Author Topic: Carcassonne 2.0 + Expansions  (Read 42228 times)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne 2.0 + Expansions
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 01:42:04 AM »
I've orderd BC&B from a supplier and it's being pretty delayed. I did get the below from them though:

(My bold)

We do now have a reason for the delay though – they recently updated the main Carcassonne game and it’s tiles, so are updating the tiles in the expansions too. (The old tiles will still be on the back of the new ones so everything remains compatible)

This sounds like they're doing double-faced tiles, with no grey side to them?!
No no they mean that the old back is still the same on the new tiles.. so The grey side is still there

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 02:46:20 AM »
 :o Worst. Idea. Ever. That's just hedging, like they can't decide what they want to do so are just doing both. My respect for HiG is dropping right now.

Offline Durbs

• Villein
  • Merit: 3
  • Dirty Meeple Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 03:03:21 AM »
No no they mean that the old back is still the same on the new tiles.. so The grey side is still there

I'm not sure that's the case as the backs haven't changed between versions so the only "old" and "new" is the front.

This is only one reseller, and they might have got their wires crossed, but doesn't seem like a great idea. Would mean accidental glimpses of tiles in the bag would be quite easy, and the tile-hiding in Sheep & Hills becomes redundant.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 05:48:04 AM »

I'm not sure that's the case as the backs haven't changed between versions so the only "old" and "new" is the front.

This is only one reseller, and they might have got their wires crossed, but doesn't seem like a great idea. Would mean accidental glimpses of tiles in the bag would be quite easy, and the tile-hiding in Sheep & Hills becomes redundant.

Guys, believe me.. they will only use tiles with old on front or new on the front with both the same grey back.

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 06:34:36 AM »
The very premise of the game depends on hidden backs, so there's just no way they'll print the tiles on both sides. The tile bag doesn't even come with the base game. In the original you're supposed to draw from face down stacks. I'm sure this is just poor phrasing.

That said, it's beginning to sound like they're definitely switching to new art across the board if your reseller is to be believed, instead of 2.0 being a one-off. In that case, sounds like my collection is nearing completion, because there's no way I'm buying anything with that cartoony art. I've got enough of an OCD problem that it would drive me crazy to have mismatched fronts and I'm just not going to own two copies of everything. My money can be better spent. Not sure why they feel the need to alienate their biggest fans by blowing up their collections like this. How many new people are really gonna be drawn to the game because of a redesign? Sigh...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 07:18:15 AM »

The very premise of the game depends on hidden backs, so there's just no way they'll print the tiles on both sides. The tile bag doesn't even come with the base game. In the original you're supposed to draw from face down stacks. I'm sure this is just poor phrasing.

That said, it's beginning to sound like they're definitely switching to new art across the board if your reseller is to be believed, instead of 2.0 being a one-off. In that case, sounds like my collection is nearing completion, because there's no way I'm buying anything with that cartoony art. I've got enough of an OCD problem that it would drive me crazy to have mismatched fronts and I'm just not going to own two copies of everything. My money can be better spent. Not sure why they feel the need to alienate their biggest fans by blowing up their collections like this. How many new people are really gonna be drawn to the game because of a redesign? Sigh...

My thoughts exactly!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 01:10:18 PM »

We do now have a reason for the delay though – they recently updated the main Carcassonne game and it’s tiles, so are updating the tiles in the expansions too. (The old tiles will still be on the back of the new ones so everything remains compatible)

Sounds like the guy misspoke, and was trying to say the new tiles will still have the grey backing with the letter C: "The old tiles..." equals "The old tile backs...". That would be in keeping with HiG's and Z-Man's claim that the new and old tiles are "compatible" just because they have the same back.  :-\ If only the game were played upside down...

What is interesting is that he claims they are updating the expansions. As far as I know there has been no official statement to that effect. So either he is in the know much more deeply than we are, or he is generalizing and not correct.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »

Sounds like the guy misspoke, and was trying to say the new tiles will still have the grey backing with the letter C: "The old tiles..." equals "The old tile backs...". That would be in keeping with HiG's and Z-Man's claim that the new and old tiles are "compatible" just because they have the same back.  :-\ If only the game were played upside down...

What is interesting is that he claims they are updating the expansions. As far as I know there has been no official statement to that effect. So either he is in the know much more deeply than we are, or he is generalizing and not correct.
I'm pretty sure that this just the sellers supposition. Something like "Oh, new Carcassonne. Then there will be new expansions too!" Well, let's hope that this is a bad shot. ;)
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 06:31:20 AM »
I'm not inclined to believe this until I hear it from an official source.

Offline Murno

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 08:26:20 AM »
Hi everyone (first post poster here!)  :)

I got into Carcassonne at the tail end of last year, at which time I had no idea about the change in art styles nor the vast amount of expansions available. So as it happened, I ended up with the new artwork base set.I really like the new artwork, I'd probably say I like it more than the old style.

