Author Topic: Princess & Dragon League: Dragons  (Read 39690 times)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Princess & Dragon League: Dragons
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »
I was very wary going into this game as I don't have a great record against Hounk
I think, that's what we call in German "selective awareness", not sure if this is a proper English term. I think, your record against me is, like with most player in the top area of ELO ratings, much better, then you believe.

The net result was that the farm ended up being tied, and two of Hounks subsequent attempts to win it outright were blocked (although one of them wasn't entirely blocked and could have made it onto the farm if Hounk had placed the crcr tile elsewhere).
This was probably one of my biggest mistakes in that game, the other was placing there the farmer in the first place, because I knew of the risk, and there would have been better options to join the farm a few turns later. However, I very likely would have joint my farmer otherwise, but you probably the other one, which I trapped with the tunnel tile, too. So I'm not sure, if I would have benefit of it, but it would have definitely been the wiser thing to do.

Still, I enjoyed the game. Seemed thrilling, and the outcome open till close to the end, although dan looked slightly in front most of the game.

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2016, 03:44:05 PM »
Latenight game against ny1050220

Valheru: 130
ny1050220: 115

This game was all about meepleshortage and a big farmbattle. We started off with some quick points on either side. Major cities that were being built were blocked off by the both of us, trapping a meeple or two in the process. We both realised that scoring those quick points would be essential. Small roads, small cities, you name it.. Because of that, a large farm began to grow. I engaged on it, but was quickly countered by ny1050220 and even beaten due to good play with the dragon. But by that time, he had 6 meeples engaged in that or some other adjacent farm as a reserve so I gave up on it and saved my two spare meeples. Ny's other meeple was stuck in a big city he couldn't complete anymore. Scoring quick points here and there with cloisters, another farm and some cities, and the dragon being on a leash or nowhere near the action up top, I could build on my lead and gather enough points to secure the win. In the end, the margin was small but comfortable enough because ny1050220 was really handicapped without any meeples.

I needed that win, when looking at the standings, so I'm glad I delivered. Very tough game in the beginning, but 25 tiles remaining, I had a free game because of the meepleshortage of NY. Thank you for taking the time for this game and good luck with the rest of the tournament!

Quevy is my remaining opponent, excited to play the match!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:58:21 PM by Valheru »
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
Quevy vs. Hounk
194:124

My last game. Another good game, another loss. Can blame myself for it. Placing the 0 point farmer on that CCCF next to my other farmer was a preety dumb thing. Knew it the moment, I confirmed it and hoped to connect, before Quevy could block with road, but of course, he got a fitting tile two or three turns later.

Game started strange with three volcano tiles among the first dozen or so, while no dragon move for quite a long time. Although, I trapped one of quevys first meeple as a monk (on the tile with his farmer and the fairy), I was never less short of meeples. Quevy got a few lucky tile draws, particular regarding the two big finished city, which both got to him in the end, the last cloister, which was a "drop in the hole for 9 points, and regarding his last farmer to join the main farm. But this all wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game, it would just had made it a bit tighter. It didn't really "feel" like eventually ending with a gap of 70 points. Great played by Quevy, anyway. Congratulations!

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2016, 12:55:49 PM »
My last game of the first round, against Quevy.

Quevy: 217
Valheru: 191

Alas, I couldn't capitalize on the momentum of my previous victory and lost a very tense game against Quevy. I started very aggressively and gained an early lead of about 25 points, if I'm not mistaken. Quevy got to me pretty soon after that and it was clear that a huge main farm was emerging with various small cities being finished and long roads were built. The fight for that farm began, and what a fight it was! In the end we had 4 meeples each on it because of various countermoves by the both of us. I thought I had it twice, but Quevy came back and took the lead. In the attack I performed better than in defense and could draw it but nothing more.

Along with the points of a few cloisters and a pretty hungry-for-green-meeples-dragon, Quevy took the lead and I wasn't able to come back from it. The major city in the upper right was probably the big turning point. It got built with scraps that neither of us could use in the beginning. I entered it when it was about 18 points (a lot of banners in it), still thinking it could not be finished but the points were welcome, but I lost my focus, Quevy capitalized on that and put two meeples in it. I was lucky enough to get one out and share the points in the end (52!+3 with the fairy). Still, that could have been the winning ticket for me, if I had played it a bit better/smarter.

Nonetheless, although Quevy thought he made some mistakes, I think it was a really well fought match of Quevy with a deserving victor in the end. Meepleshortage on my behalf made the point difference a bit bigger, Quevy grabbed some really late points on a few farms, roads but that didn't change the result spectacularly. The swinging point happened before, I think.

I hope I interpreted this game correctly, but I'm sure Quevy would like to comment?

Anyway, that concludes my first round in my first tournament ever. I'm quite happy with the results. There were games where I got outplayed pretty badly (Rosco,...), games where I fought hard and only just lost/won. The main thing is that I learned a lot, which I can hold on to in the future. My farmgame especially approved drastically. I'm very excited to see where I'll eventually end in this league, but the experience has been delightful. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:57:17 PM by Valheru »

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2016, 12:34:53 AM »
Yes, you played the game perfectly, my mistakes have cost us at least 14 points, if I had lost that I would not be very happy.
I closed a city without removing your knight through the Princess, but I have added an important ontadino, I have not received 8 points from a road to a fairy of protection is not needed here.

