Author Topic: Basegame League - Round 4  (Read 7068 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Basegame League - Round 4
« on: March 07, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »
Round 4

The full list of all fixtures for Rounds 1 to 11 (including results from previous rounds) can be found here: http://tournamentscheduler.net/schedule/NzAwODE4MjQzNg (but please don't play any of your opponents from any future rounds yet as we're going to take it one round at a time). :(y)

As you will have noticed, Round 3 was subject to some delays and while I don't want to hurry anyone I do ask that you look to play your games for this round at your earliest convenience so that we might be ready to move on to the next round by the end of next week (Sunday 17th March). Nobody's going to get left behind if we go over this date, but please try not to let this be you anyway!

Good luck to everyone; and when you do get round to playing your match please don't forget to post the results and any screenshots you have here on this post! Thanks C:-)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4225.0

Offline JackFace

• Villein
  • Merit: 3
  • UK Champ 2018 - somehow!
    • View Profile
Re: Basegame League - Round 4
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »
Hi all,

Played my match against LaplazadeCarcassone this evening. Our first attempt disappeared mid-game without either of us being able to save it. It was pretty close so probably no harm done. No harm, that is, apart from the fact that I got utterly thrashed in our re-run of game 1. I was never in it. Outplayed, out-thought, and easily outscored.

Game 2 was a tighter affair, but when my formidable opponent claimed the large incomplete city, I was staring at a 2-0 defeat. However, I did have more meeples left, and a five point incomplete road, eight point city (both top right) and six point field (bottom left) with the final tile somehow got me the win. It didn't feel deserved.

Final score: JackFace 1 - LaplazadeCarcassone 1

Offline LaplazadeCarcassonne

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
    • La plaza de Carcassonne
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 01:55:47 PM »
Hi all,

Played my match against LaplazadeCarcassone this evening. Our first attempt disappeared mid-game without either of us being able to save it. It was pretty close so probably no harm done. No harm, that is, apart from the fact that I got utterly thrashed in our re-run of game 1. I was never in it. Outplayed, out-thought, and easily outscored.

Game 2 was a tighter affair, but when my formidable opponent claimed the large incomplete city, I was staring at a 2-0 defeat. However, I did have more meeples left, and a five point incomplete road, eight point city (both top right) and six point field (bottom left) with the final tile somehow got me the win. It didn't feel deserved.

Final score: JackFace 1 - LaplazadeCarcassone 1

Good games. The second game I saw won. That was the first mistake, and that's probably why I put my last meeple wrong.
The best games are those that, win or lose, improvements in your game. And these games have been like this

Offline Bekse

• Villein
  • Lekker man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 02:25:43 AM »
Rosco, when would you like to play? I can play tonight, late (22.00) or tomorrow all day.

Offline Bekse

• Villein
  • Lekker man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 11:58:47 PM »
Rosco, you here?

Offline dronedrone

• Vassal
  • Merit: 6
  • Updated my profile have I.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 05:57:18 AM »
Halfling and I booked for middle of this week.
The owls are not what they seem

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 01:57:19 AM »
8pm tomorrow Clive?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline dronedrone

• Vassal
  • Merit: 6
  • Updated my profile have I.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 05:02:45 AM »
That's fine by me - I'll PM you to sort out the finer details re hosting etc.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 06:30:47 AM »
Riker and I should be playing tomorrow evening.

Rosco, you here?

Any response?

That's fine by me - I'll PM you to sort out the finer details re hosting etc.

:(y)

Any news from anyone else?

Offline Bekse

• Villein
  • Lekker man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 07:21:39 AM »
No news from Rosco...

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 01:20:29 PM »
DroneDrone went first in Game 1.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:02:05 PM by Halfling »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 03:46:24 PM »
I will admit that I was dreading this match having played Riker enough in the past to know just what an excellent player he is. However, on the back of my somewhat humiliating defeat thrashing at the hands of Bekse in Round 3, the tiles were a little kinder to me this time...

Game 1:

This game started off fairly evenly. I was successful in trapping one of Riker's meeples on a 4-point road but he was quick to claim what would turn into the main farm, and had soon strengthened his position with a second farmer on it. After a short but sweet battle for the big city in the middle of the map (this was tied with 2 knights each) I started fighting back for the farm. I was expecting this to be quite tough, but the tiles were very much on my side allowing me to join 3 farmers onto the farm without giving Riker any chance to block me. After this it was just a case of hanging onto the farm and neutralising any further attempts that Riker made to tie it with me, plus adding a few cities to it along the way. 8)

Game 2:

This game played out similarly to the first in that I trapped one of Riker's meeples, this time a knight for 3 points, while he lay claim to the main farm with two meeples. I had some lucky tiles at first and built myself a sizeable city which I got to within one ccff tile of completion before the great ccff drought of 2019 began. As I waited for the tile I needed, I was in two minds as to whether I should fight back for the farm or merely attempt to kill off all of Riker's attempts to grow it. In the end I sort of tried to do both, with limited success, and the game began to slip away from me as Riker took overall control. Despite being on the back foot, I played relatively safely and didn't give away too many opportunities for Riker to score big. However, with the end of the game drawing ever-closer, and with me having drawn precisely 0 of the remaining ccff tiles that I needed so desperately, I started to play a little more dangerously. My first risky placement was claiming a cloister with just 2 meeples left. The next was claiming a city with my last meeple. In the end, both of these risks paid off and I could breathe a huge sigh of relief when I finally drew my much-needed ccff and took a narrow lead for the first time. My last few tiles were all very useful to me, and thanks to my completed cloister and a 6-point farm I just about managed to finish with a small handful of points more than my worthy adversary. Somehow. :o

65 was obviously the number of the evening as this was Riker's score in both games, as well as being my overall PD victory (+59 in Game 1 and +6 in Game 2)!

Many thanks for the games Richard, and good luck with the rest of the competition! :) :(y)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 07:57:05 AM »
Bekse and I finally managed to meet on jcz today.

I had all the luck which i played to my advantage in the first game as i think i got all the ffrr tiles which in this game were decisive. - bekse started.

In the second game it was fairly even thoughout - i was storming ahead on fetures but Bekse had control of the massive farm.  In the end it came down to the final few tiles - had they swung the other way Bekse would have come out on top but because i equalised the farm, it gave me the win on other features!

pics attached.
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Bekse

• Villein
  • Lekker man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 07:58:19 AM »
Never had games like this. You got all corners in the first game where only 1 would have given me the easy victory.
Second game you got the only tile you needed or else you'd lost.

Incredibly lucky but nevertheless congrats :)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 03:30:20 PM »
You had the opportunity to get another farmer in with about 20 tiles left but instead you trapped your own 2 farmers at the bottom of the map.  I was a little confused as to why you did that but put it down to frustration at the tiles.  But even if you had got that 1 farmer in, you would only have equalised and I would still have won by 10 points.  I don't think it is fair to say that I only won because of luck.  I played well but some bad luck on your part helped. If we had an equal amount of bad luck and good luck in that first game, then maybe you might have won but maybe I would have still won. 

As for the second game, I have to say it was fairly equal throughout.  It could have gone either way.  I set up a fairly safe place to get a farmer in and it worked giving me the win. 

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2019 Basegame League - Round 2

Started by danisthirty

30 Replies
Last post February 18, 2019, 03:02:17 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Basegame League - Round 5

Started by danisthirty

27 Replies
Last post May 01, 2019, 10:56:35 AM