Author Topic: Carcassonne II: The Princess & the Dragon  (Read 42956 times)

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
Carcassonne II: The Princess & the Dragon
« on: January 06, 2016, 05:54:49 AM »
Here's the cover image of the upcoming expansion with new graphics.

BGG Source

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2315.0
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Carcassonne II: The Princess & the Dragon
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 06:02:20 AM »
Well that's a bit sad. Given that I&C and T&B, along with the base game, make up the core of the game (i.e. this is what's included in all big boxes), there was a small chance that the new artwork would go no further than that. But I guess this is confirmation that the new art is here to stay.

Also, the dragon on the box looks a bit small!

On the plus side, maybe there'll be a more attractive princess on the tiles this time.

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 06:54:23 AM »
Well that's a bit sad. Given that I&C and T&B, along with the base game, make up the core of the game (i.e. this is what's included in all big boxes), there was a small chance that the new artwork would go no further than that. But I guess this is confirmation that the new art is here to stay.
I think this also confirms our (negative) suspicions that the entire game will probably be re-released in the new artwork, meaning that collectors may need to buy them if HiG decide to make some sneaky structural game changes

Sadly, this also means that any newer collectors of Carc1 will need to buy P&D now to avoid it also climbing in price (yet again)

I do like the new box artwork, however!
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:36:52 AM »
~Edit: Never mind.. i did a bad translation

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 12:54:01 PM »
Carcassonne II tiles aside, I actually really don't like this cover art. The dragon looks small because of a bad perspective drawing, the fairy looks weird—too large and out of place—and the princess is wearing clothing that just doesn't seem quite right for the implied period of this series. She also is apparently looking at the dragon even thought the dragon clearly has to be quite a ways behind her for  its size to be what it needs to be. And we must remember that the dragon eats people, so she should probably be more concerned (although the fairy IS protecting her, I guess).

Conclusion: Unimpressed with the uninspired cover.

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 01:15:31 PM »
Carcassonne II tiles aside, I actually really don't like this cover art. The dragon looks small because of a bad perspective drawing, the fairy looks weird—too large and out of place—and the princess is wearing clothing that just doesn't seem quite right for the implied period of this series. She also is apparently looking at the dragon even thought the dragon clearly has to be quite a ways behind her for  its size to be what it needs to be. And we must remember that the dragon eats people, so she should probably be more concerned (although the fairy IS protecting her, I guess).

Aren't you thinking about this too logically? I agree it's not as logically formed as Carc1 P&D, but it does look nice and appealing to the average board game player who may have a sudden interest in Carcassonne. It also works well with the new artwork of the other Carc2 expansions

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 03:44:30 PM »

Aren't you thinking about this too logically? I agree it's not as logically formed as Carc1 P&D, but it does look nice and appealing to the average board game player who may have a sudden interest in Carcassonne. It also works well with the new artwork of the other Carc2 expansions
I always think logically, and I really am disappointed with the historical debasement of Carcassonne-related items in recent years. Spin-offs I can handle, but all the Germany-centric Carcassonne expansions are baffling, and on top of that we get non-period artwork on boxes and strange perspectives (although that is unintentionally historical since medieval artists were terrible at perspective art). I was never in love with the old box art, but I feel it made more sense. This one just looks...trashy.

Here's the older box. While nobody is apparently concerned with the large dragon attacking the city, it does look suitably scary and threatening and its size is much larger with at least some implied distance between the minstrel and the dragon. The princess and minstrel are also in period dress. There's no fairy but I don't really think that needs to be shown anyway. The fairy on the new box looks ridiculous.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 04:12:32 PM »
I agree with you, whaleyland. This is probably the ugliest cover art for Carcassonne to date!

Unfortunately, although not much surprisingly, this also confirms, that HiG will continue with the new artwork as well, since "2016 editions" from HiG are listed at BGG. (Also of "Abbey & Mayor", although there is no cover picture uploaded yet.) So not much hope for further releases in the old art, except maybe an occasional mini expansion a'la "German Castles". Oddly enough, BGG claims the expansions been already released Jan, 4th, while there is no trace of them on the HiG or CundCo homepages.

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »
Sadly, this also means that any newer collectors of Carc1 will need to buy P&D now to avoid it also climbing in price (yet again)

As a relatively new Carcassonne fan, this is a bummer to me. I don't want to have to go out and buy all the expansions right now to have the artwork match, because my wife and I can only handle so many expansions at once. Oh well.
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 05:02:39 PM »
Unfortunately, although not much surprisingly, this also confirms, that HiG will continue with the new artwork as well, since "2016 editions" from HiG are listed at BGG. (Also of "Abbey & Mayor", although there is no cover picture uploaded yet.) So not much hope for further releases in the old art, except maybe an occasional mini expansion a'la "German Castles". Oddly enough, BGG claims the expansions been already released Jan, 4th, while there is no trace of them on the HiG or CundCo homepages.
Interesting. That also implies that they are skipping The Tower expansion, at least for the moment. Schmidt spiel mentions this new edition but continues the #5 expansion numbering. No image, unfortunately. I suspect that Bridges, Castles & Bazaars will be next followed by Hills & Sheep, skipping Tower, CC&K, and Catapult. That may confuse the heck out of new players when they see every other expansion skipped in numbering.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 10:53:39 PM »
I suspect that Bridges, Castles & Bazaars will be next followed by Hills & Sheep, skipping Tower, CC&K, and Catapult.

Agreed. I don't think we're going to be seeing The Catapult again...

My personal feeling is that I'm a lot more likely to be lured out of a city by the princess on the new box than the princess on the old box. Even though she has a tiny hand. Which would just be weird.

One genuine concern though, does anyone know why Carcassonne news like this keeps breaking on BGG? Given that we're kind of "The Carcassonne Guys" it surprises me that stuff like this isn't picked up here first. What do they know that we don't?

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 11:55:24 PM »
News like this are not published explicitly by Schmidt Spiele or HiG, but surfing on some websites let you know of new products. There was a post in a thread on Carcassonne-Forum on December, 26th, someone saw the third and fifth expansion announced as to be published on January, 4th and 27th, you could even order it. But there was no official info of Schmidt-Spiele or HiG. Now there is an info on the website of Schmidt-Spiele, the distributor of HiG.
One of the users of Carcassonne-forum could brought the info to BGG ...

You can also order the first (?) expansion for Carcassonne, Star Wars - Edition (to be published in summmer ...)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:57:51 PM by Fritz_Spinne »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 12:50:02 AM »
You can also order the first (?) expansion for Carcassonne, Star Wars - Edition (to be published in summmer ...)
Did you just say first expansion for Star Wars Carcassonne...?

Thread Split: Carcassonne: Star Wars Expansion 1
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:28:14 AM by Decar »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 01:40:06 AM »
I'm more curious of the wooden dragon and faerie. Will these be different as well? Maybe better made?
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 01:50:11 AM »
Perhaps the Dragon is normal sized and the princess is in fact a giant. That would explain why she keeps knights busy from scoring.

It also looks like shes having some kind of psychological episode and she can now see fairies and dragons in her delusions.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Must or may - The Princess (The Princess and The Dragon)

Started by Windekind

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2019, 04:20:10 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
when move the dragon?in the expansion princess and dragon

Started by davide

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2020, 05:41:41 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Carcassonne iOS: Princess & Dragon hidden achievement