Author Topic: Newbie with Dragon question  (Read 3438 times)

Offline JacquesZ

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Newbie with Dragon question
« on: October 11, 2015, 07:09:06 PM »
Hello to All
This is my first question about this game.
I read carefully the CAR ( brilliant work BTW!) but have not been able to find this explanation about Dragon
If I understand well, Dragons are completely relocated ONLY when a volcano Tile is drawn, but start the 6 move sequence from their last position (i.e. The last tile after a 6 move sequence or a dead end) when a dragon tile is drawn.

So let's assume that the dragon on a previous turn has been moved up to a dead end.
So the dragon won't move at all if a player draws a dragon tile, since it's in a dead end position? And it will stay there, causing no harm, until a volcano tile is drawn?
Am I correct?
This is a newbie question, but dragon movements are not that clear for newbies!

Best regards
Jacques

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2122.0

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Newbie with Dragon question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:18:26 PM »
So let's assume that the dragon on a previous turn has been moved up to a dead end.
So the dragon won't move at all if a player draws a dragon tile, since it's in a dead end position? And it will stay there, causing no harm, until a volcano tile is drawn?
Am I correct?
No, the Dragon will then move away from the dead-end if another "Dragon Moves" tile is drawn. The "no repeat over tiles" rule only applies for each event caused by the placement of a "Dragon Moves" tile. Thus, a dead-end is only a dead-end when the Dragon cannot make a viable move during a "Dragon Moves" event. If the Dragon begins a "Dragon Moves" event in a corner, then there is still always one direction it can go and that is the direction the Dragon must go.

In other words, coming to a dead-end during the six movements of the Dragon will stop the Dragon's movement prematurely, but starting in a corner does not not mean that the Dragon starts in a dead-end. There is always one direction a Dragon can move.

I hope that helps!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 04:18:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum JacquesZ!

Offline JacquesZ

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 04:39:14 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply and friendly welcome !

I realized that we've played the Dragon the wrong way up till now, since we
moved the Dragon to the "Dragon moves" tile each time we drew one such tile and then immediately started the "6 move sequence". As a result during the game the Dragon went all over the place...
It played havoc within the Meeple community that way! The game was pretty aggressive...

To close up my questioning could you confirm my assumption?:
- When a "Volcano Tile" is placed, the Dragon moves immediately to this location, but the "6 moves sequence" is NOT initiated, no Meeple (err...follower) can be placed but the player may move the fairy as part of his(her) turn.
- The "6 moves sequence" is only initiated when a "Dragon moves" Tile is drawn and if the player elects to not place a follower OR has no more follower in stock to place, he(she) can claim and move the fairy BEFORE the "6 move sequence"

I feel the CAR (not to mention the basic rule 2 page sheet in the extension box(French version) ) should be amended to make these moves clearer in my opinion.
Regards
(Sorry for my English, I'm French!)
Jacques
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:52:42 AM by JacquesZ »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 06:38:10 AM »
To close up my questioning could you confirm my assumption?:
- When a "Volcano Tile" is placed, the Dragon moves immediately to this location, but the "6 moves sequence" is NOT initiated, no Meeple (err...follower) can be placed but the player may move the fairy as part of his(her) turn.
That's right the Dragon moves TO the Volcano, it doesn't move FROM the Volcano.

- The "6 moves sequence" is only initiated when a "Dragon moves" Tile is drawn and if the player elects to not place a follower OR has no more follower in stock to place, he(she) can claim and move the fairy BEFORE the "6 move sequence"
Not quite:
The Dragon Moves Tile is drawn.  You place your follower on the tile (or move the fairy) if you want to; just as normal.  THEN the Dragon Moves.  It will always move though; assuming it can.

I recommend you load up JCloisterZone and have a go  :(y)   Then you can join the CarcC chatroom on gamenight and play with others ;)

Offline JacquesZ

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »
Thanks guys for your wise advices!
Jacques

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Newbie question - having trouble hosting/connecting

Started by stalcupojoy

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2020, 01:37:11 AM
by totor66
xx
newbie question about scoring

Started by ngkeith

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2016, 08:12:27 AM