Author Topic: Crop Circles - House Rules  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Treamayne

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Crop Circles - House Rules
« on: December 04, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »
I tried doing a search, but came up empty. I was wondering if anybody has tried using the "remove follower" scoring from "Messenger" expansion with Crop Circles? So, when a follower is removed from an incomplete feature it scores according to end-of-game rules. Thinking about trying this with Crop Circles: Winter and wondered if anybody has tried it and how you think it worked out. Seems like it could add some strategic options to the choices the expansion brings.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3007.0

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
Re: Crop Circles - House Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 01:45:52 PM »
I haven't thought of that. I have a feeling it would be workable but not better, and perhaps slightly worse. The advantage of crop circles is that whatever choice you make is forced on everyone. I think that makes it interesting. At least your idea maintains that. With the standard rules the advantage of the remove action is that you get a meeple back but lose the points you were holding. Your proposed house rule would simplify the tactical choice by removing the loss of points. May be no other player would have a qualifying meeple and then it is much simpler. So my criticism is that I think it would make it tactically  slightly  less interesting.

EDIT: As an afterthought, have you looked at the festival expansion. Making that more interesting through houserules could be popular.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:48:32 PM by asparagus »

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »
EDIT: As an afterthought, have you looked at the festival expansion. Making that more interesting through houserules could be popular.

Or the ever-popular-for-house-ruling: Bazaars. ;D (For which I've just recently decided to use JPutt927's Fortune Teller rules. ;) Hey, they both have yellow grass.)
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline Treamayne

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:27:53 PM »
I haven't thought of that. I have a feeling it would be workable but not better, and perhaps slightly worse. The advantage of crop circles is that whatever choice you make is forced on everyone....May be no other player would have a qualifying meeple and then it is much simpler. So my criticism is that I think it would make it tactically  slightly  less interesting.

In messenger, when you get tile 8, it's always a tough choice on whether you abandon a small feature for less points, or a larger feature for more. You can sometimes remove from a contested feature as well, and at least you are getting partial points instead of nothing (and leaving 2+ of their followers in a non-contested area, but stuck until complete). I thought those same decisions could make Crop Circles interesting, while lessening the "sting." But it also makes the choice between placing or removing more intricate as there are more things to consider to make the "best" choice for any given CC tile.

Honestly, the first time we played Crop Circles, we thought it worked that way (since we had been playing Messenger for a couple weeks). Then we realized it didn't work that way, and I wasn't sure why the two "remove followers" actions worked differently for the two expansions.

Well, we only have Winter, so I can only use expansions compatible with that (Right now we have Messenger, Gingerbread Man, and just got Crop Circles: Winter... Looking for Phantoms since I hear that works with Winter as well). There are a few of the expansions I have read about in the last week that I hope come out with a Winter version.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Catapults, crop circles and robbers

Started by Curt194

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2015, 02:23:40 PM
by Curt194
xx
WTB: Crop Circles 1

Started by robnhill

10 Replies
Last post January 26, 2017, 12:52:18 PM