Excellent game in any case.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2016, 01:00:22 AM »
Quevy 158- Rosco 125

I also won this game, but with much luck.
Rosco was always ahead of me scoring, I could not do the scores and I had to play very defensively, trying to block or delay all that he did, I gave up my follower to temporarily block 2, early in the game has moved on the big field domain that you created, rosco managed to block a follower who had placed beside her.
I am could win the big cities up and get back into the game, but rosco has managed to put farmers in several places easily connected with a RFFF tiles that still was at stake. I tried to avoid this with some placings and entering a follower of security, not realizing there were no longer with curved tiles.
Rosco has linked a farmer and this would give him the victory, but the dragon's position with respect to it and the tile positioned to connect it were perfect to make it a palatable meal last dragon moving tile left, I hoped to have that and I I got it.

Rosco great game, I'm sure you would have deserved more.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:07:53 AM by quevy »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2016, 12:56:52 AM »
danisthirty vs. jma03:

The game crashed after about 30 tiles so we reloaded it and continued, but the fairy scoring was inconsistent after the restart. Sometimes it scored, sometimes it didn't. We both logged the missed points ourselves and came to the conclusion that jma03 missed out on 8 points and I missed out on 12 points. So, the corrected final scores were:

danisthirty :blue-meeple: - 164 : 141 - :yellow-meeple: jma03

This was a tough and taxing game which I didn't expect to win considering jma03's impressive record so far...

The dragon didn't feature much in the early part of the game which gave us both a chance to get some points. The scores were mostly quite level at first; I took the 4-point city with my first tile but jma03 took control of the fairy early on and soon caught up with me just from the +1 point per turn since I didn't move it away. Then he took the lead, but a cloister and an 8-point city (+3 fairy points) put me back in the game and gave me a narrow lead which I clung to for most of the game.

jma03 made an early play for the farm and claimed it in two places even though there were only a few completed cities at that time. I had held him up in a couple of others places too where I'd either tried to share some of his features or attempted to block him. In one place he avoided my trying to block him by ensuring that all he needed was a ccrr to complete a city and join his two farms, but as (bad) luck would have it (for him), he ended up waiting for almost the entire game before he drew one whereas I drew several. I didn't have all of the luck though as jma03 was very fortunate in terms of the number of volcano and dragon tiles he drew. He certainly made the most of these and I learnt how the dragon likes his steak: blue! :blue-meeple: :( However, this did at least ensure that I had a healthy supply of meeples. So much so that at one point about halfway through the game I had all 7 back in my hand whereas jma03 had just 1 (very annoying when all I wanted to do was move the fairy but couldn't because I didn't have anywhere to move it to)! ::)

The turning point in the game came when I drew the cccc tile. This was important as we'd fought for a city earlier in the game and the struggle had ended with me continuing to own the main part of the city outright but with a knight of jma03's and an additional one of my own camped adjacent to the cccc gap. I was happy with this as I would have won the city outright (2 knights against 1) if I'd drawn the cccc at that point but the dragon ate both of my meeples meaning that even though jma03's knight was only worth 2 points, if he'd drawn the cccc tile he could have taken the city for 28 points! So it was purely down to good luck that I drew and placed it in another city which I then completed for 18 points of my own about a dozen turns later. 8)

jma03's meeple shortage became a problem for him in the later stages of the game as he didn't want to risk using up his last meeple (3 farmers and 3 trapped) whereas I still had a few left and could afford to take a couple of risks (most of which paid off, but I wouldn't have taken them with my last meeple either). I managed to equalise jma03's farms in three different places and was sitting on a good lead of about 30 points with 15 tiles to go. But I knew only too well from my game against Valheru how quickly a winning position can be lost when there's a dragon roaming around!

The game had an exciting ending when jma03 finally drew the ccrr tile he had been waiting for for most of the game. As well as the points, this merged two of our farms and most importantly gave him a meeple back which he joined back onto the main farm with ease a few turns later. I was able to match him here too and could have won the 30-point mega-farm outright if I'd drawn a straight road to connect my lone farmer in the north-west corner but the right tile never came up so it remained tied. My last tile of the game was a frrr with magic portal which allowed me to get a meeple back into the unfinished city which jma03 might have claimed if he'd drawn the cccc tile earlier. This got me an extra 9 points which was the most I could have hoped for.

Thanks for the tough but enjoyable game jma03, it was a close one! :) :(y)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:10:25 PM by danisthirty »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2016, 01:14:16 AM »
Here comes the x-score list - CarcC-A-Dragons 09 02 2016:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2016, 01:40:46 AM »
Thanks kettlefish.

Please could you update this to show the corrected scores for my game with jma03? JCZ missed some fairy points so we counted them ourselves and added them to the scores after the game. Corrected score is shown in the post.

