Author Topic: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)  (Read 275302 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2016, 06:18:29 AM »
To Biergarten or not to Biergarten.  that's my current question

Now look what you've gone and done.  >:(

Some quick thoughts:

This looks pretty fun and it's only $15 ($21 with worldwide shipping, or free shipping in the U.S.). The immortalised backer idea (where for $70 you're drawn into the game) is fantastic and I would be super tempted to do this if they weren't all sold already. I might start watching this like crazy to see if someone pulls out and another one becomes available...

It seems like the perfect game to take to the pub and play with a bunch of people. Unfortunately it only supports 4 players but the next stretch goal adds a 5th.

Another small issue is packaging. They took Radho's idea of a more mobile scoreboard but they're not decreasing the box size, which is half the point of the mobile scoreboard. The following stretch goal adds a canvas bag but that's not really perfect for cards and it's still $10k away.

So, I'm considering backing it.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2016, 06:22:17 AM »
I may be an immortalized backer already, I believe I can add more to include additional people... perhaps we can play Carcassonne together :)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2016, 06:31:30 AM »
I may be an immortalized backer already, I believe I can add more to include additional people... perhaps we can play Carcassonne together :)

That would be so great to be drawn in playing Carcassonne. With old artwork and the 70-point scoreboard, naturally.

So wait, you're already an immortalised backer and you're considering pulling out? If that's true and you do pull out, let me know and if I decide to go for it, we can try to time it so I can grab your spot. I'd have to draw my wife in too so it would be $95, which is a lot but I think it's super cool and a real example of what something like KS can be.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2016, 06:40:29 AM »
I'm thinking about it - so will let you know - I just spent....i dont want to say how much... on 7th Continent.

I was thinking if you wanted to send me $25 - I could increase my pledge and ask the creator to draw us playing Carcassonne together.  I'm not sure if there's a limit on people but I could invite both our wives and be immortalized in a 4-player game :)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2016, 06:58:45 AM »
I'm thinking about it - so will let you know - I just spent....i dont want to say how much... on 7th Continent.

I was thinking if you wanted to send me $25 - I could increase my pledge and ask the creator to draw us playing Carcassonne together.  I'm not sure if there's a limit on people but I could invite both our wives and be immortalized in a 4-player game :)

It looks like there is a limit of 2, at least for the $25 extra (I don't know if you can add more people for $25 more per person, since it does say you can add kids for $10 per kid). Plus my wife doesn't play Carcassonne, and in any case I'm sure he'd much rather draw us playing Biergarten than Carcassonne :) But yeah, that's not a bad idea, thanks for the offer! It finishes on Wednesday morning our time, so let's liaise on Tuesday afternoon/evening when you decide what you want to do.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2016, 04:11:52 PM »
I backed Tiny Epic Western but the more I looked at it the more I thought it wasn't for me so I dropped it. I don't have the right group for it and my wife wouldn't enjoy it at all.

I did get onto a new one to back this week, Mythos Tales. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/126100/mythos-tales

I had the original print and play version, Arkham Investigator and found that enjoyable. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/138963/arkham-investigator

I'm also a sucker for the Cthulhu theme with Elder Sign and Eldritch Horror being big favourites.
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline supertopix

• Count
  • Merit: 3
  • I have updated my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2016, 03:43:53 PM »

EPIC FAILURES
From the same creators, UP FRONT the card game & Airborne In Your Pocket Board Game - Unfulfilled and creators left the country. You can find all the gory details on BGG  :(n) :(n)
I'm on the same boat! Now I'm waiting for Mare Nostrum.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2016, 06:02:56 AM »
@jungleboy - I've convinced Dan he wanted to join the Biergarten game - which ends in 15hrs.  So we'll be immortalized playing Carcassonne while drinking strong beer somewhere in Germany - it sounds like Essen already.  Do you know what you'll be doing with your pledge?  You're welcome to join our game; perhaps with someone else from the forum?