Anyway to add my bit on the 'compatibility issue', I've bought a number of expansions (traders & builders, Bridges, Castles & Bazzars, Hills & Sheep, and all the mini expansions) to go with my new version Carcassonne. I've read a lot of the discussions regarding the clash between the new and old artwork, but  have to say I really don't mind the difference when playing games. I don't think it impacts the game at all, and I think there has been an over-reaction on here about how much of an issue this is.

I've been speaking to my local boardgame shop owner about this and he seems sure that at the moment they are reprinting the mini-expansion in the new artwork.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 08:35:57 AM »
I've read a lot of the discussions regarding the clash between the new and old artwork, but  have to say I really don't mind the difference when playing games. I don't think it impacts the game at all, and I think there has been an over-reaction on here about how much of an issue this is.

Hi Murno, welcome to the forums and thanks for your input on old v new artwork. To be honest, I think it depends on what kind of person you are. I don't own v2.0 and so I've only seen pictures of the tiles mixed together, but personally, I would never mix them because it would just bother me too much. Even little art differences in the colours of the old artwork annoy me (e.g. the colouring of the Cathars, the darker fields of Plague/Festival etc). Of course, I realise that not everyone is this pedantic and I'm sure there are plenty of players who don't mind mixing tiles. But I think it might be fair to say in general that the game tends to attract people who are drawn to the neatness of the landscape and the way it all fits together - and mixing tiles does affect this visualisation (though not the gameplay itself).

Maybe one conclusion might be that the ratio of pedantic people is higher in Carcassonne fandom than in the real world. :)

Offline Murno

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 09:01:09 AM »
I've read a lot of the discussions regarding the clash between the new and old artwork, but  have to say I really don't mind the difference when playing games. I don't think it impacts the game at all, and I think there has been an over-reaction on here about how much of an issue this is.

Hi Murno, welcome to the forums and thanks for your input on old v new artwork. To be honest, I think it depends on what kind of person you are. I don't own v2.0 and so I've only seen pictures of the tiles mixed together, but personally, I would never mix them because it would just bother me too much. Even little art differences in the colours of the old artwork annoy me (e.g. the colouring of the Cathars, the darker fields of Plague/Festival etc). Of course, I realise that not everyone is this pedantic and I'm sure there are plenty of players who don't mind mixing tiles. But I think it might be fair to say in general that the game tends to attract people who are drawn to the neatness of the landscape and the way it all fits together - and mixing tiles does affect this visualisation (though not the gameplay itself).

Maybe one conclusion might be that the ratio of pedantic people is higher in Carcassonne fandom than in the real world. :)

Hi Jungleboy , thanks for the welcome  :)

Yeah I understand everyone will have different aspects of the game that they appreciate more. I think for me right now, it's more about the gameplay itself rather than aesthetics. But if I had been playing a long time and amassed a bigger collection, my opinion might be different   :green-meeple:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 09:52:44 AM »
Hi Murno, welcome from me too!  :(y)

I think that a lot of the backlash stemmed from the suggestion that people would be forced to either re-buy everything in the new style or stop building their much-loved collections altogether. And there was very little information about what the future was going to hold for us either.

It now seems this is becoming less and less of a suggestion and more and more of a fact, so these frustrations are justified in my opinion even though they don't hold for me personally as I'm not fussed about mixing the two different artwork styles either...

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »
I'm curious now. Seems quite a lot of HiG expansions went out of print around the beginning this year and till now there had been no reprint of them for several months? I didn't believe it at first, but now I'm starting to get doubts, if they will ever reprint the expansions in the new artwork, or they are maybe at least taking their time reconsidering this. Or had they always waited so long before reprinting the main expansions?

I would not have taken the "Castles in Germany" as a hint for that, because that was a mini aiming at the old fans, but maybe there will be some hope after all for new big expansions in the old art again. I still would not believe, that they would aim for further releases of old and new versions. I'm still pretty sure, that they will either change completely to new artwork or give it a blow as something, which did not work out the way, they initially thought.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2015, 06:40:23 AM »
While CundCo at least seams to have at least there amount of mayor eypansions, Z-Man Games now lists 1-3 and 5 as "out of stock". Even stranger, I did not find any trace of the "Carc 2" version of the site, while the original version is listed and in stock. Looks to  me like a reconsideration, that the new version wasn't that good idea after all, otherwise, they would at least feature this version as "out of print".

In the meantime in BGG Forum the people are "guessing", that the expansions will be reprinted in new artwor, soon, but there hadn't been any hint for that, had there?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
WTS multiple C1 & C2 expansions, mini-expansions, meeple sets and accessories

Started by corinthiens13

26 Replies
Last post March 15, 2021, 02:18:33 AM
by corinthiens13
xx
Expansions Featuring Other Expansions' Features

Started by Whaleyland

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 05:24:15 AM