the artwork and colour matching on that? ;)

Sometimes the snow is Yellow in my garden ^-^

Offline Danci

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 06:09:14 AM »
I am a newbie to the world of Carcassonne and purchased the base game V2 plus I&C and B&T over the holidays. I joined CC yesterday to get more information on why my sets didn't match- the expansions tiles on the city are much darker than on my base game and it drives me nuts.  :o The advice I got was to wait for the 2017 supposed big box set whereby all the tiles would match. I do now understand that the first run of Carc V 2.0 was with the darker tiles and would like to get a copy if possible to have a matching set until the big box comes out. Would the 78100 Carc V2 Edition have the darker tiles?   :brown-meeple: How can I be sure I order the right edition?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 06:54:13 AM »
This thread seems to be a continuation of yesterday's, So I'm going to merge the topics.

There are no darker versions going forward - only lighter versions.
The versions were lightened on request by Klaus-Jürgen Wrede, so they would be more compatible with the first edition.

Your problem at the moment is if a shop has a copy of Carcassonne 2.0 it will be hard to know if you have an early or later edition.
You may be interested in getting a copy of this edition of the base game

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 07:11:33 AM »
There was an announcement on german Carcassonne-Forum that there will be tile-sets to exchange the darker city tiles with lighter ones - but I don't know whether this will be only for the base game or for the first expansions too and when this will be, nor whether these sets will be available anywhere outside Germany.

On the other hand: Nowadays many Carcassonne fans are buying the real First Edition of Carcassonne for incredible prices in spite of it having some bad faults:
A scoreboard with only 70 points, no round track
Meeple with irregular shapes
A user-unfriendly scoring for farmers which had to be revised two times.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:18:41 AM by Fritz_Spinne »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 07:33:34 AM »
A user-unfriendly scoring for farmers which had to be revised two times.

three times!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What is your best matching pair of expansions

Started by asparagus

14 Replies
Last post July 12, 2014, 04:01:34 PM
by asparagus
xx
The best color matching of carcassonne tiles after almost 20 years for C1

Started by DrMeeple

20 Replies
Last post April 16, 2021, 11:33:40 PM
by DrMeeple
xx
Colour Matching of Princess & Dragon 2.0

Started by totor66

30 Replies
Last post April 24, 2016, 01:55:49 PM
by Hounk
xx
New Art Colour Matching.... (or lack thereof)

Started by Clownfeet

6 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 01:13:34 AM
by Christopher
xx
Why are the fanmade expansions not on BGG??

Started by jappie

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 07:40:49 AM
by jappie