Author Topic: Princess & Dragon League: Dragons  (Read 39687 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Princess & Dragon League: Dragons
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:07:03 AM »
Dragons:
  • aenima
  • danisthirty
  • Hounk
  • jma03
  • Merlin_89
  • ny1050220
  • quevy
  • Rosco
  • Valheru

Please read the following tournament notes/ guidance/ rules before continuing:

1. Players have already been divided into three different groups ("Dragons", "Princesses" and "Fairies"). Each player will play one game of Carcassonne against every other player in their group individually via a series of 2-player/ head-to-head games. The winner of each game will be awarded two league points whereas the loser gets nothing. If the game is tied, both players receive one league point each.

2. Players in each group will be ranked according to the number of league points they have scored. PD (Points Differential) will be used as an initial tie-breaker if there is no clear winner based on league points alone, and total combined score (from all games) will be used as a second tie-breaker if necessary. Your PD is calculated by taking the total number of points scored by you and subtracting the total number of points scored against you (combined across all games).

3. Games will be played online through the latest stable version of JCloisterZone (currently 3.4.2). Please ensure you have downloaded this and are familiar with its controls and features before the competition begins. It is also recommended that you have played at least one practice game against a live opponent (as opposed to a dead one) in order to identify and resolve any technical problems before your first game.

4. JCloisterZone includes a number of artificial aids such as farm hints, projected scores and even tile-counting assistance. I can't stop you from using any of these, and won't know if you do, but I do urge you to play under "exam conditions" as far as possible so that you're relying purely on your own wits, knowledge and experience rather than using anything else to help you. I know it's a competition and we all want to win, but let's keep it fair, fun and friendly as far as possible...

5. Each game will include the basic tiles plus the Princess & Dragon expansion only (no other expansions please). This is 102 tiles including the start tile, so 101 tiles will be shuffled and randomly drawn for you and your opponent in turn. The starting player should be chosen at random through JCZ by selecting the “Randomize seating order” checkbox on the pre-game screen.

6. If any unexpected behaviour occurs during your game (for example if you think you have discovered a bug within JCloisterZone which may have altered the course of the game for you), please consult with your opponent and the CAR/ anyone else who happens to be in the chat room at the time to determine whether it appears to be a genuine bug. If it is, please save your game and post details of the bug along with anything else relating to how it came about on the forums. If however, you and your opponent are both happy to continue with your game despite the bug then feel free to do so, but don’t forget to mention the bug afterwards no matter how minor it may have seemed!

7. Please post a screenshot of your game, including final scores and score breakdown, back to your group thread as soon as your game is complete. It's always interesting to hear what happened during the game too, so please feel free to post any thoughts/ comments at the same time if you wish. If you're not sure how to capture/ post screenshots, please ask on the forums and either myself or someone else will explain how to do this (we're a friendly bunch!)

8. It is the players responsibility to liaise with their fellow group-members in order to find a mutually convenient time to play their game. This is expected to be done predominantly through Private Messages but feel free to use your group thread (here) too if this is easier. Please do keep any appointments you make, or at least give your opponent as much notice as possible if something occurs which prevents you from playing at the agreed time.

9. Each of the 3 initial groups contains 9 players so the first stage of the competition will end when every player (all 27 of us) has played 8 games. At this point, the pool will split into 9 groups of 3 depending on finishing position in the initial groups. So, the top-ranked Dragon, Princess and Fairy will form group D1, and those who came second in each group will form group D2. The same will be true for groups D3 to D9.

10. Play in groups D1 to D9 will constitute the second stage of the competition which will run in the same way as the first except with more groups and fewer people per group. League points, PD and total score will be reset at this point (but remembered for overall stats) so that no single player in any group has any kind of advantage. Finishing positions in groups at the second stage will determine overall rank: 1st=D1-1, 2nd=D1-2, 3rd=D1-3, 4th=D2-1, 5th=D2-2, ..., 23rd=D8-2, 24th=D8-3, 25th=D9-1, 26th=D9-2, 27th=D9-3.

Finally, you may find the following links helpful: Carcassonne Central IRC Chat, JCloisterZone, and this.

The competition is now on! Good luck everyone... :) :(y)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2360.0

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Princess & Dragon League: Dragons
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 11:11:38 AM »
First (?) Dragon Group game:

Valheru vs. Hounk
119:153

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 11:19:56 AM »
So, Hounk and I finished our first tournament game. Attached, you can find the screen of the game.

Score was:
Hounk 153
Valheru 119

Again made some basic errors and lost a big farmbattle, dragon punished me hard twice but in the end it was a well deserved victory for Hounk. He focussed a lot on completing big and small roads and that is something that nullified my bigger score in completing cities. Cloisters almost always came at the wrong time or were used for other purposes so that explains the low score. 

My final tile was a princess and I was able to remove Hounk from the big city, otherwise the loss would have been greater than that.

Has anyone else of you noticed that playing online is probably more frustrating than playing in real life? The amount of curse words I use in an online game is probably a world record or something. Could be me alone of course..

