Author Topic: B, C and B - rules question for Bridge placement  (Read 3491 times)

Offline JaelynRae

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
B, C and B - rules question for Bridge placement
« on: November 26, 2014, 03:56:28 AM »
My family and I are Carcassonne newbies (just purchased the new basic and several expansions) and ran into something while playing tonight that we cannot find explained anywhere in the rules or CAR, and could not reach an agreement on.  For the others that popped up before finding the CAR, we were able to come to a general agreement, so this stalemate was frustrating! 

We were playing with the new Carcassonne basic & the BCB expansion - our BCB was by ZMG.

I quickly photoshopped the pieces of the board in question to give you a visual.  It came down to the last tile.  Our son wanted to use it to close a small city to max out his possible points.  Since the opposite end of the city was a road, he used a bridge on an adjacent piece (Tile 3) to allow the placement.  My hubby agreed this was acceptable.  His reasoning was the bridge can be used anywhere - as long as both ends of the tile where the bridge is used are on a farm - irregardless of any pieces that may already exist on the other side of the end of the bridge.

I argued that because the bridge acts as a road piece and because the road adjacent to where the bridge would end (Tile 4) was already in place, then in order to use the bridge "Tile 4" would either need to have a connecting road to continue on or the space would need to be empty.  That because a bridge acts like a road, you cannot run it into a farm after the bridge - because doing so would negate the original reason to use the bridge.  For example you could not connect Tile 2 directly to Tile 4, so you should likewise not be able to do so using a bridge in between.  I further pointed out that the example of connecting multiple bridges was used when the 2nd bridge was added to a newly connected tile, thus continuing a bridge already in place.

I hope that makes sense and I hope you can provide some clarification.  I apologize in advance if the answer to this is completely obvious and self-explanatory to seasoned players.  I am choosing to shamelessly hide behind the old adage "there are no stupid questions except those not asked".  ;)

PS:  The verification questions to register and to post are not instantly known to those that are brand new to Carcassonne!  I bet you have lost a few members/followers who were seeking answers but didnt want to bother trying to find the answers to these first.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1294.0
This Carcassonne "newbie" had to cheat and use Google to get the answers to the registration questions!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: B, C and B - rules question for Bridge placement
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 04:13:01 AM »
Hi JaelynRae, welcome to the forums!  :)

I'd say that this certainly isn't valid as the bridge leads directly into the field of tile 4. The road needs an ending, it can't just disappear as it does in this example!

If your son had two bridges, I think it would be allowable to use both of them so that the road is extended over tiles 3 and 4.

Hope this helps!

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 04:15:53 AM »
I think there is one sentence in the rules that gives us a hint:

A bridge acts as a road tile and can extend a road over an adjacent tile.

If a bridge acts as a road tile you have to place it adjacent to roads, you can extend a road over a field, a city, another road or a cloister, but you mustn't place a bridge adjacent to a field, because the tile with the bridge on it acts as if it has two road ends.

In addition to placing a tile and a follower as normal, a player may also build 1 bridge.
You may only place one bridge, not two in one turn ...

Offline JaelynRae

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 04:42:56 AM »
Thanks!  I thought that was the case but I was "outvoted" as to how the rules where interpreted.  Our son didn't win so it didn't really matter in the end, but I thought it might be good to get clarification. 

There should be a footnote added to future CAR versions that specify when placing a bridge on an adjacent tile (Tile 3), it must connect with a road should there be a 2nd adjacent tile (Tile 4) already in place...though I cannot think of how that would even be possible because if that was the case then Tile 3 and Tile 4 would not work, one being a farm and one being a road.  Perhaps a footnote stating that a bridge can only be played on an adjacent tile (Tile 3) if the space for Tile 4 is empty.  Then clarify that any tiles added to the space for Tile 4 would have to continue/end the road via a playable tile or a tile with another bridge - as is provided as an example in the rules.  Unfortunately it doesn't specify which bridge has to be placed first which allowed for the confusion in the first place. 

Both my hubby and son argued that the rules only talk about the actual placement of the bridge (i.e. 2 farm ends), not any other surrounding tiles after the bridge.  I also pointed out that only 1 bridge could be used per turn, but that point was deemed irrelevant at the time.  I tried several times to explain that the ONLY way to play that particular tile/bridge combo was if the 2nd adjacent (Tile 4) spot was empty - the fact that adding a second bridge to the currently placed Tile 4 would work if it had been played later was irrelevant as it had already been played.

At any rate...I love being right!   :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:51:36 AM by JaelynRae, Reason: To try and make a bit more sense :) »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Is this bridge placement legal? (+ another question about castles and fields)

Started by ac1982

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2022, 11:23:56 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Another Bridge Question

Started by kothmann

6 Replies
Last post December 26, 2021, 08:46:49 AM
by NGC 54
xx
Really ??? Zman games doesn't know basic tile placement rules !!!

Started by corinthiens13

21 Replies
Last post April 26, 2021, 07:26:18 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
bridge castle and bazaar new edition

Started by aenima

4 Replies
Last post November 27, 2017, 11:25:10 PM
by aenima
exclamation
4.1.1 (and 4.1.0) - Barn/Pig placement confusion bug