Author Topic: Birthday in the Land of Cockaigne - Questions  (Read 9871 times)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Birthday in the Land of Cockaigne - Questions
« on: January 14, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »
First off, congratulations to the folks over at CarcF for a very neat little fanspansion. This looks really fun to play. I like the idea that the tokens are hidden to the player until the end of the game - it's very thematic that you don't know what you're getting until you "open your gift" at the end of the game. It's quite festive! Group merit for CarcF!

I do have some questions as I read through the rules. Maybe they have to do with the translation but let's see.

1. Paragraph 3 states that a player may place a Cockaigne tile that completes a Cockaigne feature (9-tile grid) and collect 9 tokens. Here is the rule: "If a follower is placed as a Gourmet, the player gets 1 token, plus he gets 1 token for each already placed landscape tiles in the immediate vicinity around the Cockaigne landscape tile. In the best case he gets 9 tokens." Paragraph 4 seems to contradict this with this statement: "If the player places the Cockaigne landscape tile as the final tile and places the Gourmet, he only gets 1 point or 1 token (the gourmet bonus is eliminated in this case)." Which paragraph is correct?

I believe the intent of the sentence in paragraph 4 is as follows: "If the player placing the Cockaigne landscape tile as the final tile also has the Gourmet, he only gets 1 point or 1 token (the gourmet bonus is eliminated in this case)." That would make the rule consistent with paragraph 2 on page 1.

2. Just to be clear, when a player has the most of a type of token at game end they score 2 points per that type of token. Is that instead of the 1 point per tile that they are receiving in the prior sentence? Or in addition to it? Here is the rule: "Each players tokens at the front side are sorted by Cockaigne symbol for scoring - each player receives 1 point per token. If the player has the majority of a particular Cockaigne symbol, he receives 2 points for every token of this symbol. If several players have the majority for the same symbol, each player gets 2 points for each token of this symbol." Intuition points to "instead of" and not "in addition to"...but just to be clear...

3. Can an unoccupied Cockaigne tile be entered by a Magic Gate?

(Edit 1/15/14: I thought of more questions.)

4. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles do I collect multiple tokens?

5. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles on which I have a Gourmet may I collect multiple tokens or earn multple points?

6. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles on one of which I have a Gourmet and on another of which my opponent has a Gourmet may I earn a point or a token and my opponent also earn a point?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=582.0
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:15:17 AM by Carcking »
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday in the Land of Cockaigne - Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:27:47 AM »
Hi Carcking,

thanks for your interest in the CarcF fan-expansion,

at CarcF I have also posted your questions, because the rule in German should be more clear words in some paragraphs, than we are able to make a better translation.

When we have finished the rule in German, we had not much time, because Klaus-Juergen wanted his birthday present at the Spiel 2013 in Essen.

Here is the link to CarcF:
Geburtstag im Schlaraffenland - Regelfragen
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:52:32 AM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 05:30:41 AM »
4. Scoring during the game
When the Cockaigne landscape tile is fully surrounded by 8 tiles, the player who placed the final tile receives 1 token (the front of which he may not see), and the player whose Gourmet is located on the Cockaigne landscape tile receives 5 points (Gourmet bonus).
If the player places the Cockaigne landscape tile as the final tile and places the Gourmet, he only gets 1 point or 1 token (the gourmet bonus is eliminated in this case). Further scoring does not take place. The Gourmet is taken back to the player's supply.

4. Wertungen waehrend des Spieles
Wenn die letzte Karte in der Umgebung einer Schlaraffenlandkarte angelegt wurde, erhaelt der Spieler, der die Karte anlegte, noch 1 Token und der Spieler, dessen Geniesser auf der Schlaraffenlandkarte liegt, erhaelt noch 5 Punkte (Geniesser-Bonus).
Sollte der Geniesser die letzte Karte selber gelegt haben, bekommt er nur 1 Punkt oder nur 1 Token (der Geniesser-Bonus entfaellt in diesem Fall). Eine weitere Wertung findet nicht statt, der Geniesser wird in den Vorrat des Spielers zurueckgenommen.