As I said before, good luck with the rest of the tournament Hounk, GGWP. As for me, up to the next battles and hopefully I can grab a win or two in the process.
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 12:21:03 PM »
Nice write-up Valheru. There's a long way to go in the tournament so I'm sure there will be better times ahead for you! I played a friendly game against Hounk today and he beat me quite easily, so I know the feeling :)

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »
Nice write-up Valheru. There's a long way to go in the tournament so I'm sure there will be better times ahead for you! I played a friendly game against Hounk today and he beat me quite easily, so I know the feeling :)

Apparently not in the following game, but thanks for the positive words.

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 03:02:28 PM »
Game 2 against Rosco.

Rosco: 212
Valheru: 158

Again another heavyweight in the group. Got knocked down by that powerviolence and never got up again. Lost a major city (40p) and it went downhill from that point on. Countered everything I threw at him. Although the dragon was a factor of annoyance, as he (or she?) is every game but that wasn't the biggest issue. Only part I won in, was the roadgame but that's not enough ofcourse.

Positive point is I at least got to share the big farm with Rosco, so that's +1 for my farmgame (okay, +1/2  O0 ) but hey, we have to stay positive. Up to the next and hopefully some points. Lessons have been learned, I tell you that.

Good luck with the next games Rosco, although I'm pretty sure you won't even need that luck  ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:13:42 PM by Valheru »

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 03:59:36 PM »
jma03 vs. Hounk
154:53

Jacobo really crushed me in this one. I put to much resources in the main farm, which in the end was anyway less then 1/3 of the points, I would have needed. Jacobo blocked me very good on that and scored constantly on other features. Forgot the fairy as well on some occasion, which cost me some points. I only was able to tie the farm for most of the game, and he eventually outwon it a few tiles to the end.

Very good game by jma03, less good by me. But it was still fun. Shouldn't drink any wine before important league games and stay more focused next time.

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »

Shouldn't drink any wine before important league games and stay more focused next time.

hahahahaha :)) :)) :))
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 04:04:27 PM »
Hounk, can you start drinking earlier next time?  ;D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 10:13:22 PM »

Ha ha ha! What's your favourite wine Hounk? Please don't feel too suspicious if a bottle of it arrives on your doorstep on the day we're due to play our game! :D

Well done to Hounk, Rosco and jma03 on your wins so far. And well done to Valheru too, you are to be commended for your enthusiasm! :(y)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 03:09:18 AM »
I was actually just relaxing a little bit with some wine while watching your game with Rosco, when suddenly Jacobo arrived, and I got an option to play, I was not expecting anymore.

Be aware, that this is no "excuse" for the loss, and Jacobo would have outplayed me on this game, nevertheless. I just noticed, that I kept forgetting moving the fairy on turns, I didn't move any other wood, while he had her with him. So that indicates for me, that I was not as focused, as I would normally be, and I blame it to the wine. But with 101 points difference, the outcome would have been pretty much the same, even when absolute sober.

Offline jma03

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 04:22:49 AM »

It was a pretty tough game.
I had the ability to block two meeples to hounk , to match the main farm.
the 101 -point margin does not reflect much slope, because until the last moment I could get my hands on the whole farm .
I would like to do more starting summaries , but my English and the translator google certain words can be misinterpreted .
 :-X

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 04:54:50 AM »
In the end, you outwon the farm, because you were able to block three of my farmers, while I was only able to do that with two of yours. But this was not game deciding. Even, if I would have got the farm for my own, you would have won by 41 points.

The first 1/3 of the game was pretty balanced, but then you started slowly to make more and more points, particularly on cities, while I was relatively week on meeple supply and could not compete with that. I got quite a lot of CFFF and CCFF splitter tiles in the beginning, so most of my cities had been for 4 points. This encouraged me to go for the field as well quite early, probably to early, especially since I was not able to close the field on the outside, and you had enough supply to fight back.

For quite a long time, one of my monks was sitting on an 8 point cloister (got eaten by dragon later in the game, too late to be precise), and a thief on a road, which finally did give me 9 points. Both in the bottom centre of the picture, one close to the other. I think, if this two had been freed earlier, or never been placed, I would have got a chance to get back into the game.

Offline jma03

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 06:28:54 AM »
true¡¡¡¡
 :(y)

this afternoon if there is someone available for a league game will be ready
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:34:22 AM by jma03 »

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »
Is everyone else in Europe? I'm in EST, and it's now noon here. I believe the forum is 3 hours after me, if that helps.
I'm usually free after 7pm local time and I guess that's not very helpful in arranging a game with those who are in Europe. I can also do any time between 9am and 1am at weekends. This Sunday is not clear yet, as I might need to drop off my housemate at the airport. When I know more, I'll post.
So, let me know if anyone finds a time, and especially if anyone is in the Americas.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Must or may - The Princess (The Princess and The Dragon)

Started by Windekind

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2019, 04:20:10 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
The Dragons' Meal plan - What can the Dragon eat?

Started by kettlefish

36 Replies
Last post December 02, 2020, 07:00:40 AM
by Kaleostro
exclamation
Expansion League #4: The Princess & The Dragon - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by danisthirty

159 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 12:18:39 PM
by Halfling
clip
Princess & Dragon League: Groups D1 - D9

Started by kettlefish

127 Replies
Last post May 09, 2016, 05:27:43 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Princess & Dragon League: Fairies