Author Topic: Carcassonne for 8 Players  (Read 34218 times)

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne for 8 Players
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »
Wow. That's a lot of colors. I feel like I need to buy them...just to buy them. Bad reasons, right? I guess until they make available alt colors of Tunnel pieces and Abbey tiles, I won't bother. I want a truly complete set of 6 alt colors without having to re-buy everything. It would also require me purchasing a second set of Little Buildings, I suppose. Ugh. So much stuff...and my game group currently doesn't even exist!
Not to forget the phantom!

I also have the feeling inside myself, that I need to buy these new colours! Maybe this is what addiction feels like.  :o ;D
However, until now I didn't buy them, because of the reasons, that whaleyland mentioned. Still, orange (or pink) and violet would be more beautiful then black and grey. :D

Ah, yes: I have part of the pink and violet ones since I bought BB5.  ;D As I said: Addiction. XD
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
At least they finally have all the primary colors, and the monochromes:

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple

Black
Grey
White

Then we also get Pink and Brown, two blends, and Nude. I think we still need an Indigo color, which Caverna has in its color mix. Other than that, though, I feel like we have all the meeple colors we'll ever need. When are we going to get meeple emojis in these colors? I feel so limited now with only the six.  :red-meeple: :meeple: :green-meeple: :blue-meeple: :black-meeple: :gray-meeple:

Offline Safari

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »
I think we still need an Indigo color, which Caverna has in its color mix.
What would that look like? I couldn't find it online.

When are we going to get meeple emojis in these colors? I feel so limited now with only the six.  :red-meeple: :meeple: :green-meeple: :blue-meeple: :black-meeple: :gray-meeple:
LOL

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »
We have multiple players in our group that like Blue and Green...so I have two shades of each - light and dark to reign in the fighting. I also have a set in teal, lavender and maroon, as well as all of the ones whaleyland listed above. All together I have around 17 colors to choose from. Each set has its own phantom and abbey, and a set of bridges, castles and tunnels. They are complete. I got a little carried away - but there are certainly no fights about colors. :)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Wasgo

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 11:49:04 AM »
I've already bought the orange and pink meeple sets, and extra scoring tiles. I'll be buying a purple meeple set and 6 extra abbey tiles shortly too. The main things that I'll feel lacking about are extra tunnel colours and extra Phantoms.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 11:54:52 AM »
Eddababy made a set of six extra colors tunnel tokens and posted them earlier in this thread. Phantoms, of course, are a bigger deal.

Offline Wasgo

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »
They look great. I'm just not sure of my ability to cut out decent looking small circles out of thick cardboard.

Offline Safari

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 10:24:55 PM »
We have multiple players in our group that like Blue and Green...so I have two shades of each - light and dark to reign in the fighting. I also have a set in teal, lavender and maroon, as well as all of the ones whaleyland listed above. All together I have around 17 colors to choose from. Each set has its own phantom and abbey, and a set of bridges, castles and tunnels. They are complete. I got a little carried away - but there are certainly no fights about colors. :)
You have to take a photo of that amazing collection, please! Especially of the tunnel tokens and the phantoms.  ^-^

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 01:40:44 AM »
Just to throw a spanner in the works...

Would you also need to scale your sheep and wolf tokens? The numbers are worked out so that as you draw more sheep, you have a higher chance of drawing a wolf. With six players compared to say, three, the sheep will be spread out more and each player will have a reduced scoring opportunity and a higher chance of drawing a wolf more quickly. Since the expansion is designed for up to six players, this is obviously accounted for. But with eight players, your sheep would go even faster. 

Probably irrelevant, but if you were scaling for up to twelve players as I think I saw someone suggest it might be pertinent. Thoughts?

Christopher
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:01:21 PM by crispy_jones, Reason: Misspelling. »
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 07:19:19 AM »
For 12 players I'd probably take 2x all the sheep and wolf tokens. The probability of drawing a wolf is the same, but with only 18 tokens there is no chance to build a strong herd. So I think there is a good reason to scale the sheep and wolf tokens, too. Maybe 9 tokens extra (including 1 wolf) for 7 - 9 players and 18 tokens extra für 10 - 12 players.

Offline Safari

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »
Just to throw a spanner in the works...

Would you also need to scale your sheep and wolf tokens? The numbers are worked out so that as you draw more sheep, you have a higher chance of drawing a wolf. With six players compared to say, three, the sheep will be spread out more and each player will have a reduced scoring opportunity and a higher chance of drawing a wolf more quickly. Since the expansion is designed for up to six players, this is obviously accounted for. But with eight players, your sheep would go even faster. 

Probably irrelevant, but if your were scaling for up to twelve players as I think I saw someone suggest it might be pertinent. Thoughts?

Christopher
If we take the BB5 as reference, one probably should not, since they included all the extra stuff for 8 players but didn't raise the amount of sheep tokens.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »
Sure they did. They put some sheep on the River. Maybe they didn't add tiles, but they added sheep.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2015, 03:16:09 PM »
Well, that's what Safari wrote: they did not add tokens. So they did not alter the likeness of drawing a wolf. Plus the sheep tiles are rather restricted to a small area around the river. And the use of this tiles is not restricted to 8 players games anyway, so HiG does not make there any difference.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 03:25:29 PM by Hounk »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 04:19:31 PM »
Fair enough. But I think we can make an assumption here that while BB5 added two more 50/100 tokens and included all the relevant player pieces, they did not actually scale the game up to 8 players, they merely added the pieces to support that many players. The repercussions of adding two more players to the game were probably not even tested except informally. I'd say that the inclusion of the sheep and vineyard on the River I tiles was possibly in response to the fact that the game may not be balanced with 8 players without those additions. Since Hills & Sheep includes six vineyards (one per player), adding two more in The River I brings the number up to match the number of potential players. While the math for that doesn't work as well in regards to adding two more sheep, I assume that it was still the purpose of the addition. With all the expansions combined, six more cloisters were added (which mathematically does not quite line up to the scaling totals we've devised, but I think is close). Inns, Cathedrals, Wheel numbers, and trading locations have not been scaled.

In any case, I think the two sheep and two vineyards were a poor attempt to scale the game and that there is an assumption when playing BB5 with eight players that The River will be included in that game. Perhaps that could have been stated somewhere in the rules, but game companies are notoriously brief in addressing such issues.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 02:21:07 AM »
While I agree, that they might have added the 2 more colors as a bonus without too much testing, I would doubt, that the features on the river tiles were meant for scaling. I would rather think, this was made, to further promote the newest expansion, like you know it was also done on the CundCo Halflings.

But, if they were thinking about scaling sheep and wolves, don't you think, that they would have started with that right from the beginning? Providing rules, that you, lets say, have to include only 9 sheep tokens, when playing with 2 players, 12 when playing with 3, etc? After all, the difference in the likeness of drawing wolfs is bigger between 2 and 6 players, then between 6 and 8 players.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
How many players in your normal Carcassonne games?

Started by PapaGeek

11 Replies
Last post October 08, 2022, 11:23:52 AM
by DIN0
clip
(Translated) Labyrinths of Carcassonne - Official Advanced Players Variant Rules

Started by ozgurceylan

11 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 09:10:43 AM
by Just a Bill
question
Carcassonne for more than 6 players?

Started by Nebus

19 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 11:12:47 AM
by SRBO
xx
Carcassonne with Teams of 2 (or more players)

Started by Halfling

6 Replies
Last post November 05, 2017, 05:07:00 AM
by SamoolSamosa
xx
Preparations for National championships (4-players game)

Started by Halfling

11 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 10:28:54 AM
by Halfling