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2016, 06:06:46 AM »
I'm pretty much in on Biergarten. Seems like one for the wife to enjoy.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2016, 06:19:48 AM »
@jungleboy - I've convinced Dan he wanted to join the Biergarten game - which ends in 15hrs.  So we'll be immortalized playing Carcassonne while drinking strong beer somewhere in Germany - it sounds like Essen already. 

That'll be amazing, great stuff! What's extra cool about it obviously is that you guys will be playing Carcassonne in my version of the game too :)

Do you know what you'll be doing with your pledge? You're welcome to join our game; perhaps with someone else from the forum?

Thanks for the offer, a four-person game would be great! But in order to get the wife on board with this pledge I've decided to be nice and include her in it (and she's not a Carcassonne fan, but she will be a Biergarten fan!). So we'll probably be at a table with our backpacks nearby, poring over a map, since this pretty much represents our lives together. I'm hoping to shoot the photo tonight.

Meanwhile the next stretch goal (5 player support with 6 extra cards) is very close now, so it looks like it'll get done, which is great.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2016, 06:42:49 AM »
Hopefully, I'll be in the lead ;)

Great to be hearing you'll be playing Biergarten with your wife - that's really meta!  A the game in the game! :(y) :(y)  I look forward to spotting you.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2016, 10:18:29 AM »
Great to be hearing you'll be playing Biergarten with your wife - that's really meta!  A the game in the game! :(y) :(y)  I look forward to spotting you.

Actually we'll just be looking at a map or guidebook, not playing Biergarten. But that would be cool too :)

Here's the introduction video for Biergarten in case anyone else might be interested in backing it:

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/projects/2248871/video-624762-h264_high.mp4

And the Kickstarter link.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2016, 04:10:15 AM »
I'm not a big zombie theme fan but this International reprint of a already existing Japanese game with a full 3D scenario seems quite nice.
Zombie Tower 3D - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cosaic/zombie-tower-3d?ref=nav_search

In the meantime Villages of Valeria campaing is going really well and considering that a solo play variant got unlocked as a strech goal I might be in on this one.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2016, 04:40:13 AM »
In the meantime Villages of Valeria campaing is going really well and considering that a solo play variant got unlocked as a strech goal I might be in on this one.

It's almost 1000% funded! And there are tons and tons of stretch goals already achieved, so yeah, it's going great. The solo variant is really intriguing too.

I haven't backed it yet and I'm still thinking about it. The thing is, I'm not into resources as a game mechanism. I remember when I first started playing Carcassonne, I heard that Carcassonne and Catan were the two great Euro gateway games. And I loved Carcassonne before I ever played it based on the name and the art, and then even more once I started playing it. And then when I played Catan for the first time, I didn't like it and I thought to myself: none of the things that I love about Carcassonne are in Catan. So this got me off on the wrong foot with resources. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but I often use the words intuitive or unintuitive to describe games, and I think resource-based games are unintuitive, if that's the right word. If you get 3 bricks and 1 coal and 2 whatevers, then you can trade them in for one road or house or whatever it is - it all just seems so fake and unnatural to me unlike the simplicity of Carcassonne, which just makes so much sense.

So, all of this is a long-winded way of saying that I'm a bit wary of resource games. The cards in Villages of Valeria look beautiful -- except they have damn resources all over them that spoil the artwork!!  >:D Having said that, I did like Carcassonne: South Seas when I played with Dan and Decar last week, and that's a resource-collection game, so who knows?

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2016, 04:44:02 AM »
Remember me never to play Monopoly with you. :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Keep track of your Carcassonne collection in your forum profile

Started by Scott

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2022, 03:31:35 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Watch It Played - Carcassonne

Started by Decar

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 08:31:36 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
Caral, a new game by KJW on Kickstarter

Started by Meepledrone

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2021, 03:25:38 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Travel Pack Contest - The Kickstarter Kicker

Started by Decar

17 Replies
Last post February 08, 2017, 12:12:32 AM
by Decar
xx
Kickstarter project: Carcassone collection box?

Started by Guesclin

35 Replies
Last post February 15, 2015, 02:41:55 PM
by Whaleyland