Author Topic: Welcome Tournament 2016  (Read 97958 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Welcome Tournament 2016
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2016, 12:44:45 PM »
Thanks for the Questions WhatIf?

Last year's tournament was broken into three rounds:

Round 1: Base Game 1v1 in 2groups of 6 players
Round 2: Base Game, River 2, The Cult, Cathars / Siege, 1v1 in 3 groups of 4 players.
Round 3: Base Game, The Phantom, Traders & Builders, The Tower, Corn Circles II, 1v2, 4 groups.

This year we only have 8 players. 12 is a great number (it's a superior highly composite number), but I do not think it will be feasible to wait for 4 more players to start.  Group B is already waiting for AC to finish after we have already lost some players.

The last round of last year's welcome tournament was a 3-player game; unfortunately only 2 of the 4 managed to get played and both of those took over a month to schedule!  I'd love to see a 4-player game being played, but I don't think it's likely to happen.

Having said all that I'm very open to ideas, so if everyone wants to play 4-player games, then just shout now :)

The Welcome Tournament is meant to reflect the players and try to introduce expansions players may not have tried before (if they're new) or in the combination.  Last year, the Cult and Cathars and the River were chosen because these were some of the first mini-expansions produced for Carcassonne, and they work well together.  I'm quite happy to see something different played if people have suggestions, I'm all ears :)

Given we have two groups of 4, I think Round 2 will probably consist of:  {1,3} vs {2,4}; if we finish in good time, there may be time for one more round to allow players to distinguish themselves ;)

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2016, 07:17:19 AM »
daliles and I finally had our match.  Although it was a tough battle I emerged victorious.  Daliles jumped off to a quick start completing multiple monasteries.  My keys to success were domination of the large farm, completing my 16 pt city, and joining daliles' 12 pt. road.  It was a fun match.  Thank you daliles!!  I look forward to round 2.  :green-meeple:

Joe Sesquipedalian 106  :green-meeple:
daliles                    92  :violet-meeple:
Who got a smudge on the tile?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2016, 07:22:04 AM »
Looked like a fierce fight for the farms!

Well done both playing the games and getting started Daliles!

Group AC: With the timezone difference perhaps the weekend is the best time to find a suitable time to organize your games with Daliles.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2016, 10:40:30 AM »
Dailies - Have you been able to schedule any more games for the tournament?  I think you still have two left to play with Skane and Clownfeet.  I believe these are the last games to be played on this round too!

Offline Clownfeet

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 11
  • I have updated my profile now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2016, 06:34:59 AM »
we will try and get ours in this weekend.
must...collect...more...tiles....

Offline Skane

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • Keep calm and block the meeples
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »
Finally played my game with daliles.
Had easy game for me, without stress and presser. daliles always got big city tiles, I always got small city tiles, that why daliles trapped him self in too many big cities.
Lucky for me, I always received city ending tiles, If I remember correct, daliles finished only 2 small cities on this board, all other cities were mine.
Also I have not felt presser on that big farmers field,  till the end of the game, but daliles had meeples and chances to try to connect to it.
Don't know why he has not tried, maybe because of small experience in Carcassonne.
Thank for the game, and good luck in final 1 round game.  :violet-meeple:

:violet-meeple: Skane (112) :  :green-meeple: daliles (62)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2016, 01:50:20 PM »
Often these things are much easier to analyse after the event.  It looks to be that Daliles had chance to win 2 quite large cities, but I suppose the tiles didn't come up in quite the way he intended.  Even if attacking the farm for 18 points was feasible, losing 2 meeple in a city at any point of the game would make it impossible to make a good challenge. Either way it looks like Daliles fought to the end.

Sometimes the tiles are good, sometimes the tiles are bad, but it's definitely worth remaining humble when the tiles went your way.  :(y) :(y)

Thank you both for organizing your game.  Unless, I've lost the plot I think there's one more game left to play and Round 1 will be over!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2016, 07:07:51 AM »
Here are the updated X-scores for Round1

GroupB - completed!

One game left to play - and it's an important one,  Clownfeet and daliles have yet to win a game, so the outcome of this position will decide 3rd and 4th place for the first Round!

Hope you get your game organized soon!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2016, 09:21:29 AM »
Dalilies and Clownfeet will be playing the last game of the 1st Round on Sunday evening.

The winner of this game will be seated 3rd in Group A/C, the loser 4th.  In the event of a draw daliles will take 3rd seat because he has scored 154 points vs Clownfeet's 150.  If the game is not played Dalilies has offered to forfeit the game due to scheduling difficulties (and Gencon next week!).  Either way, the game will not prevent either player from doing well in the next round and there is still everything to play for!

Given it's the weekend I'd like to start Round 2 now.  Two new groups will be created for this Round:

Group 1 = {What If?, Adrornalin, JoeSesquipedalian, Group A/C 4th}
Group 2 = {Skane, Group A/C 3rd, Start Player, Daromar}

The expansions in this round will be:  The base game, Inns & Cathedrals, The Wind Rose, Mage & Witch & German Monasteries (replacing Cloisters).

You're welcome to organize your games now.  Here is an image describing the changes from the 1st to 2nd Round:

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
  • Merit: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2016, 02:25:44 PM »
The tournament continues :(y) Thanks for the information. Looks like I have to learn the rules of the wind rose and of the german monasteries now. After that I'm free to play whenever you are ready, dear opponents!  :)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2016, 05:08:45 AM »
Dalilies was unable to make his game last night, due to circumstances outside of his control. He has offered to forfeit his game against Clownfeet.

The Points Difference could be quite important, so it difficult to estimate the effect. 
On paper both players seem similar, but this does not consider so many factors of Carcassonne.

I have done the following to estimate that if Clownfeet were to win, it would be by points: 18 points.

Comparing the other 2 games:
Daliles - Total Points Score: 154,  Points Against:  218         PD:-64
Clownfeet - Total Points Scored: 150, Points Against: 192.   PD:-42

Clownfeet scores less points, but has less points scored against him
Difference in Points Scored:  -4   , Difference in PD:  +22

I've decided to take the difference in Points Scored vs Points Difference to come to a total of +18 to Clownfeet. 

I hope that's reasonable.

• Duke
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2016, 09:45:20 AM »

I hope that's reasonable.

Seems fair to me given the circumstances.

Offline Clownfeet

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 11
  • I have updated my profile now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
shame that we couldn't do it properly. but that's fine with me. So, onwards and (hopefully) upwards!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2016, 10:24:19 AM »
I meant to add I hope Dalilies was able to resolve whatever happened and he'll be able to resume the contest soon!

• Duke
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2016, 10:50:03 AM »
I found a problem with the WindRoses on JCloisterZone.  If you place a windrose in the correct quadrant, it gives you 3 pts.  Good.  But, if you place the tile and then 'UNDO' (ctrl-z), it removes the tile and the points stay.  You can repeat tile placement, getting 3 pts each time, for unlimited points. 

It shouldn't affect the games if everyone is aware of this and does not use it maliciously..... but please be aware of this!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
A Welcome Tournament for New Members

Started by Decar

312 Replies
Last post January 12, 2016, 08:07:02 AM
by franks
grin
Welcome Tournament

Started by Decar

11 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 09:24:51 AM