Author Topic: NEW Complete Annotated Rules  (Read 24204 times)

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Complete Annotated Rules
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 06:15:42 AM »
I have made essentially all tweaks suggested above to future versions of the CAR.

I did not change the position of the watermark on River I. It is true that not all versions of River I have the watermark, but older versions of some of the other early expansions don't have watermarks either. Consider it an HiG retcon -- all of them would have had the watermark if they had thought of it back then. The way I figure it, if you see the watermark, you know you have that expansion (ignoring the Spielbox pentagons). If you don't see the watermark, you have to use other clues. In other words, it's a specific test, just not necessarily a sensitive one.

I knew not everyone would agree with the way I did the minis. However, I feel that most people can figure out where the Goldmines come in the alphabet, but most people probably don't remember which mini number that is. (I was pretty sure it was #4, but even I had to look just now to confirm it.) So for ease of finding them, ABC order seemed most intuitive. The whole point was not to alienate people who are new to the game, and special ordering of a few seemingly arbitrary mini-expansions would be more confusing than it's worth in my mind.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 07:09:59 AM »
That's true, I think all of the pre-A&M expansion didn't get a watermark on at least there first print. However, "The River" only has the watermark on the 2014 Big Box variant. The version, you get now at CundCo, and even the reprint in "Carcassonne 2" do not have any watermark. Also, the way you describe the BB variant might confuse people: Additionally, the backs of the river tiles in this version are the light gray of standard tiles rather than the dark gray of starting tiles, and there is a new watermark on the front. A "new watermark" might be interpreted as a different watermark then before. And considering that, it's likely, that people owning the BB5 version are wondering, what type they got, since their tiles are in every aspect as described in the 2014 paragraph, but still with the "old" watermark, depicted at the top of the River chapter.

I would at least alter the text then: Additionally, for the first and currently only time, the backs of the river tiles in this version are the light gray of standard tiles rather than the dark gray of starting tiles, and there is a watermark on the front.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 07:59:30 AM »
The watermarks for expansions - starts with the first BigBox from 2006.
This BigBox included: base game, 1.-4. expansion.

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 09:15:03 AM »
That's true, I think all of the pre-A&M expansion didn't get a watermark on at least there first print. However, "The River" only has the watermark on the 2014 Big Box variant. The version, you get now at CundCo, and even the reprint in "Carcassonne 2" do not have any watermark. Also, the way you describe the BB variant might confuse people: Additionally, the backs of the river tiles in this version are the light gray of standard tiles rather than the dark gray of starting tiles, and there is a new watermark on the front. A "new watermark" might be interpreted as a different watermark then before. And considering that, it's likely, that people owning the BB5 version are wondering, what type they got, since their tiles are in every aspect as described in the 2014 paragraph, but still with the "old" watermark, depicted at the top of the River chapter.

I would at least alter the text then: Additionally, for the first and currently only time, the backs of the river tiles in this version are the light gray of standard tiles rather than the dark gray of starting tiles, and there is a watermark on the front.

The text has been tweaked to emphasize that the watermark has been added rather than changed.

Offline loki

• Duke
  • Merit: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 05:13:29 PM »
I am working on  configuring a smaller custom deck and would just to to say that the Symbols and Features section of the S-CAR has been really useful when considering how to put the deck together. 

thanks again   :(y)

Offline loki

• Duke
    • View Profile
suggested revision to S-CAR footnote
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
Carcassonne Standard CAR ver. 7.4 Page 11

3  As far as the Big Box is concerned, the sixth set of (gray) followers is a part of the basic game,
not Inns and Cathedrals. Additionally, Big Box 5 adds purple and pink followers for up to 8 players.

It should perhaps acknowldege that Big Box 5 purple and pink followers are not a full sets.

Offline jcardwell3rd

• Nobleman
  • You can put it there if you want, you dont have to
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »
And here it is mid-binding.
III

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
    • View Profile
Re: suggested revision to S-CAR footnote
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »
Carcassonne Standard CAR ver. 7.4 Page 11

3  As far as the Big Box is concerned, the sixth set of (gray) followers is a part of the basic game,
not Inns and Cathedrals. Additionally, Big Box 5 adds purple and pink followers for up to 8 players.

It should perhaps acknowldege that Big Box 5 purple and pink followers are not a full sets.

Well, they have all of the purple and pink parts that you need to play what's in the box.

Offline a94marbo

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • 600+ tiles and counting....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 10:25:33 AM »
Would it be possible to share the original file? (word or what ever format)
I would like the oppurtunity to add some fan-expansion rules before I print it. PDF to word conversion do not work well with the section and chapter breaks.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 01:39:19 AM »
Welcome to the forum a94marbo.  The CAR is intended to document official and semi-official expansions to Carcassonne.  The interactions of each expansion is carefully considered during documentation.  I suspect obervet would be worried that rogue-copies would start to be shared, which may contain inaccuracies he is unable to control.  The contents of the CAR changes sequence and order between iteration too; so you may find it impossible to keep yours up to date.

There are lots and lots of fan expansions, so adding them to the CAR doesn't seem right. Perhaps it would be worth separating them into a different document. The Fan Annotated Rules, perhaps?  Maybe this is something you would like to do. Which expansions were you thinking of including?

Offline a94marbo

• Vagabond
  • 600+ tiles and counting....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 06:06:35 AM »
Ok, I was thinking to use it only for myself, just to have everything collected into the same booklet. I had no ambition to update it everytime something changed. This is a one-print occation : )

I have made tiles for: Forests, Log Cabin, Forest Fire!, Wells, Fountain of Youth and Die Stadtore.

I have re-written the rules into the same format as in CAR and was trying to figure out how to paste them in and update the List of content... : )
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:13:38 AM by a94marbo »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 08:42:03 AM »
Sounds like a great list.

I'd definitely like to see a sister document, that way it could be extended easily too. 
I bet a few others would like a document like that too; so your work wouldn't be just for you :D

Let us know how we can help :)
(make sure to reference original authors etc).

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »
I'd like to see a sister document.  The fan expansions that I have looked at on Carc Central are definitely worthy of publication.
I've created a few expansions of my own but not sure they'd be good enough but I'd happily offer them up for consideration.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Debbyg

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 09:55:40 AM »
Sorry if I'm in the completely wrong place, it's my first post.  I would really like to buy the Carcassonne Big Box 2014 - Grundspiel mit Fluss & 4 Erweiterungen [German Version] from Amazon for my son and his partner, whose family have a holiday home near Carcassonne in France.  I think they'd really enjoy the game but I don't know where to find the rules in English to download and print.  I've spent a long time researching but there are so many variations I'm finding it really confusing.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Hello Debbyg, and welcome to the forums! :) :(y)

So as I understand it you're looking to buy a Carcassonne set for your son and his partner for Christmas. Sounds like a good idea to me! However, I'm keen to know why you've chosen the 2014 Big Box for them, especially if they have no prior experience of the game? There's nothing wrong with it of course, it's just that there is another Big Box (Big Box 5) which was released more recently and should be easier to find.

With regards to the rules, these will be provided in the box for every expansion that's included in the box. If you're after English rules then you can either make sure you buy it from Z-Man games (the English language distributor) or you can just download the CAR (Complete Annotate Rules) which is a handy document for any Carcassonne player as it includes references to all of the expansions, as well as lots of other Carcassonne things.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to post again if you have anything else to consider or are seeking any further guidance!

Good luck with your decision! :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New Complete Annotated Rules v. 6.4

Started by obervet

33 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 07:30:47 PM
by coyote
xx
New Complete Annotated Rules

Started by obervet

32 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 05:41:57 AM