Author Topic: Back to the basics - scoring roads and cities  (Read 4302 times)

Offline SxN

• Duke
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Back to the basics - scoring roads and cities
« on: January 02, 2021, 04:49:32 PM »
As a new :yellow-meeple: that I am, I started to explore the world of Carcassonne. This way, I learnt of the existence of a CAR. "Hooray", I said to myself, and, like troubadours, built myself a road to go to the city hosting it as a precious treasure. Actually, I found it with the help of the CarF (learning the lingo on the go :) ).

After this adventure, I wanted to score myself, but... version 7.4 of S-CAR (which I believe is the latest and the greatest) left me confused  ???... It states on the top of page 14, with an illustrated example, that for roads I shall award myself road segments, for a total of four points in the square tile placement provided, and three for the vertical one. Cool! So, I played it wrong all along (awarding points for tiles instead), but new meeples are supposed to learn, right?

However, on page 16 knights get scored 8 points for a square configuration, counting tiles, not city fragments. Hmmm...

Was curious and checked the history: the same scoring is stated in version 4.0. This seems to have some deep roots :)

For consistency, shouldn't same rule apply to both roads and cities?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4961.0

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
Re: Back to the basics - scoring roads and cities
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 05:10:28 PM »
"When scoring a road, each tile of that road grants you 1 point." https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Base_game#3._Scoring_a_road. Use WikiCarpedia. CAR is outdated.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 06:18:40 PM by Carcassonne93 »
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 47,200+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 11:11:02 PM »
"When scoring a road, each tile of that road grants you 1 point." https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Base_game#3._Scoring_a_road. Use WikiCarpedia. CAR is outdated.

Exactly, you should use https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page , there you can find the rules for every expansion, as well as:

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 01:38:32 AM »
For consistency, shouldn't same rule apply to both roads and cities?

This rule applies to both cities and roads, even when adding extra elements in some expansions that can complicate the topology of the feature. Find below some examples combining some expansions so show you some extreme cases. (Don't be afraid  >:D)

>> Cities

You may have tiles contributing more than once to the same city with tiles with several city segments or city overpasses.

Example 1: This city has 8 tiles, no matter that some tiles contribute twice to the feature. So Yellow scores 20 points ( (8 tiles + 2 coats of arms ) x 2 points = 10 x 2 = 20 points)

>> Roads

You may have tiles contributing more than one to the same road (loops) or when dealing with bridges (printed or wooden) or tunnels.   

Example 2: This picture shows two roads networks using tunnels and bridges mainly. The road occupied by Red (with blue tunnel tokens) has 5 tiles (it is worth 5 points). The road shared by Blue and Yellow (with red and yellow tunnel tokens) has 9 tiles (it is worth 9 points). You may see tiles contributing twice with printed roads and tunnel entrances or wooden bridges, but they are counted once. 

Exception for roads

However, there is only one exception: a road ending several times at a German cathedral. But this is another story if you haven't got that far in your quest.  ;)

Example 3: The road occupied by Blue has 6 tiles. Note that it ends twice at the German cathedral occupied by Red. When scoring the road, the two road segments on the German cathedral will be counted separately, so it would be like scoring a 7-tile road instead of a 6-tile road. If you want to check how to score this case, check here: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4911.msg73103#msg73103 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:42:20 AM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Brickmaster92

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
  • CARCASSONNEEEEE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 07:17:51 AM »
The German Cathedrals mini-expansion being the only exception I'm aware of where the rules specifically state that if a road loops around and uses two of the road segments on the Cathedral tile itself, you count both segments, i.e. the tile twice. Correct me if I'm wrong there, Meepledrone!  :black1-meeple:

[EDIT] Just finished actually reading the end of your post... thorough as ever, sir!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 07:20:22 AM by Brickmaster92 »
Expansion in process: Forest Fire (C2), Gendarme (C2)
Variants in Process: Castle Walls, Gateway, The Chevalier

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 07:31:12 AM »
It is good also to mention that Inn do not stack. So road with two ins has same points as road with one.

Same for Expansion 1. Cathedrals.

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline SxN

• Duke
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 08:24:30 AM »
Wasn't aware that my travel guide is the Wiki on my meeplish smartphone, rather than the CAR tomes in my backpack, but now I know :)

I thank you all for your advice. It simply makes sense!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 08:34:44 AM »
The German Cathedrals mini-expansion being the only exception I'm aware of where the rules specifically state that if a road loops around and uses two of the road segments on the Cathedral tile itself, you count both segments, i.e. the tile twice. Correct me if I'm wrong there, Meepledrone!  :black1-meeple:

[EDIT] Just finished actually reading the end of your post... thorough as ever, sir!  ;D

Thanks! I tried my best ;D

It is good also to mention that Inn do not stack. So road with two ins has same points as road with one.

Same for Expansion 1. Cathedrals.

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Absolutely. When scoring roads:
- Inns do not stack: You get +1 point per tile (or road segment on a German cathedral tile) no matter the road has 1 inn or more.
- German cathedrals do not stack: You get +1 point per tile (or road segment on a German cathedral tile) no matter the road ends at 1 German cathedrals (even multiple times) or more.
- The same German castle does not stack: Each German castle provides a 3-point bonus to a road no matter how many legs of the road end at the castle. If a road ends at 2 different German castles, for example, you would get a bonus for the road of 3 points x 2 castles = 6 points.

For the sake of completeness, when scoring cities:
- Cathedrals (from I&C) do not stack: You get +1 point per tile and coat of arms no matter the city has 1 cathedral or more.
- Sieges (from Cathars / Cult, Siege & Creativity / Besiegers) do not stack: You get +1 point per tile and coat of arms no matter the city has 1 siege or more.
- German castles can only contribute once to a city, so there is no issues with stacking in this case. Each of them provide a 3-point bonus to the city.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:25:36 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 08:53:22 AM »
Wasn't aware that my travel guide is the Wiki on my meeplish smartphone, rather than the CAR tomes in my backpack, but now I know :)

I thank you all for your advice. It simply makes sense!

Except the Glossary, still work in progress, you will find the rest of the info in the CAR available at WICA, updated for C1 and C2 since the last version of the CAR v7.4 (from 5/2015). The C1 pages show a snapshot of the rules plus the clarifications provided for them since the last version of the CAR. The C2 pages include the same clarifications but taking into consideration any rule changes introduced in C2, for example:
* Exp. 5: The movement of the wagon
* Exp. 6: The redeployment of meeples from Carcassonne at the end of the game
* Exp. 8: The placement of the fairy in a castle
* Halflings: The scoring monasteries (applied also to analogous features)

A number of rules have changed through time (and some were mistranslated from German), as you can see here. This is good material for a sleepless night:  ;)
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Summary_of_Rule_Sets_%26_Changes

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
plague source tile and completion of cities and roads

Started by drone2

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2017, 08:33:40 AM
by dirk2112
question
Completing Roads and Cities that have not got any pieces in

Started by Nerdio

5 Replies
Last post January 03, 2016, 03:13:08 AM
by Nerdio
xx
Scoring Cities with Mayors and Cathedrals (involves two expansions)

Started by JGreystone

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2016, 01:44:41 PM
by Rosco
clip
Scoring quiz with roads

Started by Meepledrone

69 Replies
Last post August 28, 2019, 02:53:20 PM
by Meepledrone
clip
Scoring quiz with roads (summer tutti frutti)

Started by Meepledrone

17 Replies
Last post November 01, 2021, 08:11:40 AM
by Meepledrone