I have changed the special German letters in: ae, ue, ss

I think I did some mistake when I have translated the rule. I misunderstand the German rule and the itention of that part of the rule (second sentence).
-----------------------------------------
Here comes some talk between me and meepleater at CarcF in the rule-workshop:

The first sentence in papagraph 4:

kettlefish - my first translation:
If the last landscape tile is placed in the vicinity of Cockaigne landscape tile, the player who placed the tile gets 1 token (the front of the token he may not see).and the player, whose Gourmet is located, on the Cockaigne landscape tile receives 5 points (Gourmet bonus).

meepleater:
When the final landscape tile is placed in the vicinity of Cockaigne landscape tile, the player who placed the tile receives 1 token (the front of which he may not see), and the player whose Gourmet is located on the Cockaigne landscape tile receives 5 points (Gourmet bonus).

meepleater:
My only other problem with the rules is this:
the first sentances under Scoring during the game are a little bit unclear:
I might possibly suggest changing the opening to both paragraphs from
- When the final landscape tile is placed in the vicinity of Cockaigne landscape tile, the player who placed the tile receives 1 token...
to
- When the Cockaigne landscape tile is fully surrounded by 8 tiles, the player who placed the final tile receives 1 token...
, but that is fully up to you.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:38:35 AM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:11:15 AM »
I think this should be a better interpretation of the rule

paragraph 4 - 2nd sentence:

Sollte der Geniesser die letzte Karte selber gelegt haben, bekommt er nur 1 Punkt oder nur 1 Token (der Geniesser-Bonus entfaellt in diesem Fall).
The 2nd sentence in German refers to the first sentence which said the last landscape tile in the vicinity of the Cocaigne landscape tile (one of the 8 surrounding landscape tiles)

If the player (which has a Gourmet on the Cockaigne landscape tile) places the last landscape tile in the vicinity of that Cockaigne landscape tile, he's getting only 1 point or only 1 token (the gourmet bonus is eliminated in this case).

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:51:10 PM »
4. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles do I collect multiple tokens?
Yes

5. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles on which I have a Gourmet may I collect multiple tokens or earn multple points?
You have the choice to get one point or one token for each of your Gourmets. If the placement of a surrounding tile finish one of the features with your Gourmets then you get only one point or one token for this - no Gourmet bonus.

6. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles on one of which I have a Gourmet and on another of which my opponent has a Gourmet may I earn a point or a token and my opponent also earn a point?
You get one token for the feature of the opponents Gourmet and that player gets one point (or 5 Gourmet bonus points if the opponents feature with his/her Gourmet is finished).
You get also one point or one token (your choice) for your own Gourmet.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 04:42:17 PM »
Thank you kettlefish for the prompt answers. You answered every way I expected so that is intuitive. I say again, I like this expansion and I know my family and my play group will like it also!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »
I have 100 20mm wood discs on order so I can make the tokens. Hopefully they'll be here soon but I doubt before the weekend. I'm anxiously waiting.

I hope the fine folks over at CarcF will not mind but I took the liberty of making my own art for the back of the tokens. I wanted something more colorful and festive.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:07:44 PM by Carcking »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:28:59 PM »
Hi Carcking,
your back side of the tokens looks nice.  :D

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 06:19:11 PM »
Thanks kettlefish. We will be playing this fan expansion this weekend. I won't have the wooden discs in time but I will have the sticker fronts cut out. And I will have the tiles made!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 12:35:19 AM »
I talked with Klaus-Juergen Wrede at Burg Konradsheim in November 2013.
He really like this fan-expansion. And there he mentioned that the next Carcassonne
product will have also some tokens. Now we know it: Sheep and hills - the sheep and the wolves.

He likes the graphics...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTS: Carcassonne Neues Land / The Discovery

Started by Decar

2 Replies
Last post November 24, 2015, 06:55:06 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
Meeple Land

Started by chris6507

1 Replies
Last post November 07, 2022, 06:40:58 AM