Poll

How do you primarily use the Labyrinth?

I use the scoring variant and try to build the Labyrinth off a Road I already control.
I use the scoring variant and try build the Labyrinth on somebody else's Road to try to maximize points.
I do not use the scoring variant – I just treat the Labyrinth as a four-way Road.
I use it in some other creatively strategic manner (describe below).
I don't ever play with or don't own The Labyrinth.

Author Topic: Element of the Week #56 – The Labyrinth  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Element of the Week #56 – The Labyrinth
« on: April 15, 2017, 04:53:42 PM »
ELEMENT OF THE WEEK: THE LABYRINTH

Each week, a specific element from an expansion or spin-off is chosen for deeper discussion. This is an opportunity for you, Carcassonne's biggest English-language fans, to discuss strategies and problems you have encountered through the years regarding specific expansion elements. All forms of critique – from the most joyous to the most scathing – are encouraged.

This week's element is THE LABYRINTH. As an expansion, this two-tile release in 2016 marked the passing of batons between the old art and the new. Two tiles with identical purposes and arrangements, one illustrated by Doris Matthäus, the other by Anne Pätzke. As an element, there is only really one tile to consider. The Labyrinth is basically a four-way Road. All Roads going into the Labyrinth are considered the same and, therefore, it has no special rules. But naturally there are official variant rules for this visually unique tile, so why are we even bothering with the "official" rules?

The official variant rules for this element were released by Hans im Glück shortly afterwards. Basically, when a player places the Labyrinth, they can claim the maze with one of their Followers. It does not matter if there are other Followers on connected Roads. When all the Roads in the network are completed, the Labyrinth is scored. The whole Road network is considered in determining who has the majority of Followers (including the Follower on the Labyrinth). Furthermore, the victorious player receives 2 points per Follower of any player on the Road network. Thus, the stakes are raised quite high. Now granted, there is a distinct advantage to the player who draws the Labyrinth – they can choose where to place the tile and automatically get to claim the title (if they so choose). That means they often can begin with a +2 advantage over anybody else who tries to sneak into the Labyrinth. But if you are the daring type, you can place it on a tile with somebody else's Follower and try to increase the amount of the completion bonus.

Discuss your relationship with The Labyrinth, as well as your strategies for taking advantage of this element.

Next Week's Topic: Equipment (from Star Wars)      C:-)  :-X

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3256.0
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:09:58 PM by whaleyland »

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Re: Element of the Week #56 – The Labyrinth
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 12:14:12 AM »
I didn't realise there were variant rules.  I use the rules received with the tiles and magazine as it is difficult to maintain credibility with my gaming friends by changing / adding rules to those originally published.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 01:24:14 AM »
Thankfully the rules in the magazine say to fvisit the Hans Im gluck website for the advsnced rules. So that was always their intention.  They probably wanted to rush something to print.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »
I didn't know of the 2 points per other meeple :o
I like putting them in (usually use both of them in one game), because it can make for some interesting roads.
Roads with lakes, or leading up to German Cathedrals, or German Castles, or even to the School can be made very interesting and worth a lot of points with the labyrinth.
Usually they end up being used as 4-way crossroads, but sometimes someone will be able to score some decent points by stealing it from someone else with the labyrinth.
Its happened often that someone starts with the labyrinth with 1 meeple on it, and someone connects to it using their big follower, thus getting the majority already.

I like this little mini expansion!
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:26:25 AM »
New Element of the Week posts, how exciting!

I like the Labyrinth, but as I've said before, I like anything which makes roads more dynamic. I often throw this into larger games as wildcard, given that it's only one tile.

I also like using it with my little variation expansion described here.

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2598.0

It gets a bit wild with multiple players, but it's good fun!
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Sparky Ham

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:48:34 PM »
Used the Labyrinth tile for the first time last night in a 3-player game. Played the official rules and we all agreed that it injected an element of excitement into the game! When it was drawn and placed, it created a new area of competitive road building; Felt like competing for a city, but in a more sprawling, chaotic way! Will definitely be using it again.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum Sparky Ham!

Thanks for sharing yoir thoughts on the Labyrinth tiles. It sounds like you had a great time with it!  Did you play with any other expansions?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 01:37:18 AM
by danisthirty
question
Element of the Week #63 – The Ringmaster

Started by Whaleyland

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2017, 12:49:26 AM
by SpaZ_88
xx
The Princess – Element of the Week #4