Poll

Which version(s) of the City of Carcassonne tiles (from the Count expansion) do you own or want to own?

I already owned the Count and I bought both single City of Carcassonne tiles (Russian/Cundco) for completion purposes.
8 (14.3%)
I already owned the Count and I bought one single City of Carcassonne tile for completion purposes.
15 (26.8%)
I already owned the Count and I bought one single City of Carcassonne tile for practical purposes.
11 (19.6%)
I own the Count (with 12 City of Carcassonne tiles) and I want to get a single City of Carcassonne tile.
6 (10.7%)
I own the Count (with 12 City of Carcassonne tiles) and that's enough for my collection.
12 (21.4%)
I don't own any part of this expansion.
3 (5.4%)
Other (please explain below).
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #7: the City of Carcassonne tile(s) from the Count expansion  (Read 8607 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
The Completionism Poll is a weekly series where we ask how much of a completionist you are by breaking the game down into different expansions and elements. This week we look at the Count, and specifically the City of Carcassonne tile(s).

Last year, the community became aware that a single City of Carcassonne tile was being sold in Russia, and some people bought it through the help of some members here. Then HiG made a single-tile version available for sale through the Cundco website, which has one configuration difference (an extra city segment).

So, do you have the original version (or even the stand-alone version and the King, Count and Robber version), plus two slightly different single City of Carcassonne tiles? Just one 12-tile version and one single-tile version? Just the 12 tiles?

If you bought the single tile, was it because it's easier than having to put the 12 tiles together (for practical reasons), or for completionism alone? (If you're having trouble answering this question, imagine if it was originally released as one tile, and then later with 12 tiles. If you had the single tile, would you get the 12 tiles too? If so, it's probably for completionism, not practicality, unless you want to put it in a travel box.)

Vote in the poll and discuss what version(s) of the City of Carcassonne you have below.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2469.0

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
I'd argue that there are at least four Hans im Glück versions of The Count of Carcassonne:
1. The stand-alone box expansion;
2. The Count, King & Cult version;
3. The Big Box 2 version; and,
4. The single-tile version (which oddly does not include a Count figure. Hmm...)

Of those, I owned the 1st, but replaced it with the 2nd. The 3rd edition does not include the numbers on the tile backs, if I remember right (but I could be wrong). I think my edition has them, though (can't check right now). I did grab the 4th for practical reasons, namely I really don't like how the City looks when it is separate tiles, but I suppose the edition of an extra city corner does qualify it as a new edition. Like most other expansions, I don't consider nation editions (e.g., the Russian City) to be different expansions unless they actually include different features (which in this case I don't see the Russian version doing).

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
I own a few Count single tiles version from Count, King and Robber edition and wouldn't mind getting a single tiled version as well as just the stand-alone version in the mini-box as well.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
I had the 12 Count tiles from the mini-expansion, and had no interest in Count, King and Robber when it came out (I also already had the King and Scout mini-expansion and the River II, plus the cult tiles from Cult, Siege and Creativity). When the I learned about the Russian single tile, I appreciated it would be good for practicalities but didn't want to go to the trouble of finding it, nor was I interested in it for completion purposes. When it was easily available on Cundco, I bought it for practical reasons. It is much easier having the single tile instead of messing around with 12 small ones (imagine the Wheel of Fortune as 16 tiles! Nightmare!) In the example cited, had I owned the single tile and then the 12 tiles become available, I wouldn't have bothered. I didn't know the single tile had a different configuration, but that doesn't change my opinion.

Basically, one copy is enough for me, I just bought the single tile for convenience.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
When the I learned about the Russian single tile, I appreciated it would be good for practicalities but didn't want to go to the trouble of finding it, nor was I interested in it for completion purposes. When it was easily available on Cundco, I bought it for practical reasons. It is much easier having the single tile instead of messing around with 12 small ones (imagine the Wheel of Fortune as 16 tiles! Nightmare!) In the example cited, had I owned the single tile and then the 12 tiles become available, I wouldn't have bothered. I didn't know the single tile had a different configuration, but that doesn't change my opinion.

Basically, one copy is enough for me, I just bought the single tile for convenience.

