Author Topic: Collaborative Carcassonne  (Read 15043 times)

Offline cletus81

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • updated profile!
    • View Profile
Re: Collaborative Carcassonne
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2018, 08:06:06 AM »
Either option 1 or Decar's option 4. I will want to glom into the road of the opponent I fear most. Too early for farming in my opinion.
I do agree with you, those two options are pretty much equivalent.

Offline oosie

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 2
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2018, 11:25:31 AM »
By far most of my Carcassonne games have been one-on-one games and mostly against the same opponent. In that regard we've always been a fan of an early farmer (option 2) and an aggressive play style (option 3). However, I'm not sure due to the lack of experience in 4 player games if that's a good approach. I'd be content with option 1 and 4 as well. They are equally good.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
On detailed reflection, I don't think the south option is as good.  It's easier for another player to place an awkward city and possibly trap a meeple (or two).

I feel the North approach leaves a little more room to move.

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
Having taken a good look at my solution, which relies heavily on Red being into self-preservation, I had not considered the real possibility of him getting a FFFF cloister, which would mean that we would almost certainly get trapped by one of the other players by simply getting a FFRR aimed at the city. I therefore think that option 1 is the way to go.

Offline Hproctor1478

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2018, 12:42:00 PM »
I think option 1 is our best way to go.  I think it’s too soon to start farming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2018, 12:55:16 PM »
Finally, I will know what is going on in Decar's head.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2018, 01:39:30 PM »
Finally, I will know what is going on in Decar's head.

Just what i wanted you to think  8)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2018, 03:38:33 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts and responses everyone! It's great to see so many people involved and taking part, and I'm especially enjoying seeing how other people's responses differ to my own :)

It sounds as though option 1 is the favoured approach here so I'll make this play later today and then post the updated situation once the others have drawn their tiles and responded. Stay tuned!

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2018, 03:55:07 AM »
What kind of drink is next to the tiles? I would like to know what we are drinking.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2018, 03:58:36 AM »
What kind of drink is next to the tiles? I would like to know what we are drinking.

It was a glass of Jura (Scotch Whisky) if I remember correctly. If that isn't to your tastes I can take requests for the next photo? :o :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2018, 01:13:37 PM »
OK, so this is what happened...

Whose stupid idea was it to try and share that road with Yellow?! >:( :yellow-meeple: :@ :(n)

So, Red is carrying on with his city nicely and stands to win himself a tidy 8 points if he can complete it with a city cap on his next turn. That's a concern, but there's nothing we can do to hinder him with this tile, although we can create an opportunity for someone else to hinder him by placing it immediately to the west of Green's city. Another reason for doing this is that we could point the road downwards which would prevent Yellow from getting two meeples onto that road. It would also cut us out of the more valuable part of the road however. The bigger risk with this is that Red might very easily extend his city and leave a road pointing into the rrrx gap we'd be leaving. This would make it an rrrr gap, and since that tile's already gone we would not be getting our blue meeple back (or the meeple we put on the cloister if we choose to claim it). So that's one option, with several subsequent options regarding which way the road faces and whether or not we claim the cloister.

Another option is to place it in on Green's road immediately East of the starting tile and claim the cloister. We'd be giving a point away to Green but it's 5 points straight off and the cloister looks like it would stand a good chance of being completed. That's another option, albeit one which ignores the threat of Red's city and Yellow winning the road overall. Maybe we're not so fussed about those though? This is probably my favoured option, but I'd be secretly hoping that Green would extend his city and point a road downwards into the space where Yellow is trying to get his second meeple onto the road in the process...

A third option might be to place it next to the rrrr that Yellow claimed and take a quick 2 points for the road. If we were to do this I'd recommend taking the east-facing branch rather than the south-facing branch as it the former would provide an opportunity to stop Yellow from getting his second meeple onto that road if we pointed another road junction towards where he intends to join his second meeple. If he joins it quickly then this wouldn't matter anyway, but it's certainly worth thinking about.

Over to you guys. What's the plan?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:23:46 PM by danisthirty »

Offline oosie

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2018, 01:23:34 PM »
I think I would go for the cloister and give green the 1 point as suggested by Dan. It also creates a potentially bigger field for farming (that's the early-farmer in me speaking again) which we might want to keep an eye on.

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2018, 02:19:59 PM »
My immediate thoughts for consideration are to place to the west of green's city with the road pointing west and take the cloister.

The reasons are that this would help to avoid our road meeple getting trapped, as yellow will be trying to fill the gap with FRRX, of which there are plenty. If red extends the city then the two worst possibilities are a road to the east, needing FRRR (4 left) and a a city to the east (neither red nor yellow would do this), needing CFRR (3 left) All other extensions to the city that red can make leaves us and yellow FFRR (8 left) to rescue the potential trapped meeples. The reason for claiming the cloister is that it is in all player's interests for different reasons, to place tiles around this tile in order to rescue potential entrapments.

Green would be the only opponent that would benefit from spoiling this by extending red's city and leaving us a CFRR, and he would probably be concentrating on extending his own city or, at least, making it safer, rather than messing about with red's.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:55:56 PM by TheSteveAllen »

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »
To me the only option is to add to greens road and take the cloister.  With a 4 player game you have to take the most points you can when you can as you don't have that many opportunities.  Preventing trappage of our other meeple is not a bad idea but we risk a lot and gain very little.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »
That was also my first thought when I saw the setup this time.
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
CARCASSONNE IN PAIRS (an original idea from carcassonne.cat)

Started by DrMeeple

14 Replies
Last post January 11, 2022, 06:52:18 AM
by DrMeeple
xx
Carcassonne & Co. Newsletter - announcing a new "Spiel '14" Carcassonne tile

Started by wamboyil

60 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 04:39:08 PM
by eddebaby
xx
Carcassonne Event in Carcassonne 10-11 September 2022

Started by Willem

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2022, 02:11:03 AM
by Lobo
xx
Carcassonne 3.0 - Nebel über Carcassonne(Taiwan)

Started by jacky1st2016

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2023, 11:58:23 PM
by Decar
smiley
[WTT] Carcassonne almost everything for Carcassonne dice game shopdisplay

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2023, 08:40:34 AM
by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)