Author Topic: Mega-ish Carcassonne  (Read 4752 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Mega-ish Carcassonne
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:34:08 AM »
I'm not into truly mega Carcassonne, so for me this game last night was about as mega as it gets. It was a two-player game with:

Traders and Builders
The Tower
Abbey and Mayor
Dutch and Belgian Monasteries
Mage and Witch
The Ferries
Both Halflings

It took us two hours to play and it was very close. I (green) was behind basically all game but in the end I won 389-379.

The most important things for me were:

- Drawing four monasteries fairly early on, putting abbots on all of them, and managing to save them all from the Tower. I scored about 110 points from these four.
- Glomming on to my opponent's barn farm (+ pig) three or four times, which was worth about 20 points each time. She was never able to do this even once.
- Kidnapping my opponent's one abbot with about 10-ish tiles left. If I hadn't managed to do this, she would have won.

One question that came up:

- Do you think the black barn in the picture is a valid placement? It has a halfling as one of the four tiles that make the corner. We decided that it was OK but looking back on it I think this shouldn't be valid. I couldn't find anything in the CAR about this.

And one final point:

- I continue to be quite amazed at how much the halflings impact the game. When it first came out I thought it would just be a kind of cool gimmick without much strategic importance, but it really changes how you play and makes you think on an even deeper level.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1554.0
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:37:20 AM by jungleboy »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: Mega-ish Carcassonne
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:51:58 AM »
Great game, jungleboy! :(y)
Although this isn't a mega-Carcassonne for me :P

- Do you think the black barn in the picture is a valid placement? It has a halfling as one of the four tiles that make the corner. We decided that it was OK but looking back on it I think this shouldn't be valid. I couldn't find anything in the CAR about this.

Good question! I also think this isn't a valid placement, but we need an official clarification.

- I continue to be quite amazed at how much the halflings impact the game. When it first came out I thought it would just be a kind of cool gimmick without much strategic importance, but it really changes how you play and makes you think on an even deeper level.

I totally agree with you! Halflings change the game greatly, and I can't tell I don't like it :D
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 01:08:05 PM »
I also doubt this is a valid placement for the Black barn.

Another nod on the addition of the Halfling tiles. I also thought it would be more of a bother but we really enjoy what it brings to the game and include it every time.

Cheers,
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline davide

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 05:08:45 PM »
Great game, jungleboy! :(y)
Although this isn't a mega-Carcassonne for me :P

Good question! I also think this isn't a valid placement, but we need an official clarification.

I totally agree with you! Halflings change the game greatly, and I can't tell I don't like it :D

Offline davide

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 05:10:30 PM »
the black barn is it not valid,because the green corner is not complete,the other barn,for example ,is correct

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 01:41:44 AM »
the black barn is it not valid,because the green corner is not complete,the other barn,for example ,is correct

This is not true. By Halflings I/II explenation of Rules at 10/2015 this is valid placement of Barn
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Halflings_(1st_edition) check "Other Expansion" section
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 07:33:45 AM »
Well said!  :(y) :(y)
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline davide

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 08:09:18 AM »
you're right, I didn't know this rule

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 09:52:46 AM »
Halflings rules were defined for the base gane only abd there were a lot of clarifications for them in 10/2015. They didn't address all the open issues but gave some hints to cover some of them by analogy based on other clarifications.

When tje were rereleased some old woulds reopened.  :o

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Mega-ish Carcassonne II

Started by wolnic

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2017, 04:06:03 AM
by Luthadel
clip
Photos from a game of (almost) Mega-Carcassonne

Started by meepleater

8 Replies
Last post April 02, 2016, 07:46:32 AM
by SRBO
xx
Mega Carcassonne with all the expansions

Started by JT Atomico

8 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 05:12:07 PM
by Nebus
xx
Mega Carcassonne: Double your pleasure and Meeples?

Started by Meles

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2023, 07:50:01 AM
by SailingMeeple
lamp
Mega-carcassonne at conventions

Started by asparagus

19 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 03:21:04 PM
by asparagus