Author Topic: Goodbye & Good luck Udo Schmitz!!  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Goodbye & Good luck Udo Schmitz!!
« on: October 31, 2018, 03:44:15 PM »
While at Essen, I got to see Udo Schmitz of Carcassonne-on-Tour (CoT) for a few minutes.
Udo has been the most positive driving force for Carcassonne over the last 6 years while has worked for Hans im Glueck to promote Carcassonne across the globe.

I was fortunate enough to meet Udo for the first time at the UKGE in 2015 where he described many of the wonderful events CoT had hosted in Germany.
Due to his wonderful hospitality and love of Carcassonne, we met again at the Carcassonne celebration at Essen 2016.  He was without doubt the main reason Dan and I could even attend.
Though the majority of Udo's work has been based in Germany, he's often globe trotting visiting friends and always in the search of the greatest Carcassonne fans.
Even if you've not had the pleasure of meeting him in person, you'll have likely received his benefit; he's often a source of mini-expansions and other rarities, that we share here on the forum!

It's hard for me to express what a big impact Udo has had on my enjoyment of Carcassonne and of the boardgaming hobby.
For example, the First international Carcassonne meetup held in Ostriz in April was a phenomenal event unlike any other.

Unfortunately, Udo's time at Hans im Glueck will cease at the end of 2018.

This is a momentous blow to the Carcassonne Community, but we must will him the best of luck for his new adventure at Schmitz Spiel.
It's very hard to know how Carcassonne will feel without his presence, especially from outside of Germany.

If you're a forum member at Carcassonne-Forum, Udo has shared his goodbye message:
https://www.carcassonne-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=4494&sid=dd17f37042e6509752c3a5e34927af64

Please take a moment to share your kind words!

:'(

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4113.0

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye & Good luck Udo Schmitz!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 06:34:27 AM »
This was a very sad post to read as Udo has always been so supportive of Carcassonne's fan communities both here, and especially at CarcF.

Based on the lack of responses seen here it appears that the majority of us are perhaps unaware of the many things he's done and events he's organised for our favourite game, but I'm sure many more will have benefited from his generosity in some way even if it wasn't directly through him considering that he provided the vast majority of signed tiles and mini expansions/ promos that have been given away here in recent years.

I'll be sorry to see him cut his ties with Carcassonne and wonder what HiG might have in store to fill the huge void that he will leave behind? Especially in light of their intention to focus more on exactly the things Udo was providing to so many people up until now...

I'll also be sorry to see him go personally as he's one of the kindest, most generous and friendly people I've ever met. Obviously I hope to stay in touch with him despite his new direction, but it will be a huge loss to Carcassonne in general when he begins his next venture. :'(

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 08:42:38 AM »
I have not been to up to date with CarC during past few days.

Sorry to hear that. There is not much I can add to what you have already said. I have met Udo only once during meetup, but this is enough to feel sad about such course of events.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
Haven't met him, I think after reading the German post and this that he was a nice person and we probably will all feel that he will be gone in some months. Probably not directly, but it will change.

It's a big loss
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Udo Schmitz - on Tour - in Russia - St Petersburg

Started by kettlefish

3 Replies
Last post September 12, 2015, 01:14:44 PM
by toastytoast
xx
Udo Schmitz - on Tour - Edinburgh

Started by kettlefish

0 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 03:42:56 AM