Author Topic: Finished some new tuckboxes.. and my collection!  (Read 9565 times)

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
  • No, *you* haven't updated your profile yet.
    • View Profile
Finished some new tuckboxes.. and my collection!
« on: April 01, 2017, 07:01:19 AM »
Not too long ago, I got in touch with Whaleyland who was kind enough to send over the original files for his excellent tuckboxes, and I adapted a bunch to house the expansions he hadn't got round to completing yet. I was going to just post some photos of the results, but as it looks unlikely we'll see any further Carc I expansions (and I've got no interest in collecting Carc II), I figured I'd go all in and cover the tuckboxes, storage, token replacement, and more in one big Check Out My Complete(?) Carcassonne Collection post.

Everything fits into the ArtBin carry case, (model 6962AB)

On the top shelf of the bin, the player sets are kept in 10x13cm drawstring bags from The Clever Baggers. Each of the 12 colours contains all 18 Carc I pieces, as well as an abbot.

Everything came from either the games or cundco, with the exception of the alt-phantoms, which were bought from MitchMedia on etsy

The top shelf also houses the scoreboard, both versions of the single-tile city, the Wheel of Fortune, Catapult, and ruler.

Finally, in the top shelf, there are two small plastic cases holding a bunch of assorted wooden pieces that I'm using to replace the cardboard tokens for various expansions. Swapping out the cardboard makes for a much nicer looking game in my opinion, and helps point various features out when throwing everything together for a game of mega carc. Everything in here was bought from spielmaterial.

Four wall pieces build up nicely over a two-tile city to make a castle:

Sheep (just got to remember not to put the token back in the bag once its drawn).

The Little Buildings.

Traders & Builders resources. I decided to go for the cloth stack chips over the shirt pieces.

The Plague. I was undecided for a while as to how to replace the flea tokens. I toyed with the idea of gravestone pieces, but in the end went for these little rats. Currently, I'm standing them up if they're active and on their side if they're inactive, however I think I might paint one side of them a different colour and distinguish them as being black side up/grey side up.

King's crown & Robber's cap. These pieces are useful if I'm including Count, King & Robber in a game of mega carc to denote the largest city & road, respectively. The cap is actually a ship piece from Kingdom Builder, but I figured the shape is close enough to the classic Robbin Hood look to get the point across.

I've still held onto the original tokens though, and kept them in 6x9cm bags, again from The Clever Baggers. Clockwise from the white bag: sheep/wolf tokens, castle tokens, gold pieces, flea/outbreak tokens, T&B resource tokens, misc pieces (count, teacher, mage, witch, dragon, fairy, big pig, fliers die), little buildings, ferries, catapult tokens, and tunnel chips.

Closeup on the tuckboxes. I prefer Whaleyland's tuckbox design over Tom's or JT Atomico's; so most of these are his original designs, with a few being slightly altered, and a few are made from scratch in Derek's style. Assuming that there's no further tiles to be released in the original artwork, I think I might buy some of the skew bridges to fill the empty space at the top right.

Any expansion with fewer than 6 tiles I put together into the promos box. I got La Porxada on ebay, and printed The Russian tiles myself.

I'm impressed that the artbin holds everything comfortably - its almost bursting at the seams, but inside there's still room for several more tiles should there ever be any more printed in the original art. I would have liked enough room to be able to include a consolidated rulebook - something like the CAR if it was stripped down to include only the rules.

Finally, I'd like to say a big thanks to Whaleyland for sending over his files. Hopefully he likes what I've done with them  :)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3234.0
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:04:11 AM by ooh_jim »

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Finished some new tuckboxes.. and my collection!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 08:36:25 AM »
Looks great Jim!  Merit for the hard work.  Your tuck boxes and Russian tIles look great!

I will say I am not 100% happy with my teal shirts for cloth in Traders and Builders, but I am not sure I'd prefer your chips.  To be honest, I am not sure there is a really good wooden piece for cloth.  I rather wish they went with beef, swords, or something else that works well with wood bits.

