Author Topic: A Welcome Tournament for New Members  (Read 94225 times)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: A Welcome Tournament for New Members
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »
I have just played my tournament game against Piklach. Seeing as it was getting a little late and heading towards his bedtime, we didn't have sufficient time to clear the table and play with the physical copy which is a shame but I'll try to use it with Lukey-Dukey over the next couple of days.

This was the first time that I've played Piklach where I actually tried really hard to win. It's a good job I did too, as he played a fantastic move trying to take over the big city in the south east. Initially I thought that I could keep him out, but he snuck in and then played a blinder just leaving room for the CCCC tile which he rather fortunately drew and then earned himself 34 points for the completed city after overpowering me! Had I have drawn the tile, then I would have happily sacrificed my meeple leaving the city incomplete - I would also have taken the lions share of the points for this uncompleted feature as his 2 meeples were on the eastern edge of the city where there were just a few city tiles.

While this was fight was going on, there was a major battle to command the lower field(s), with us both utilising more and more farmers trying to gain the upper hand. Thankfully these fields remained split and whilst I was outnumbered on the east side, I just claimed the majority in the west earning 15 points against Piklach's 9. As you can tell by our meeple placement, we both really went for it with the farmers, placing 9 in total between us. This obsession with farming did mean that several cloisters were not populated and there were a few lengthy roads which didn't earn us any points.

If I'm honest Piklach did place a couple of his meeples slightly carelessly, causing them to remain on uncompleted features for quite some time (at the end he had one in 1 tile city and another on a 3 tile road). However, neither of us are very experienced and we are both still finding our way and learning good techniques. Still, he did make several great moves, including some rather sneaky farmer placement which really kept me on my toes. His last tile was a cloister which he carefully placed to open up his field and earn an additional 3 points (he didn't have a meeple to place in it). I was hoping that I'd get that tile and kept a meeple in reserve just in case, as it would have fit nicely in the space that I'd created right in the middle of the board which would have earned a quick 8 points!

It was a really enjoyable game, but I did find it rather difficult (and very unfatherly) not to offer advice. Thanks for playing Piklach, I hope that you enjoyed it too!

Final scores were:
Rich_The_Fish - 121  :green-meeple:
Piklach - 89  :black1-meeple:

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
Looks like a very fun game! That big city was something else.

I just want to add that offering advice is in the rules. But you'll have to live with the consequences, whether you give it or if you choose to accept it ;)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2015, 12:08:31 AM »
Hi Decar,
do we get a x-score list for the group2?

Offline toastytoast

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 2
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
I've just played my game against Piklach.

Toastytoast - 77
Piklach - 60

Interesting game - though I was rather agressive to make sure I stuck with the majority farm. Piklach had a mega-city on the go, which I tried to curtail. He didn't finish it though the amount of end-game points for it were still pretty high!

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2015, 02:15:21 PM »
There was another game in Group 2 earlier tonight, as I played my match against Lukey-Dukey.

I started to lay claim to the main field very early on and quickly placed 2 farmers in the hope that it would deter my opponent. It did the trick, although he just beat me to claim the southern field (after already claiming the one to the east). There were a couple of features which we ended up sharing - most notably was the road worth 11 points that I muscled in on! I'll acknowledge that I was rather fortunate to be drawn all but one of the cloisters, 4 of which I placed a monk in to earn some quick points. Lukey-Dukey was unable to finish the large city or his only cloister, but he was careful not to merge the main field with his in the east (as he would have been outnumbered), although this did mean that he didn't have may meeples left at times.

It was an enjoyable game and somewhat closer than I thought it might have been at about half-time (I'd claimed the main field and had quickly built lots of little cities). To be honest, he was quite unfortunate with the tiles that he was given - but I guess that's the luck of the draw! In the end, it was probably the number of cloisters that I got which clinched the game. Thanks very much for playing Lukey-Dukey.

Final scores were:
Rich_The_Fish - 142  :green-meeple:
Lukey-Dukey - 108  :blue-meeple:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:20:53 PM by Rich_The_Fish, Reason: »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
Well done playing all these games so quickly. I feel like the end of the Round is in site. Sorry I have not had chance to update X-score, my day job has been very busy today. Hopefully I'll have chance tomorrow!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2015, 02:32:23 PM »
Also, there's quite a few Brits playing in this tournament; I wondered if you've all seen we're planning a meetup at the end of October:

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1902.msg25139#msg25139

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2015, 01:35:40 PM »
Here is the updated X-list for Group 2 -

Wow - We should make sure families compete in the same group more often.
Well done.

Koremu - Please let us know where you are and when you are available to play.  You have 5 games remaining.  The group have games remaining

LOMDR - You have 3 games remaining, please schedule your next game, with Safari because he is on holiday very soon!

franks - You have 3 games remaining and you have let us know by email when you are available, Safari can you schedule a game?

Safari - You have 2 games remaining and you've let us know when you're on holiday.

Curt & Halfling  You have 1 game each remaining; can you try and let us know when you'll be free?

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2015, 02:08:10 PM »
LOMDR is online in the chatroom

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2015, 03:45:51 PM »
I'm in the chat room now as well.
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
Finally we could play the two remaining games. So here are the results:

1. game:
LOMDR: 107
Safari:   100

2. game:
Safari: 125
franks:  65

Thank you for the games, guys!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:36:59 PM by Safari »
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2015, 07:17:47 PM »
I'd sooner forget the second game with Safari  :D
I missed a move to mitigate the horrible loss, but it was a fun game all the same.

LOMDR and franks finished off the night with a tie!

Lomdr 106

Franks 106

Offline lomdr

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2015, 07:21:54 PM »
It really came down to who drew the CCCC tile.  Franks tried to open up some avenues to place it once it was drawn and I was trying to shut them down.  I ended up drawing it near the end of the game and shared the points with him.  If he would have drawn the tile when he had options or if I didn't score 5 in that incomplete city, he would have won.

But yeah, in my game vs Safari, the same tile came out like way in the early game and I had to add on to his starting city
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:40:57 PM by lomdr »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2015, 12:10:36 AM »
Well done franks, lomdr and safari for making so many games happen at short notice!

I hope you all enjoyed the games and are having fun in the tournament so far... :)

:blue-meeple:

Offline lomdr

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2015, 09:11:54 AM »
I am, Dan, though I was positively buzzing from anticipation from when that CCCC hole was made to when I drew the tile.  At least a late night nap helped in quashing that buzzy feeling.

But yeah, I have one game left and it's with Halfling

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
grin
Welcome Tournament

Started by Decar

11 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 09:24:51 AM
by Decar
xx
Welcome Tournament 2016

Started by Decar

256 Replies
Last post January 07, 2017, 02:36:52 AM
by Adrornalin
xx
Welcome to the new forums / explanation for downtime

Started by Scott

50 Replies
Last post May 27, 2014, 08:05:28 PM
by BenTF
xx
Any last things need doing before opening doors to all members?

Started by gantry

68 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 12:49:42 PM
by Scott
xx
Members and Fan-Meeting - 13.10.2016 in Essen, Germany

Started by kettlefish

38 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 09:40:47 PM
by CKorfmann