Author Topic: republishing expansions  (Read 17956 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: republishing expansions
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 07:18:07 AM »
Don't underestimate the new edition of Carcassonne. If social media is anything to go by ~60% of photographs shared are the new artwork and we know the new WatchTowers expansion is only produced in the new artwork.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 07:29:14 AM »
Knowing that most of the Carcassonne community wont buy it.

You think? A lot of people now are coming to the new edition of Carcassonne with little or no exposure to the old art version. I don't see why they would be any less interested in any of the 2012 mini expansions than we were when they first became available. But maybe I'm wrong.

Interesting side-note, the River I in the new art does not include Vineyards or Sheep as in the Big Box 5 version. Not sure what that means, but it means...something...

It probably just means HiG hadn't planned that far ahead when they released the new artwork edition.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 09:43:32 AM »
Knowing that most of the Carcassonne community wont buy it.

You think? A lot of people now are coming to the new edition of Carcassonne with little or no exposure to the old art version. I don't see why they would be any less interested in any of the 2012 mini expansions than we were when they first became available. But maybe I'm wrong.

Still most of the community already has them right?  I can understand if you buy the normal expansions a second time.. but, i think (although i don't speak for the rest) people won't buy it.
My guess is that they would release new mini's rather then the old ones. Because if they do so, everyone buys it. And that is what you want as a publisher right?

Don't underestimate the new edition of Carcassonne. If social media is anything to go by ~60% of photographs shared are the new artwork and we know the new WatchTowers expansion is only produced in the new artwork.
If so, then it would finally be the time that I buy carcassonne 2.0 (just for the japanese temples, watchtower and abbot)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 09:45:54 AM by SRBO »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 10:12:09 AM »
Still most of the community already has them right?  I can understand if you buy the normal expansions a second time.. but, i think (although i don't speak for the rest) people won't buy it.

I don't disagree with your logic or marketing sense SRBO! But as you said yourself, if the members of a community such as ours already own everything (or almost everything anyway) then there's little money to be made from us so HiG would target other types of player.

If there are a whole new generation of gamers growing up with the new edition of Carcassonne (as it sounds like there are) then why wouldn't they sell them something that they've already designed once and which proved popular with the first generation of players?

Sent from my phone while hiding in the toilets at work

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 11:28:31 AM »

If there are a whole new generation of gamers growing up with the new edition of Carcassonne (as it sounds like there are) then why wouldn't they sell them something that they've already designed once and which proved popular with the first generation of players?

I guess that if HiG wants to be populair rather then get money. then i totally agree with you.. it then would make sense to me

Offline txema25

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • I'm still haven't found what I looking for
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 03:18:21 PM »
They should sell all their products for both types of art. I would not mix the different tiles.

Offline Jesusgcas

• Villein
  • Merit: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 03:46:04 PM »
In my opinion this product is in a mature stage of the life cicle and the are just trying to offer something else(the new graphics more adecuated to nowadays) to expand the market.

I agree with Danisthirty. And I could add that I believe is not us who give profit to Hig, we are few. They try to sell the product to the masses that want to try a new board game or buy something for a gift and so on.

And we probably end up buying also the new edition sooner or later. At least I will.

I don't expect much in the old art and the new expansions will be new, with the good things from old editions but not necessarily the same.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 06:41:45 PM »
Interesting side-note, the River I in the new art does not include Vineyards or Sheep as in the Big Box 5 version. Not sure what that means, but it means...something...

It probably just means HiG hadn't planned that far ahead when they released the new artwork edition.
Honestly, I would have been surprised, if they would have included a "River I" with features of H&S in the base game box of the new version. This would have simply made no sense at all, no matter, if they decided already, if they'll release H&S or not. I'm preaty sure, they will re-release all mayor expansions with the possible exception of "Catapult", since that one bombed. Maybe they replace that one with something different, like a compilation of minis, not necessary all of them, but at least some popular ones like "Ferries" and "Besiegers". I also really doubt, that WoF will get another release, because it had never been reprinted in the old art, and I suppose, it was initially mainly a gimmick to package with the novel.

Offline Geordieracer82

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 08:16:06 PM »

Honestly, I would have been surprised, if they would have included a "River I" with features of H&S in the base game box of the new version. This would have simply made no sense at all, no matter, if they decided already, if they'll release H&S or not. I'm preaty sure, they will re-release all mayor expansions with the possible exception of "Catapult", since that one bombed. Maybe they replace that one with something different, like a compilation of minis, not necessary all of them, but at least some popular ones like "Ferries" and "Besiegers". I also really doubt, that WoF will get another release, because it had never been reprinted in the old art, and I suppose, it was initially mainly a gimmick to package with the novel.

WoF got a reprint in the last big box, was the only way I ended up with a copy of it.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 08:47:13 PM »
WoF got a reprint in the last big box, was the only way I ended up with a copy of it.
This is the reason why I believe it will be reprinted, actually. If the game was just a marketing gimmick, they would not have reprinted it in Big Box 5. The fact that they did, and that they repackaged it as a slightly more regular expansion (however bad the results) suggests to me that they still consider that a core expansion. I suspect that we'll see Wheel of Fortune taking the Expansion #7 spot in the future, especially since they were released at around the same time. It just makes sense if they are going to drop Catapult anyway.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 09:08:01 PM »
The best thing about Carcassonne is it's like the internet.  There are enough expansions and exceptions to prove any point you need to make.

So long as there's no Carcassonne rule 35....

Offline cidervampire

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 07:12:01 AM »
I came really close to buying the new versions of the expansions while I was in Transylvania last week. I was on my way to the till when I noticed that the picture on the back of the box showed the tiles had rounded corners. A shame really as they worked out pretty cheap

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »

So long as there's no Carcassonne rule 35....

When dragons are attacking nearby cities, you don't find it odd that the Princess kicks one of the Knights out so that another one can enter the city? 

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 08:25:18 AM »

I have no idea what this watchtowers expansion is, and I can't seem to find any reference to it. I even checked the calendar to see if maybe it was April 1st.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 08:27:24 AM »
It appears in the Essen Spiel 'New Releases' PDF. It's on the website. I did put a link somewhere above.

It's new artwork only apparently.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Expansions Featuring Other Expansions' Features

Started by Whaleyland

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 05:24:15 AM
by jungleboy
clip
WTS multiple C1 & C2 expansions, mini-expansions, meeple sets and accessories

Started by corinthiens13

26 Replies
Last post March 15, 2021, 02:18:33 AM
by corinthiens13
xx
Report: MegaCarc (w/ 14 expansions)

Started by AlbinoAsian

10 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 11:14:56 AM
by wicke
xx
WTB Carcassonne C1 - expansions

Started by lr

6 Replies
Last post June 04, 2022, 05:57:14 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Which fan expansions do you regularly play?

Started by Rosco

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2015, 07:35:55 AM
by ARabidMeerkat