Author Topic: School questions  (Read 10502 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
School questions
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:16:18 AM »
This week I received my copy of School from cundco.de. Yesterday on my regular game evening we have tried to play it and already have some questions:
1. It is not clear what happens when a player completes other player's road leading to the School. I mean: Player A completes a road leading to the School owned by Player B. Who will receive the Teacher?
2. If two or more players own a School road, who will receive the Teacher? The one with a majority? Or the one who completed the road? Or the one who completed the road and received points?
3. If the School road is completed and no one received points for it, the Teacher stays in School or the one who completed that road will receive the Teacher?
4. If someone has the Teacher and some feature is completed, but no one received points for it, does a player receive points for this unclaimed feature and return the Teacher to the School, or a player has to wait till someone will actually receive some points?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=587.0
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Ratz65

• Marquis
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
Re: School questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:54:21 AM »
1. Player A (he have compleded the road)
2. The player, who have compleded the road.
3. the one who completed that road will receive the Teacher
4. a player has to wait till someone will actually receive some points, because if no points are awarded, it is no scoring.

for more information, you can contact christof.tisch@hans-im-glueck.de
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:57:25 AM by Ratz65 »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:02:19 AM »
Ratz65
Thank you for the answers! So, as I can understand, the main idea is the same that is with the trade goods in T&B: complete the feature - receive the bonus.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
I agree with all those answers, but here's another question.

Is the School a junction of the roads? Does it terminate all the roads? Or is there one road that runs through it still connected?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:06:02 PM by kettlefish »
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Ratz65

• Marquis
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
I think, all roads end at the school. On the left hand tile, it looks as if the road continues downward. On the right tile, it looks as if the right road continues. But it will be so that all roads end at the school. If this is not so, then the right road leads over the school to the bottom left. At beginning the game, all players can set it. Possibly it is quite good, if one road continues  ;)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »
Yes, from the right edge to the bottom left - that is the one I was referring to.

@obervet - maybe one for the CAR? Has this been officially asked and answered?

blue dog

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »
Sorry, I've been delinquent in my attendance here recently. I have to believe that all 6 roads are independent features, and that the illustration is not supposed to imply continuation, but I admit I don't truly know that. I have added the question to my official list.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 04:06:02 AM »
...I have to believe that all 6 roads are independent features, and that the illustration is not supposed to imply continuation...

I agree with this but why don't they take care with their artwork in the first place to prevent such questions?

One would assume they ARE taking care with their artwork...and so the continuous road is intended. But who knows...

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 05:41:30 AM »
It may be that this is a similar situation to the Inns & Cathedrals tile seen in footnote 39 of CAR v6.4 (the one with the little footpaths going from one city to another). On the original version of that tile, the junction was drawn without rocks (or bushes, or whatever they are), making it appear that the road was continuous, but the tile was still supposed to be played as if that were a normal junction, i.e. ending the road segments. I suspect that the school is supposed to act as a "junction" for all of the road segments, thus ending all of them, but that the artwork was unfortunately left ambiguous for those with eagle eyes.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »
...similar situation to the Inns & Cathedrals tile...making it appear that the road was continuous, but the tile was still supposed to be played as if that were a normal junction, i.e. ending the road segments...

Yeah, not to get off track but that is another one. We actually house rule that on the one tile there IS a junction, and on the other there is NOT. It's very difficult to hold the position that the one that is clearly open road is a junction.  :)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 01:09:09 PM »
Clarification of rules - Email with HiG - 05 05 2014 - Reply #5

There are 6 separate roads, as usual a junction separates roads.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Ferries and the School interaction questions

Started by DaFees

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2017, 12:32:33 PM
by Paul
xx
School Meeples

Started by Clownfeet

8 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 01:04:11 AM