I am really sorry I didn't think to order castle walls.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:58:02 PM »
Well done on your storage solution Jim, and thanks for the photos. +1 merit from me also. :(y)

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »
Great job,  ooh_jim! Your collection really looks fantastic!

Would you mind telling me where you got the original files for the tuck boxes from? I know, I saw them somewhere here before, but can't remember where anymore. Or maybe you even want to share the files for your awesome tuckbox creations with us?  ^-^
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
So Whaleyland originally posted his first batch of tuckboxes here http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=731.0; I think the link to the pdf file is probably dead by now, but I'm sure he still has a copy if you ask him.

Unfortunately, when he sent over the original, editable file, a little bit of the formatting went wonky due to the fact I didn't have the fonts that he used installed - as a result, the file I've got will need quite a bit of work to get it back to the quality of Derek's original release, so if its the tuckboxes that he designed you're after, I'm afraid I'm not much help there.

However, I was able to use the file he sent to create the tuckboxes for the expansions that have been released in the meantime (River 3, BB5 version of Wheel of Fortune, Small Promo Collection, Cathedrals in Germany, Castles in Germany, Cathedrals in Belgium & The Netherlands; I've also made a split version of Count King & Robber as shown in the photos above). I'll try and post a link to those some time tomorrow.

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:58:02 PM »
ooh_jim, thank you for the information! I already wrote whaleyland. I wondered, why I haven't downloaded the boxes back then, but then noticed the file size and suddenly everything was clear to me. :D I'm glad that today, I don't have to mind downloading big files anymore.

Also thanks for the in detail explanation of what you did with the boxes. I compared the photo of your collection and the one of whaleyland and noticed some things: You also created a big gray box for the scoring tiles and the two for the Haflings, didn't you? And then I saw, that you added a grey box for the Windroses II.

One thing I don't understand: Did you change the colour of the Corn Circle box? It is so much darker than on whaleyland's picture.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 12:43:42 AM »
great!
I love the crown and the hat tokens and I really love the rats for the plague! can I ask you where did you buy them?

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 03:18:53 AM »
ooh_jim, thank you for the information! I already wrote whaleyland. I wondered, why I haven't downloaded the boxes back then, but then noticed the file size and suddenly everything was clear to me. :D I'm glad that today, I don't have to mind downloading big files anymore.

Also thanks for the in detail explanation of what you did with the boxes. I compared the photo of your collection and the one of whaleyland and noticed some things: You also created a big gray box for the scoring tiles and the two for the Haflings, didn't you? And then I saw, that you added a grey box for the Windroses II.

One thing I don't understand: Did you change the colour of the Corn Circle box? It is so much darker than on whaleyland's picture.

Yep. The scoring/starting tiles box is new - I bought a bunch of scoring tiles from cundco (and think I lost a few too), so that box was tailored to my exact number of those tiles. I'll make one up for the base game tiles, and one to hold further scoring tiles.

The Windroses II and the Haflings boxes were included in the file that Whaleyland sent me, but I guess he never got round to including them in an updated release. Same for the Castles in Germany (I added the watermark), and Monasteries in Belgium and The Netherlands (changed from 'Monasteries in the Low Countries'). I also changed the colour of one or two of these boxes just to experiment. When I tried the halflings boxes, I found the tops of the tiles were sticking out slightly, so I've made those boxes slightly bigger to accommodate.

The colour difference in the crop circles II is probably just down to the difference in camera/printer - I printed that off from the original release a while back.

