Author Topic: Carcosa: some questions.  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Drodo

• Duke
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Carcosa: some questions.
« on: July 24, 2020, 12:45:49 PM »
I know Carcosa is not an official Carcassonne game but it's heavily inspired by it and any big Carcassonne fan could at least know about it.

I have two questions about the rules:

1- Does the Ritual tile itself score 1 point at the end of the game or only the surrounding tiles do?

The rules say 1 point per surrounding tile but is not specific about the ritual tile itself also counting, like Monasteries in Carcassonne do.

2- Can you run out of cultists (meeples)? If you sacrifice them all and they get devoured by the Feaster, are you eliminated from the game or can you keep drawing and placing tiles with no possibility of scoring any more points?

Edit: 3rd question.

Can you inbue a power stone that requires less power than the amount of tiles a completed power line has? The rules say you can inbue a stone of "exactly" the same value, but later it contradicts itself in the examples.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4739.0
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 01:19:01 PM by Drodo »

Offline Murphy013

• Marquis
  • Merit: 36
  • Tempus fugit
    • View Profile
Re: Carcosa: some questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 04:07:45 AM »
I don’t know it. Can you tell me a little bit more about it

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 07:57:23 AM »
Murphy: I wrote a review about Carcsoa here: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3385.msg50128#msg50128

It's a game that takes many elements of Carcassonne and applies different mechanics and produces some interesting interactions.

Hi Drodo,
Great questions, I'll try and answer now and ask the designer for clarification.

1) Agree with what you said. I've always given it a point (like a monastery). Possibly by accident.

2)I've never managed this, but it's very similar to laying too many farmers. Like you said you place tiles, but no further chances of scoring, potentially you could still win a cult ascends.

3) Generally yes.  The advanced rule says:
>A cult leader may empower stones whose total does not exceed the ley line length.
>For example, if a cult completes a ley line of length 6, they may empower a single size 6 stone, or a size 2 and a size 4 stone.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 08:06:33 AM by Decar »

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 09:41:31 AM »
Hi Decar, do you know enough for a book of handy playing hints and tips?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline nigel_1fe

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 03:03:30 AM »
Hi Drodo,

1- Does the Ritual tile itself score 1 point at the end of the game or only the surrounding tiles do?
The rules say 1 point per surrounding tile but is not specific about the ritual tile itself also counting, like Monasteries in Carcassonne do.
I'm pretty sure the rules say: "The ritualist’s cult must advance their Oracle one space on the Occult Power Track plus an additional one for each surrounding tile.", so yes, they score like monasteries.

2- Can you run out of cultists (meeples)? If you sacrifice them all and they get devoured by the Feaster, are you eliminated from the game or can you keep drawing and placing tiles with no possibility of scoring any more points?
Yes, it's theoretically possible. It's more likely that a novice player can make some rash sacrifices in the early game and then be hamstrung in the late game which is something I've always vaguely regretted about the game - but it's not supposed to be a casual game.

Can you inbue a power stone that requires less power than the amount of tiles a completed power line has? The rules say you can inbue a stone of "exactly" the same value, but later it contradicts itself in the examples.
Yes, you can embue a ritual stone of up to the amount of tiles a completed line has. I see the mistake at the bottom of page 8 and I am sorry about the confusion that has caused you.

Hope this helps,

Nigel.

Offline nigel_1fe

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 03:08:42 AM »
Hi Decar, do you know enough for a book of handy playing hints and tips?
Hi Halfling,

Don't know if this will help, but I wrote a short guide for reviewers that you might want to have a read of:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a7G8Vdru5KfAonV03jS0kvREIzuIAsjsFwuEic5HhXY/edit?usp=sharing

Though please bear in mind that both my daughter and wife pound me into the ground at the game (and Decar beat me in his first game), so, you know, there's that...

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 12:36:15 PM »
Thanks for stopping by Nigel!

I'm considering suggesting we rebrand to Carcosa Central.  ;D

I think Halfling was having a little joke with me, one of our forum administrators (Danisthirty), recently published a book about Carcassonne that included some hints for playing.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 11:32:15 PM »
Indeed so. I will have to look this game up on bgg.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcosa - Pre-Production Review

Started by Decar

13 Replies
Last post June 27, 2017, 01:52:38 PM
by Decar
xx
Carcosa: Where can I get it?

Started by Murphy013

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2020, 09:40:35 AM