This is EXACTLY my opinion too!  :green-meeple:

Offline Gabrielgeek01

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
I own the 12-tile version, but I bought the single tile for completion. Too bad the single tile has the orribile dark green instead of the classic light green of standard tiles.
BTW, I decided I will frame the single tile and hang it in my bedroom

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
After one day, we have at least one answer for all options except 'Other', which means I did something right with this poll :)

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
I have all three versions - the orginal twelve tile version, the Russian single tile and the Cundco single tile. I consider all three of them to be necessary for my collection to be complete.

When I actually play The Count expansion I now use the Russian version, since it is convenient to use a single tile and the configuration is the same as the original expansion.

I have no idea why Cundco decided to add an extra half city to the new single tile version, it definitely drives me a little crazy when trying to rationalize what constitues "every official tile" when I play Mega Carcassonne! Should there be two Cities of Carcassonne now?

3. The Big Box 2 version

The 3rd edition does not include the numbers on the tile backs, if I remember right (but I could be wrong).

Can anyone else confirm or contradict this statement that the Big Box 2 version did not have numbers on the back? I can't find anything decisive on BGG or similar. I might need to reconsider my completionism of this expansion if this is true...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:53:50 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
I don't own any of the Big Boxes prior to Big Box 5 but I do own both single-tile versions of the Count (Russian and Cundco) and also the sets of tiles from the mini-expansion and the King & Consort expansion. This is the minimum for me, but like Jamie says, if there is anything special about the BB2 version I would definitely start looking for this too...

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
I own the 12 tile from Count, King & Robber - the single tile sort of just happened in a typical CundCo order frenzy because it seemed a good idea at the time...
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
They're pretty much the same but I guess two cities are better than one.....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:25:17 PM by ARabidMeerkat »
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
I have some small boxes with the count of Carcassonne, the count of Carcassonne included in the Müller Box (base game, 6th expansion and Belagerer) and the City of Carcassonne single tile from CundCo.

Offline Khonnor

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
    • ~ add me on Facebook ~
I owned the separate Count expansion first, that I later sold.

When the Dutch edition of Count, King & Consorts was released, I bought a copy.

Last year at Essen I saw the single tile count and bought that as well. Too bad it doesn't fit in the expansion box, so I keep it in the Wheel of Fortune box.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
This was a close one and an interesting vote. After one week, 10 of the 27 people said they bought one or both of the single city tiles for completionism purposes, while 7 more bought it for practical purposes and 3 more want to buy it. Therefore, nearly 75% of voters either have or think they need to have the single tile for one reason or another, while 6 people (just over 20%) are happy with the 12-tile City of Carcassonne. 

Offline Meles

• Freeman
  • Merit: 0
  • Hi
    • View Profile
I'm the only person who voted other and I ended with the single tile first and no meeple. I now have the 12 tile version with the meeple and that is enough so I have both play options.

I'm a completionist with most games, but Carcassonne has been a cash cow for so long that it is easy to say no to the myriad of options, though I must admit I do like the idea of green/grass continuity and dirt continuity with tiles so I may end up getting some of these doubles especially if available from a seller I'm dealing with on other items limiting any shipping costs. Rounding doesn't bug me so much or the art changes, if the greens work together in my primarily C1 collection. Right now I'm like the later yellow-green C1 tiles for working with C2 and C3; overall I prefer the much more relaxed look of a largely C1 field of play. One on one comparing the individual tiles and all of the new stuff (C3 especially) is quite nice. Hopefully the transition period will end soon as a lot of C3 is not being produced until the C2 versions get run out.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 05:08:13 PM by Meles »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Count of Carcassonne - Count Robber and King Expansion 6 deployment

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 04:49:49 AM
by JoeSesquipedalian
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
by Meles
xx
WTT/WTB Russian Carcassonne (Single-Count-Tile, Gingerbreadman-Tile...)

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

15 Replies
Last post June 30, 2017, 02:28:32 AM
by Yashin-n
xx
Does the City of Carcassonne count for the King?

Started by JT Atomico

26 Replies
Last post December 05, 2013, 06:42:39 PM
by Carcking
xx
City/Count of Carcassonne: sending meeples to the Cathedral

Started by joe_abbot

3 Replies
Last post January 08, 2023, 10:53:29 AM
by Meepledrone