Thanks! :)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2016, 01:42:40 AM »
danisthirty :blue-meeple: - 164 : 141 - :yellow-meeple: jma11

So, you played against team? jma03+Leven? ;)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2016, 01:44:17 AM »
danisthirty :blue-meeple: - 164 : 141 - :yellow-meeple: jma11

So, you played against team? jma03+Leven? ;)

:-[

So sorry Jacobo!

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2016, 03:11:37 AM »
danisthirty vs. jma03:

The game crashed after about 30 tiles so we reloaded it and continued, but the fairy scoring was inconsistent after the restart. Sometimes it scored, sometimes it didn't. We both logged the missed points ourselves and came to the conclusion that jma03 missed out on 8 points and I missed out on 12 points. So, the corrected final scores were:

danisthirty :blue-meeple: - 164 : 141 - :yellow-meeple: jma03

This was a tough and taxing game which I didn't expect to win considering jma03's impressive record so far...

The dragon didn't feature much in the early part of the game which gave us both a chance to get some points. The scores were mostly quite level at first; I took the 4-point city with my first tile but jma03 took control of the fairy early on and soon caught up with me just from the +1 point per turn since I didn't move it away. Then he took the lead, but a cloister and an 8-point city (+3 fairy points) put me back in the game and gave me a narrow lead which I clung to for most of the game.

jma03 made an early play for the farm and claimed it in two places even though there were only a few completed cities at that time. I had held him up in a couple of others places too where I'd either tried to share some of his features or attempted to block him. In one place he avoided my trying to block him by ensuring that all he needed was a ccrr to complete a city and join his two farms, but as (bad) luck would have it (for him), he ended up waiting for almost the entire game before he drew one whereas I drew several. I didn't have all of the luck though as jma03 was very fortunate in terms of the number of volcano and dragon tiles he drew. He certainly made the most of these and I learnt how the dragon likes his steak: blue! :blue-meeple: :( However, this did at least ensure that I had a healthy supply of meeples. So much so that at one point about halfway through the game I had all 7 back in my hand whereas jma03 had just 1 (very annoying when all I wanted to do was move the fairy but couldn't because I didn't have anywhere to move it to)! ::)

The turning point in the game came when I drew the cccc tile. This was important as we'd fought for a city earlier in the game and the struggle had ended with me continuing to own the main part of the city outright but with a knight of jma03's and an additional one of my own camped adjacent to the cccc gap. I was happy with this as I would have won the city outright (2 knights against 1) if I'd drawn the cccc at that point but the dragon ate both of my meeples meaning that even though jma03's knight was only worth 2 points, if he'd drawn the cccc tile he could have taken the city for 28 points! So it was purely down to good luck that I drew and placed it in another city which I then completed for 18 points of my own about a dozen turns later. 8)

jma03's meeple shortage became a problem for him in the later stages of the game as he didn't want to risk using up his last meeple (3 farmers and 3 trapped) whereas I still had a few left and could afford to take a couple of risks (most of which paid off, but I wouldn't have taken them with my last meeple either). I managed to equalise jma03's farms in three different places and was sitting on a good lead of about 30 points with 15 tiles to go. But I knew only too well from my game against Valheru how quickly a winning position can be lost when there's a dragon roaming around!

The game had an exciting ending when jma03 finally drew the ccrr tile he had been waiting for for most of the game. As well as the points, this merged two of our farms and most importantly gave him a meeple back which he joined back onto the main farm with ease a few turns later. I was able to match him here too and could have won the 30-point mega-farm outright if I'd drawn a straight road to connect my lone farmer in the north-west corner but the right tile never came up so it remained tied. My last tile of the game was a frrr with magic portal which allowed me to get a meeple back into the unfinished city which jma03 might have claimed if he'd drawn the cccc tile earlier. This got me an extra 9 points which was the most I could have hoped for.

Thanks for the tough but enjoyable game jma03, it was a close one! :) :(y)

little to add to this fabulous narrative.
at the point where Dan was 7 meeple and me 1 meeple,
I saw the game became difficult for me.
The fairy gave me a lot of play and my meeple last saw a little light at the end of the tunnel, but not enough to win the game .

Dan was fair winner
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:11:02 PM by danisthirty »
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2016, 03:14:09 AM »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2016, 05:51:40 AM »
I will probably be available tomorrow (Friday) evening from around 8:30pm (UK time) onwards if quevy, aenima or ny1050220 fancy a game?

It looks as though we only have 6 games left to go and our group is still wide open! 8)

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2016, 08:42:16 AM »
Hello Dan, unfortunately I tomorrow night I have the live game evening with friends I can not be there.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Must or may - The Princess (The Princess and The Dragon)

Started by Windekind

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2019, 04:20:10 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
The Dragons' Meal plan - What can the Dragon eat?

Started by kettlefish

36 Replies
Last post December 02, 2020, 07:00:40 AM
by Kaleostro
xx
Princess & Dragon League: Princesses

Started by danisthirty

165 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 04:28:07 AM
by Chooselife
exclamation
Expansion League #4: The Princess & The Dragon - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by danisthirty

159 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 12:18:39 PM
by Halfling
clip
Princess & Dragon League: Groups D1 - D9

Started by kettlefish

127 Replies
Last post May 09, 2016, 05:27:43 AM
by danisthirty