Poll

What is your opinion towards buying/selling Carcassonne new/old artwork?

I keep all my old artwork Carcassonne & chase down the old artwork expansions I still miss - no buying new artwork for me
13 (32.5%)
I start buying the new artwork stuff & keep all my old artwork as well
7 (17.5%)
I start buying the new artwork stuff & start selling a part of my old artwork stuff - I only keep the really rare expansions
2 (5%)
I start buying the new artwork stuff & start selling all my old artwork stuff
0 (0%)
I only started buying the new artwork...huh...was there even an old artwork ever?
7 (17.5%)
I keep all my old artwork Carcassonne & start buying everything in the new artwork that I do not possess in the old artwork
5 (12.5%)
Keeping old art and buying everything in the new art that does not exist in the old art (distinct from the things that exist but are not owned by the respondent)
2 (5%)
Keeping old art and buying only those things in the new art that do not exist in the old art and also interest me
4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: What is your opinion towards buying/selling Carcassonne new/old artwork?  (Read 4679 times)

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
We already had a poll about whether people mix the new and/or old artwork but what I'm curious about is "what do you keep or what do you sell"?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3721.0

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: What is your opinion towards buying/selling Carcassonne new/old artwork?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 07:42:43 AM »
I think there needs to be another choice.  A lot of people are doing B1, but I am doing B2.

B1 - Keeping old art and rebuying everything in the new art
B2 - Keeping old art and buying everything in the new art that they do not possess in the old art

I am only buying anything that I don't have, which also includes Wheel of Fortune if that ever gets printed in the new art.  I won't be buying Inns & Cathedrals, Traders.... again. 

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:52:39 AM »
I think there needs to be another choice.  A lot of people are doing B1, but I am doing B2.

B1 - Keeping old art and rebuying everything in the new art
B2 - Keeping old art and buying everything in the new art that they do not possess in the old art

I am only buying anything that I don't have, which also includes Wheel of Fortune if that ever gets printed in the new art.  I won't be buying Inns & Cathedrals, Traders.... again.

Poll is adapted.  Thanks for the feedback, Dirk

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »
Buying new and selling a lot but not all of the old. (don't tell Willems other half)

I won't sell 10th Anniversary or Wheel of Fortune but a lot of the rest has gone.. ... But not all.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 08:00:36 AM »
I have just about everything in the old art and have started buying everything in the new art to.
I did wait for the new Big Box for I&C and T&B, but have bought a base game with the river, abbot and festival seperately.
And with Halfling selling some of his old art, my old art collection is growing :P
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 08:24:38 AM »
Not sure what option's best for me.

All the things...

Thankfully I'm mostly old artwork complete now!

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »

There are at least two distinct variations on this:

B3 - Keeping old art and buying everything in the new art that does not exist in the old art (distinct from the things that exist but are not owned by the respondent)
B4 - Keeping old art and buying only those things in the new art that do not exist in the old art and also interest me

I'm a B4. I'm still pursuing old art, and have acquired Abbots and Expansion 10 (purposely), and Japanese Temples (circumstantially), but I don't want anything Carc-II that actually exists in Carc-I (even if I don't own the classic version), and I don't want any new stuff that doesn't rise to the height of compelling new gameplay. The Watchtowers and Leipzig* seem like pretty uninspiring bonus-point generators, so I don't really care about those.

I still don't plan to mix any tiles that don't look good with the old art. The Japanese Temples and the new Labyrinth tile fit in better than most other things, because they have no cities. Cities are really the dealbreaker for me. They just do not fit in aesthetically. Since HiG has an approval process for fan-conversions of new gameplay to old artwork, I will make tiles using those and won't have to mix anything that looks bad.

* In the interest of full disclosure, I did actually buy Leipzig because I will need rectangular tiles for some custom projects. But since I'll be removing/hiding the Carc-II artwork, I didn't count this one.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 08:35:20 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline mPony

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • Greetings from Canada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »
I don't feel the need to buy absolutely everything (I call this the Pokemon model).  I don't blame anybody else that does - do what you like.  if I didn't have a Big Box 5 I would probably have bought the new Big Box and slowly accumulate a collection of old and a collection of new art. 

Along with my BB5 (with custom foamcore insert and almost all the expansions) I have a Small Box of old artwork base game, I&C T&B River and a few other things with a nice Broken Token insert.  Someday I will probably trade that for a New Art version of the same stuff.  Then I will be excited again about the new art.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 01:20:51 PM »
I will keep it by the old art, try to get it a bit completed :)
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
  • Merit: 5
  • Why you have to be mad?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »
Newb here so... only new artwork.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 11:08:55 PM »
B3 - Keeping old art and buying everything in the new art that does not exist in the old art (distinct from the things that exist but are not owned by the respondent)
This.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 01:13:12 AM »
I voted A, although I'm pretty much complete in the old art now so unfortunately that's it for me in terms of Carcassonne purchases unless new spin-off games come out that I find really compelling. And since the winter edition is the only spin-off that I have that's more recent than 2004, that doesn't seem too likely.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
I'm also more or less A. However, while I own most of old artwork, my collection is not complete, and I won't "hunt down" the rest. Most of the missing stuff, I don't care for: Darmstadt and Windroses and the like. Since I own Besiegers and Crop Circles II, I don't really need Katharer and Crop Circles I. Only Tunnels and Little Buildings might be nice, but not so important, that I hunt them down.

On the other side, if in the future an expansion arises, which intrigues me mechanically and thematically (neither was the case with "Big Top"), I might consider buying it. But it would have to be a really good one to see over the break in artwork, because the expansions I have offer so many permutation of play, that I doubt, I really ever will "need" another one.

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 12:25:44 AM »

There are at least two distinct variations on this:

B4 - Keeping old art and buying only those things in the new art that do not exist in the old art and also interest me

I'm a B4. I'm still pursuing old art, and have acquired Abbots and Expansion 10 (purposely), and Japanese Temples (circumstantially), but I don't want anything Carc-II that actually exists in Carc-I (even if I don't own the classic version), and I don't want any new stuff that doesn't rise to the height of compelling new gameplay. The Watchtowers and Leipzig* seem like pretty uninspiring bonus-point generators, so I don't really care about those.

I still don't plan to mix any tiles that don't look good with the old art. The Japanese Temples and the new Labyrinth tile fit in better than most other things, because they have no cities. Cities are really the dealbreaker for me. They just do not fit in aesthetically. Since HiG has an approval process for fan-conversions of new gameplay to old artwork, I will make tiles using those and won't have to mix anything that looks bad.

* In the interest of full disclosure, I did actually buy Leipzig because I will need rectangular tiles for some custom projects. But since I'll be removing/hiding the Carc-II artwork, I didn't count this one.

Added!  Thanks for the feedback!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Sometimes what you are buying is not exactly what the other guy is selling.

Started by loki

0 Replies
Last post July 11, 2015, 12:43:40 PM
by loki
xx
Selling original artwork to fund new game purchases

Started by Halfling

23 Replies
Last post July 10, 2018, 05:22:24 AM
by Halfling
xx
New expansions in old artwork