Edit: so, if Whaleyland has no objections, I'll put together a pdf for

*River 3
*BB5 version of Wheel of Fortune
*Small Promo Collection
*Cathedrals in Germany
*Castles in Germany
*Cathedrals in Belgium & The Netherlands
*Split version of Count King & Robber
*Monasteries in Belgium and the Netherlands
*Windroses I
*Windroses II
*Halflings I
*Halflings II
*Starting & Scoring Tiles
*Further Scoring Tiles (will hold 6)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 03:24:06 AM by ooh_jim »

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 04:47:19 AM »
great!
I love the crown and the hat tokens and I really love the rats for the plague! can I ask you where did you buy them?

King's Crown: https://www.spielematerial.de/en/wooden-crown.html
Robber's Cap (I had to paint it green): https://www.spielematerial.de/de/schiff-kingdom-builder.html
Rats: https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=Rat

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 03:24:09 PM »
ooh_jim, your tuck boxes look great! If possible, could you send me your source file for them? A bit of an exchange, if you will. I like your idea of making the start tile/score tiles box grey. I hadn't thought of that. I also like that you kept my Corn Circles, Tunnels & Plague box. Granted I feel equally strong that all of the Pentagon-Spielbox tiles should be together, but I could not ignore Rio Grandes unreleased expansion idea. It was just too good to miss. I'm sad that you didn't print out my ridiculously small The School box – such a fun little thing. I'm planning a similarly-sized box for Labyrinth (with both tiles) and slightly larger for Darmstadt. My only (other) question(s): where are the rest of your Wheel of Fortune tiles? (Or do you only have the BB5 version?) Those extra tiles would help fill up some of your remaining space. I think the only old-art thing I'm missing are the two new Russian tiles.

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 03:16:18 AM »
Of course. There are a few little edits left to do, but I'll send you a copy once it's sorted.

Yeah, it's a shame they never got around to releasing those three as a combined expansion. I was fortunate enough to get them all at a reasonable price, but I know they're some of the hardest to get hold of.

I used the box for the school before I printed my batch, just a bit too fiddly for me!

And yes, I only have the BB5 version of Wheel of Fortune. I wouldn't mind a copy of the original, but I'm not bothered about it enough to splash out.

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 09:42:43 AM »
Here's the link to the pdf of my tuckboxes, and the ones Whaleyland didn't include in his last release.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4SM1-y3YepiV1BVX3NiMElGV1E

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 10:07:56 AM »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've recently made some tuckboxes for the pnp expansions (City Gates, Easter in Carcassonne & The Fortune Teller) - Easter in Carcassone is two tiles wide as it fits nicely behind my box for the German Castles.

I thought I'd post the link here so both links are together:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CAm3wsXps8FncgL_eSadZwit-r6OTYv-/view?usp=sharing

I may well take some updated pics of my collection in a few days so you can see how they look printed.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 01:18:35 PM »
Nice collection! I'm not entirely sure how your box seems to have more space in it than mine when we're using identical ArtBin cases, and you have a lot more wooden bits than I do. What are you using for tunnels?

I'm planning to make myself a set of Russian promo tiles in the future as well. I've given up trying to get them the usual way.

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2022, 01:49:18 PM »
And here's the updated collection

With the new boxes

And with Easter in Carcassonne, I've added in another figure

The other update I've made is that I've made a bunch of tunnel tokens to match all of the player colours

The tunnel tokens came out ok. I used a hollow punch to cut through some spare tiles I had, and printed the designs onto some sticker paper for the front. The punch was only pretty cheap so it wasn't amazing, took several attempts to get enough circles that weren't bent in two. Still, I think that's now all of the official CI content with 17 fully playable colours. I just need a bag of Mini Eggs now...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Get the Abbott back when a Cloister is finished?

Started by IrrationalDesign

8 Replies
Last post December 23, 2017, 06:58:15 AM
by IrrationalDesign
smiley
WTS multiple C1 expansions and some meeples and accessories

Started by corinthiens13

11 Replies
Last post December 06, 2021, 01:38:55 AM
by corinthiens13
xx
WTT: Some rarities for Cult, Siege & Creativity and Spiel '14 Tile